To ask what people mean by 'educated?'

(76 Posts)
Hopskipjump0711 Fri 24-Jun-16 17:14:22

All I have seen on posts regarding the refurendum vote are people stating how 'educated' they were in their decision, versus those who weren't. I am interested to know how you define 'educated?'

Are we talking, you read a newspaper, a leaflet that came through the door and you watched Eddie Izzard vs Nigel Farage on Question Time 'educated?'
Or, you have a political degree and are a member of a party 'educated?'

katemiddletonsnudeheels Fri 24-Jun-16 17:15:36

In that context, 'right, and anyone who disagrees, is wrong.'

mouldycheesefan Fri 24-Jun-16 17:17:36

Educated to me means to degree level. But really it means nothing, it's completely subjective. I think the suggestion is that those who voted to leave are less likely to have a degree level education.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 24-Jun-16 17:18:30

I think there's different ways to look at it.

Level of education: GCSEs, A Levels, University, Post Grad.

Then there's whether someone is educated about the issue: read different sources, hopefully some primary sources, listened to all sides.

Then there's people who are generally widely read and have self-educated, maybe not on the actual issue.

I would say people often mean the first one.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 24-Jun-16 17:20:58

for me - in this context I would say it's having an understanding of the implication of leave and remain and the ability to see past the lies spin

so for example - on immigration - understanding that 70% of out immigration is none EU and that negotiating a trade agreement with the EU on leaving would probably (would!) mean no change in free movement

Rather than just shouting about 'taking back our country' !

Oysterbabe Fri 24-Jun-16 17:23:13

To me it just means intelligent with a good knowledge and understanding of the issues.

WhiskyTangoFoxtrot Fri 24-Jun-16 17:23:17

It means everyone in the north is a thickie (either unable to think, or just ignorant in comparison)

I think that thread was divisive and a disgrace.

ghostyslovesheep Fri 24-Jun-16 17:26:05

or understanding that you where not electing the leave campaign so all their promises where not actual promises - £350million a week to the NHS hmm

mouldycheesefan Fri 24-Jun-16 17:30:14

Agree with ghosty.
Also able to follow independent economic advice. Or understand that when the statistics authority says the claim about the £350m saving each week is misleading, that probably means it ain't true...🙄

RedYellow046 Fri 24-Jun-16 17:36:48

I think what people usually mean is that they have a degree. Failing to take in to account that people are able to have a degree and not be up to date with politics, and vice versa.

allegretto Fri 24-Jun-16 17:38:32

Being able to evaluate different sources of information and to understand that not everyone who posts on FB/puts a leaflet through your door is necessarily telling the truth.

Hulababy Fri 24-Jun-16 17:40:10

Amongst the people I have heard use the phrase 'educated' linked to the EU it has meant educated as in degree/university education.

As in "educated people are more likely to have voted to remain" meaning 'those people who are educated to university level and beyond, and usually in professional jobs requiring such education levels, are more likely to have voted to remain."

bruffin Fri 24-Jun-16 17:40:38

I dont think it means intelligent. There are a lot of overeducated dunning kruger types on mn

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 24-Jun-16 17:43:59

In the case of the referendum it is becoming very clear that "educated" means agreeing with staying in the EU, and uneducated means leaving.

Of course this definition is taken from those that wanted to stay in the EU.

Frankly I wish everyone would just grow the fuck up.

PacificDogwod Fri 24-Jun-16 17:49:06

In the context of the EU referendum it means 'capable of critical reading' or 'able to look beyond the sound bites'.
Nothing to do with formal education IMO.

As far as analysis of the result goes it does however appear that those more affluent/with higher levels of formal education were more likely to vote 'remain'.
Interesting analysis halfway down the page

I wish there was less 'FFSs' or 'idiots' being thrown about. And I am saying that as somebody who is not happy about the result.

Egosumquisum Fri 24-Jun-16 17:50:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hopskipjump0711 Fri 24-Jun-16 17:50:28

I don't see how having a degree in performing arts would mean you have a more 'educated' vote than someone who has an GCSE in politics, for instance? If someone is coming at it from that angle then surely they are being ridiculous?

MrsJayy Fri 24-Jun-16 17:53:19

Well i went to school i am able to read and understand things but on mumsnet that does not mean educated which is a shame

PacificDogwod Fri 24-Jun-16 17:55:23

I know many people who have many qualifications and are still quite hard of thinking in some respects - I don't think that 'no degree' = 'stoopid'. At all.

MrsJ, I get I could venture a guess which way you voted! grin
Degree, deschmee , pfhhhhhh!!

Smartiepants79 Fri 24-Jun-16 17:55:40

I suppose I mean someone with degree level qualifications and also well read and keeps up with current affairs.
Could mean just well and widely read and keeps up with current affairs.

MrsJayy Fri 24-Jun-16 17:57:17

Go on gies a guess grin

RedYellow046 Fri 24-Jun-16 17:57:22

Absolutely agree. It's a ridiculous notion. How does graphics design, dance, games design help with these decisions? Hell, how do more "respected" degrees such as maths, chemistry, etc, have any influence on how well informed someone is?

Like someone above said, it's correlation not causation but people seem to be trying to spin it otherwise, as if the "dumb" ("uneducated") are the reason for the vote going against them.

Egosumquisum Fri 24-Jun-16 17:59:52

Egosumquisum Fri 24-Jun-16 18:01:48

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 24-Jun-16 18:12:50

Well TBF almost any degree teaches you; to check sources, properly reference, the difference between primary sources and others, to be cynical about information depending on where it comes from, to discuss and debate differences and to read.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now