To be positive about the vote

(6 Posts)
loobyloo1234 Sat 25-Jun-16 09:50:27

Ok - yesterday was a tough day. We all had an opportunity to vote, thank goodness we live in a country where this right is given to us.

BUT am I wrong to think that with a strong leader, not being in the EU - may actually be a positive thing?

Currently Switzerland have an unemployment rate of 2.5% compared to a UK rate of 5.4%. Norway is at 4.1%. Both of these countries have a lower unemployment rate and are not in the EU.

They also have two of the strongest economies in Europe. Again, despite being in the EU.

Whilst their cost of living is higher, their average national wage is higher which presumably helps with this.

Could we benefit from not being in the EU after all? Thoughts?

JudyCoolibar Sat 25-Jun-16 09:54:27

No, we couldn't. The Union will be split, we will lose Scotland and Gibraltar. Our circumstances are nothing like Norway's and Switzerland's.

SmallBee Sat 25-Jun-16 10:03:50

Zimbabwe isn't in the EU either.

Norway still has to agree to all the EU rules in order to get the trade agreements they want and also happen to be one of the richer countries globally. We've just lost our last AAA credit rating.

Half my family are Swiss and none of them can believe what we've done.

Perhaps in the long term (10-20 years) we will be better off.
However trade agreements between EU and non EU countries may take more than two years to hammer out. Yes it's a case of short term pain for potential long term gain but my personal short term involves being pregnant and having a two year old and a enormous mortgage and Oh yes, being made redundant on Thursday. At a time of huge economic uncertainty. I'm fucking terrified and no one can give me any immediate and concrete reasons not to be.
And I live in an affluent area, I am lucky. I can't imagine how much worse it'll be for those in less well off areas.

Ps I would be delighted to be corrected on any of this, I don't want it to be true)

GhostofFrankGrimes Sat 25-Jun-16 10:05:51

perhaps Brexiters could tell us what happens now?

ShowOfHands Sat 25-Jun-16 10:07:36

Could you post in the relevant topic where all this and more is being discussed already.

loobyloo1234 Sat 25-Jun-16 10:16:54

ShowOfHands

Who are you referring to? hmm I haven't seen a similar post to this so hopefully not me?

Smallbee

I understand your concerns. Mine was a genuine question though. I would hope someone from Leave can answer with some positives hence my thread

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now