How do other Europeans living in UK feel about today's result?

(17 Posts)
follygirl Fri 24-Jun-16 11:15:18

I'm Dutch with a Dutch passport as both my parents are Dutch. I've lived in England since 1977 and am married to a Brit. I love living in England and have no desire to leave.

Although I disagree with the result, the majority have spoken and the decision has been made. I'm uneasy about the vitriol expressed by both sides and I really hope that this will not cause a big divide in the country.

On a practical level I guess that I will have to apply for British Citizenship or maybe even a passport.

On a personal level, my two children are terrified that I'm going to be 'kicked out', even though I've reassured them that this won't happen. Well not for 2 years at least!

It all feels very unsettling.

NoCakeLeft Fri 24-Jun-16 12:11:03

I am just lost. I don't know how I feel. Scared, I suppose.
DH is British and he is also rather quiet today. We'll wait and see, what will happen and then make a decision about whether to stay here or move somewhere else.

AllegraWho Fri 24-Jun-16 12:22:36

I am sitting here like this shock at the number of people who appear to think that they have voted - and won the vote - for the right to tell all the immigrants to "fuck off back home".

Have I woken up in the Twilight Zone today ?

SummerSazz Fri 24-Jun-16 12:25:46

My Irish colleague married to a is broken today. I love our European neighbours - such a sad day for our country.

JackTheFrontLoader Fri 24-Jun-16 12:46:00

My DP is European, he said it feels personal. I feel defensive towards him and our children.

JackTheFrontLoader Fri 24-Jun-16 12:46:48

(Defensive as in I feel people are getting at them... I guess it feels personal for me too though I am British)

fijennin Fri 24-Jun-16 12:48:07

Devastated on so many levels. I cried this morning after seeing it.

originalmavis Fri 24-Jun-16 12:49:06

Look - I'm Scottish and if the snp fuckers have their way, I will get kicked out too!

What a bloody mess.

IronCurtain Fri 24-Jun-16 12:53:32

I'm heartbroken. I am one of the dreaded Eastern Europeans and have never felt so unwelcome here as I do today.

scaryteacher Fri 24-Jun-16 12:54:05

We have voted to leave a supranational political structure (or at least I did), not to kick anyone out. We are still allies in NATO, and neighbours geographically; we will still work, live and holiday in each others countries (I hope). I for one didn't want to be governed from Brussels by people I cannot vote to remove.

It's a shame that people can't see that it is possible to vote to leave the EU (a political structure), and still want to be friends and neighbours with European countries.

Oriunda Fri 24-Jun-16 13:02:41

DH is Italian. I feel absolutely sick about this. He works in the City too so jobs at risk. Was due to confirm going ahead with building works today but probably putting on hold now. So begins the trickle down affect on the housing and building trade.

Oriunda Fri 24-Jun-16 13:03:37

Effect rather!

Lottielou7 Fri 24-Jun-16 13:05:09

IronCurtain sad

icanteven Fri 24-Jun-16 13:08:29

We're Irish, and we're very sad and angry. We live in a part of the UK that voted overwhelmingly remain, incidentally.

In the long term, I don't think it will make any difference to our status here - the Irish have a relationship with the UK that transcends the EU, which was even written into our independence treaties, so there is never likely to be any difficulty with our residency here, but the result makes me angry and anxious (for my business).

Ailicece Fri 24-Jun-16 13:43:31

This article illustrates pretty much exactly how I feel.

I've been here for over 20 years and DH is Irish, plus DC are British and Irish, so I'm not worried about not being able to stay. We also run a business each, employing other people.

Not sure we want to stay anymore though. Like the author of the article, I feel that this is no longer the country that embraced me and that I fell in love with all those years ago. This morning DH said that if it was just the two of us we'd leave, right away. It's complicated as we have DC's to consider but right now I'm leaning towards leaving. Luckily our businesses can be based anywhere in the EU.

Oh and Oriunda, we have also decided to cancel our plans for (extensive) building works and remodelling of our house. Not worth it, even if we do stay, as we'll no longer get back what we put in as prices fall.

BikeGeek Fri 24-Jun-16 13:46:24

I'm British but OH is from elsewhere in Europe. He is very down today, it would be easier if we knew exactly where we stood.

His company has approx. 30% of its workforce made up of non British EU citizens as it is the European headquarters so likely to be a significant impact.

SquidgeyMidgey Fri 24-Jun-16 14:11:54

IronCurtain that's awful flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now