Donna air. Master chef. Wtf has happened to her accent

(39 Posts)
monkeysox Fri 24-Jun-16 21:32:13

We aye bonnie lass. Where's her geordie accent gone!? Have I misheard. Aibu

McButtonwillow Fri 24-Jun-16 21:36:01

I know she's gone vair posh over the last few years.

Crunchymum Fri 24-Jun-16 22:25:31

She is with James Middleton (Kate Middleton's brother)

Not sure if this has had any baring on her losing her regional accent.

fourquenelles Fri 24-Jun-16 22:28:53

The MN telly addicts Masterchef crowd think she is channelling Kylie Minogue.

MintyChapstick Fri 24-Jun-16 22:29:25

She sounds so stupid doesn't she? It's not a natural softening of her Geordie accent either, it's an affected and obviously put on 'posh' voice and makes her sound like a twat.

I remember when she used to be on MTV in the late 90's and was so broad Geordie she would've made Cheryl Tweedy- Cole -Fernandez Versini- Tweedy sound like the bloody Queen.

carabos Fri 24-Jun-16 22:29:42

She has an obvious north-east accent, albeit softened by years of living away. She sounds like me.

Bumshkawahwah Fri 24-Jun-16 22:32:33

She's been well and truly de-Geordied. I'm always a bit disappointed when someone famous (well, famous-ish) ditches their regional accent.

chanie44 Fri 24-Jun-16 22:41:08

The father of her daughter is posh and I think her relationship with him was probably the influence, not James Middleton.

I'd like to add geri halliwell into the mix.

woodwaj Fri 24-Jun-16 22:41:16

I thought this when we watched. It makes her sound dumb! It's so false. Entertaining viewing though...Can't tell you what she cooked though 😅

spongebob5 Fri 24-Jun-16 22:41:57

She really needs to eat some of the food too, she looks so thin 😳

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 24-Jun-16 22:47:25

I doubt she has lived in the North East for 20 years. Why on earth should she still have her original accent?

I used to sound like an extra from Stella. 30 years and a dozen places later, I'm fairly bland and BBCish.

SharonBottsPoundOfGrapes Sat 25-Jun-16 00:03:44

Donna Air has always been very slender. Bit of a mean comment sponge bob. My favourite probably made up Donna Air fact is that she asked the Corrs how they all met? grin

VioletBam Sat 25-Jun-16 02:00:49

I'm from the North of England and my accent is now shredded thanks to years in London and Australia. It happens! Get over it.

KC225 Sat 25-Jun-16 02:12:58

Sharonbot

Hahahaha

QueenofLouisiana Sat 25-Jun-16 07:13:25

You'd find it difficult to know that I am from Tyneside- my accent is pretty much gone. It certainly wasn't a deliberate choice, I'm hugely proud of my regional background and I love listening to people from "home". My accent reappears when I'm pissed when I go back.

SpiceLinerandHoneyLove Sat 25-Jun-16 08:44:18

Just watched on iPlayer. She still sounds like a northern lass to me, but I'm a polar opposite inbred southerner who would probably sound like a farmer to her!

NavyAndWhite Sat 25-Jun-16 08:50:13

I said last night ' she looks like Donna Air but with a posh accent ' shock

Jellybean83 Sat 25-Jun-16 08:54:18

I think it just depends on the person in regards to losing your accent. I work with a woman who is from Liverpool, she has lived in Scotland for over 40 years now and she still has a strong Liverpool accent, not a hint of Scottish at all, yet my auntie and gran who are both Scottish moved to Manchester 25 years ago, auntie sounds like she's lived there all her life with her little English twang, gran still has her Scottish accent and you'd never know she's lived there that long.

I did notice a wee bit of Geordie coming from Donna Air when they were at the football stadium, when she didn't think everything was going to be ready on time and was a bit stressed.

Fairylea Sat 25-Jun-16 08:57:10

I didn't recognise her at first. She looks so old! Can't believe she's the same age as me (and I don't look particularly young either)! I thought she was mid 40s easily.

GrayJane Sat 25-Jun-16 09:04:04

What a horrible post/s. So what if she has lost or changed her accent. So what if she is 'putting it on'. So what. For whatever reason, she's done quite well in life. Congratulations Donna. Any chance we can stop slagging off women for a change for absolutely nothing?

NavyAndWhite Sat 25-Jun-16 09:07:25

Sorry GrayJane Donna

bearofnothingness Sat 25-Jun-16 09:08:25

I thought she looked great and sounded same as she always did. Tommy cannon looked like skeletor

liz70 Sat 25-Jun-16 09:09:27

Giving herself airs, is she? wink

bearofnothingness Sat 25-Jun-16 09:10:12

He also kept grabbing her every five minutes

feesh Sat 25-Jun-16 09:13:03

She's been something of a London socialite for years now, since she was with that Aspinall bloke. So she's probably lost her accent quite naturally - you know, like when backpackers pick up that annoying inflection at the end of their sentences after spending 6 weeks in Oz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now