To sign wedding thank you cards

(18 Posts)
Gangie Sat 25-Jun-16 10:40:28

From Mrs & Mister Gangie? The way I see it is if I were signing a card from us with our first names I would automatically put my own name first. Is it fair enough or will it look like a weird kind of statement. Not trying to be controversial grin

thisonethennomore Sat 25-Jun-16 10:42:29

I'd probably just use your christian names.

useyourimagination Sat 25-Jun-16 10:42:36

Why would you be using your surname anyway though? Surely you're on first name terms with people who give you a wedding present?

MsMermaid Sat 25-Jun-16 10:44:05

I'd sign them with first names tbh. Surely all the people who gave you wedding gifts know you, so you don't need to be so formal.

I'm not sure of etiquette though, I did a cheap and cheerful wedding, and didn't send thank you cards because I'd thanked everyone on the day in person.

meditrina Sat 25-Jun-16 10:44:40

why wouldn't you be signing something as personal as an individually written thank-you with your first name? When I write thank-yous for couple/family presents, I write the message in behalf of all the recipients, and them sign only my name. Would that work for you?

If you're trying to signal the name you want to be known by now, how about getting some little labels printed up with your name/address and sticking them on the back of the envelope?

Gangie Sat 25-Jun-16 10:46:48

I wouldn't use it normally I was only thinking as it was wedding cards that it would he normal to sign mr & Mrs?

Fair point - I should just sign our first names. Iv already written a few.... Would I be unreasonable to send those?!!

FoxesOnSocks Sat 25-Jun-16 10:50:17

I Never use a title unless it's something I have to select, but if I'm signing off DH and me I put my name first. Just make sense really because it's (in a literal sense) actually off me seeing I'm the one actually writing and sending it.

Motherfuckers Sat 25-Jun-16 10:51:35

What 'weird kind of statement'?

Gangie Sat 25-Jun-16 11:16:06

Not sure really! Just a bit pompous?

TiredOfSleep Sat 25-Jun-16 20:27:19

I did all the ones to my friends with my name first and DH did all the ones to his friends etc with his name first.

maggiethemagpie Sat 25-Jun-16 22:24:30

I did mine in our christian names ie from maggie and (partner's first name)

Didn't occur to me to sign as from Mr and Mrs Magpie as would have sounded a bit too formal

Ilovewillow Sat 25-Jun-16 22:48:41

All of ours were forenames only with my name first simply because I was writing them!

PumpkinPies38 Sat 25-Jun-16 23:19:32

It just seems like your needlessly trying to make a point and have a bit of a chip on your shoulder to be honest.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Sat 25-Jun-16 23:27:25

I wish I'd put Ms MySurname and Mr HisSurname on ours. I foolishly assumed that as I didn't announce a change of name no one would address me as Mrs DHsurname and was dismayed that so many suddenly started to address me that way. I'd go with the address labels, then there's no confusion, but sign cards as firstname and firstname.

Sootica Sat 25-Jun-16 23:27:41

So you're Miss Anna Jones and he's Mr John Smith
And you have signed uour wedding cards Mr and Mrs Jones? Or Mr and Mrs Anna?
I am confused
If you are actually going to be Mr and Mrs Jones I suppose it's ok but a bit twee
If you are going to be Mr and Mrs Smith it's very weird to say Mr and Mrs Jones or Mr and Mrs Anna in any circumstances
Anna and John would be best

Sootica Sat 25-Jun-16 23:28:58

Oh god ignore me
Your question is
Mrs and Mr
Or
Mr and Mrs

Yeah put Mrs first
But you are overthinking it

HappydaysArehere Sat 25-Jun-16 23:41:38

I was always taught that you don't ever sign yourself as Mr or Mrs. It should be your Christian names (female name first) or Christian name and surname if you want to be formal. In which case the Mr or Mrs , if necessary, could be placed in brackets after your name. I always remember the head of a college telling us that an ex student had told her she was not getting anywhere with job applications (this was a long time ago). The head had looked at her letter and suggested it was because she had signed herself as Mrs......

SamWheat Sun 26-Jun-16 13:27:53

I'm trying to think how I worded our wedding thank you letters it was a long time ago
I'm sure I just used first names. Probably not the done thing etiquette wise, but hey ho. grin
For my side of the family I put my name first, and for dh's side I put his first. No idea why. I'm weird like that. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now