To ask who are going to lose and who are going to gain from leaving the e u ?

(21 Posts)
ginorwine Fri 24-Jun-16 17:47:16

I'd rather we all as a nation be benefitted from a better society - and I thought to remain would have been better .

I would be Intrested to know from those who voted leave how they thought it would benefit society as a whole or on balance . ?

I'm hearing things like that the young of today will struggle due to less jobs now , but I have read also that some voted exit to support young folk and to bring house prices down via a crash in the market so that they could get on the property ladder . Etc etc - so for some leave meant to protect England and the future .
I'm concerned also that some social groups seem to be saying that they voted out as they hate the privilidge that Cameron supported, but my own view is they have put us into the hands of an even more extreme elite which will only compound the situation ?
I get the impression that quite a few people voted to support the "average British working person" , support our Britain etc - in their own view of what constitutes that - but this action has actually delivered power into the hands of people who will not give a damm about that very demographic ? I'm not saying all voted leave from this perspective but I'm concerned that if people voted leave to try to improve lives this vote may sadly disappoint .

Surly knowing that this gov has a conservative standpoint and that this perspective will not be tempered by the eu now - means that the leavers are going to potentially get less than what they wanted not more by allowing power to go over to those more right wing that Cameron ?
I would rather us all benefit from any changes but I'm wondering if what people think they voted for is in any way what they will get ?-
I presume that one thing that maybe they hoped for was a fairer society - and if we don't get that who will be the " winners " and who will be the " losers ".?
It feels to me that part of some groups of people pro exit may have been used as vote bait - - not all exit of course - but for eg Some (not all )financially more vulnerable - were used and led by propaganda and promise and the people who they voted for will not give two hoots about them now ?

eyebrowsonfleek Fri 24-Jun-16 17:53:42

The lawyers win. They have to untangle Britain from the EU and write new UK laws/adjust the current ones.

I think there's a mixture of winners and losers.
Winners - Boris Johnson (assume he's gonna be next PM)
Nigel Farage (keeps job and is all over the media)

randomsabreuse Fri 24-Jun-16 17:55:42

Lawyers and clever bankers betting both ways win, super rich float above, everyone else loses...

wasonthelist Fri 24-Jun-16 17:55:43

Er Farage looses job surely - he's an MEP.

Marsquared Fri 24-Jun-16 17:58:00

You're asking this on mumsnet. The answer you will get is that every single person will lose and the world is going to end.

HTH

Noodledoodledoo Fri 24-Jun-16 18:06:20

Well personally there is a strong likelyhood my husbands multinational company will relocate as will require a base in the EU which they don't currently have as the operation is based in the UK.

Funding for his company which a lot of which comes from the EU will dry up or be pushed towards EU based companies in the same sector.

So we have a real risk of him being made redundant in the future.

I am not being dramatic - just stating the facts as we understand them currently - a huge level of uncertainty for us. My job is 'safe' except it is public sector so ............

ghostyslovesheep Fri 24-Jun-16 18:09:44

I will have funding for part of my job removed as its from the ESF

FuriousFate Fri 24-Jun-16 18:11:34

Ironically, the biggest losers will be those very people who voted to leave but actually benefited from EU membership - those in rundown areas that received EU subsidies, who voted to leave as they felt marginalized/disaffected. They've effectively screwed themselves over. Along with the rest of us...

mrsm43s Fri 24-Jun-16 18:19:06

I think the very rich will be fine. They have reserves to tide them over and skills that could move to other countries.

I think the elder generation will be fine. They don't need jobs, and mainly have final salary/defined benefit pensions, don't need to move house.

I think the middle classes and working classes will suffer the most pain and disruption - loss of jobs,thrown into unemployment and financial hardship, negative equity.

I think the young will have a tough time. Universities will suffer, so presumably fees will increase. Jobs will be scarce, mobility limited. However this group probably have the advantage of being young and able to adapt.

Helmetbymidnight Fri 24-Jun-16 18:29:17

Well the Welsh and the Cornish who have been massive beneficiaries of eu money voted out so maybe they know something we don't know...

I dunno op- the city of London will change- the rich are immune from job loss but normal workers aren't.

lljkk Fri 24-Jun-16 20:09:00

DD wants to be a corporate lawyer. There are huge opportunities for people like her post-Brexit, to do with the more complicated treaty & trade arrangements we will have.

mirime Fri 24-Jun-16 20:30:17

The Welsh have been idiots - I'm Welsh so I can say it! Seriously though, deprived areas in Wales get more EU funding than a Conservative government will ever give them so if they've voted leave out of anger at austerity and as a 'fuck you' to Cameron they have just caused more problems for themselves. I don't get it.

Mymakeup72 Fri 24-Jun-16 20:31:51

Cameron - lose although I'm sure his millions and book deal will soften the blow.

Osborne - lose ruined his chances of becoming PM with his ridiculously OTT scaremongering

Anyone who is going on holiday and not yet bought their euros and dollars - lose and this could get worse.

Investors in futures who gambled on a remain - they will lose

Investors who gambled on an out vote - win.

People with shares in housebuilders and nothing else who need money soon - lose (and often staff with sharesave schemes as many banking staff found out in 2008)

Johnson and Farage - win

American and European tourists visiting the Uk - win (especially Americans)

People with tracker mortgages - could be a short term win as interest rates predicted to be cut.

People on low incomes - lose as food prices likely to rise. Especially
Imported food.

City workers - could lose if companies decide to relocate

People who regularly bring back cigarettes from Europe - lose as eventually this will go back to limited amounts.

Ex pats - could lose if stay abroad
as some expats in some non eu countries do not get inflation linked pension rises.

Exporters - win

People who hold shares in companies where a lot of the earnings are in US dollars - win die to devaluation of pound. Astra Zeneca and Glaxo spring to mind.

Importers - lose

Holidaymakers- lose due to higher hotel prices due to devaluation of pound and less foreign money to spend for the pound.

I'm sure there are many more winners and losers

Girlgonewild Fri 24-Jun-16 21:16:06

Yes, the turkeys voted for Christmas on this. All my family are upset today and we all voted Remain but as I said to them all we will not lose in this - we are fairly successful high earning educated etc etc etc The people who will lose out are the ones who voted to leave, if only they had realised it.

We just have to make the best of it now.

staghunter Fri 24-Jun-16 21:26:42

I work in law and received a lot of marketing emails from solicitors and chambers today saying " we can help". In the short term many lawyers will be absolutely quids in.

SelinaMeyerVP Sat 25-Jun-16 08:49:10

those in rundown areas that received EU subsidies what subsidies would these be then?

Helmetbymidnight Sat 25-Jun-16 08:51:38

Cornwall has received a billion in aid over the last 15 years.

Cornwall Council leader John Pollard said he wanted "investment equal to that provided by the EU programme".

WTAF

SelinaMeyerVP Sat 25-Jun-16 08:52:32

we will not lose in this - we are fairly successful high earning educated etc etc etc The people who will lose out are the ones who voted to leave, if only they had realised it. so your career depends on how you voted not your education? Right.

StandoutMop Sat 25-Jun-16 08:56:58

The deal to buy the company DH works for is likely to fall through. US buyers wanted access to Europe, plus currently more than 50% of business is UK and buyers worried about UK recession.

Only about 70 jobs, but they will be losers and, as DH is main wage earner, my family will be too.

Helmetbymidnight Sat 25-Jun-16 09:01:56

we will not lose in this - we are fairly successful high earning educated etc etc etc The people who will lose out are the ones who voted to leave, if only they had realised it. so your career depends on how you voted not your education? Right.

Um, she is clearly saying that she is better insulated to cope with the coming storms than many people, especially those who have voted leave.

Its obvious that the richer you are, the less damaged you will be by recession, no?

mixety Sat 25-Jun-16 09:10:05

I am British living and working in another EU country

Lose - At some point I will have to go through the lengthy, bureaucratic, time-consuming process of applying for nationality here or whatever visa-type system may be put in place.

Lose - No idea what will happen to agreements between the two countries re: pensions, double taxation, inheritance etc

Lose - Will have to change my driving license as my British one will no longer be valid, and the process for changing it is ridiculously complicated

Win - I earn my salary in Euros and now have increased spending power when I am back in the UK or transferring money over for student loan repayments etc

Lose - Have recently inherited money in the UK which will now be worth a lot less if I transfer it over here into Euros.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now