CHRISTMAS shopping

(25 Posts)
anahata Fri 24-Jun-16 09:19:13

As I've just said in another thread, currently in HDU after major op. Very drugged but very bored too.

A few friends have been texting ke. 2 of those separately have told me they've started. Another friend is buying a gift card from the selection in supermarkets every time she does a shop, so 1 week a £10 fatface card, next week an Amazon one etc. I thought that's a clever idea.

Please keep me entertained. So tired and bored but so noisy in here. Granted it's machines keeping me alive, but I'd love some sleep!

divafever99 Fri 24-Jun-16 09:25:19

I start my Christmas shopping in January, and add to it throughout the year. Its the only way I could afford it due to having large extended family to buy for. I often stock up on fragrance sets in January that are often half price in boots. I buy children's gifts (toys/clothes) when they are on offer during the year. I have saved £££'s over the years. Wishing you a speedy recovery op flowers

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 24-Jun-16 09:27:02

Not buying yet. But cross stitching some cards.
Hope you are getting better.

MsWorthington Fri 24-Jun-16 09:30:16

I like to pick up Bargins when I see them. I found Yankee candle tart burners and tarts at a massive discount in the Ashford outlet centre so I got one each plus some wax tarts for sisters and SIL. I'm now wating for Smiggle to have its summer sale to pick up stocking bits for DD, I did that last year and it worked well.

anahata Fri 24-Jun-16 09:32:58

Thank you x

LilQueenie Fri 24-Jun-16 09:33:39

Hope you feel better soon and I wish you a speedy recovery.

I haven't really started the big shop yet but DD birthday is coming up so as so after that it will be stockpiling time. I found a great FB bargain page thanks to mumsnet that has been invaluable. Most things I buy are reduced/sale/raffle items. I do a lot of online raffles. Practically what saved DD's Christmas a few years ago.

anahata Fri 24-Jun-16 09:34:44

Ms Worthing, I did not know about this. Is it just Yankee there? Ashford in Kent,

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 24-Jun-16 09:52:38

D'you know there's only 183 days to go fgrin

In 6 months time it'll be Christmas Eve.
Not that I'm counting or anything --on the Christmas Thread of course fgrin

Just need to galvanise my work collegues into deciding and get booking our Works Do

Not started shopping yet, I like the idea of Gift Vouchers (then I can spend any extra) just make sure they're in date .

Barmaid101 Fri 24-Jun-16 09:55:29

I pick up bits all throughout the year you don't notice the cost that way

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 24-Jun-16 09:55:45

BTW are your friends winding you up with all this Christmas chitter chatter.?

There's you, post surgery and probably in pain (Get Well Soon) and they're sending you Christmas posts ......when you get back to the real world you can marmalize them wink

MsWorthington Fri 24-Jun-16 10:02:10

Yes, Ashford in Kent. It's a big outlet mall, we normally go there to get school shoes as they have a Clarks shop. Lots of high street names, M and S, gap, Fat face, Crocs and so on. I don't like the place much, it's an outdoor mall with the car park in the middle and the shops set around the edge, so it manages to be both cold and closed in at the same time, and the facilities are pretty rubbish, however it is good for bargains.

Eeyore86 Fri 24-Jun-16 10:06:06

I tend to shop all year round, starting in the Christmas sales as kids clothes, scarfs etc always come in handy and you can get some good bargains.

Had a discussion with my DB and parents last week about buying for my DN so we don't get the same things (we all but in advance seems to be a family tradition) my DP thinks I'm bonkers though (he's happy with his sisters birthday presents being cheaper bough due to this system)

When I was in hospital I tended to shop for random bits for either Christmas or holidays (or both) as it passes the time

Feel better

Witchend Fri 24-Jun-16 12:00:48

I once started my Christmas shopping in January. I bought Christmas cards in the sales.
Two house moves and 15 years later they have not yet emerged.

I think this was giving me a big hint.

LineyReborn Fri 24-Jun-16 12:04:17

How long are the gift cards valid for, though?

I had one from H&M and I lost all the money on it because it became out of date within a year. And it was bought six months before Xmas but I didn't know that so saved it to use in the summer.

wheresthel1ght Fri 24-Jun-16 16:48:37

I tend to buy all year round to attend the cost. Keep my eye on Amazon bits as they often do some amazing deals and also places like The Book People.

Sales are also excellent for kids toys and clothes.

I do like the idea of the gift vouchers on the weekly shop. I might do that next year!

My parents have a particular store card that they never use for actually shopping there. Instead they pay £20 a month into it and then use that to buy Christmas pressies

RuggerHug Fri 24-Jun-16 18:21:22

Yup, the spreadsheet says that this payday was the one to start (I start earlier every year). Hope you feel better soon and have a speedy recovery! Do you think your friends are sending the messages in an odd to cheer you up way? As in it's not fun where you are now but we're planning super Christmas stuff? Or am I just reaching? smile

Glassofwineneeded Fri 24-Jun-16 18:30:03

I have just doubled up my tesco points and bought lego for ds for Christmas.
I love the ashford outlet! Other than the food court which is a bit pants! I was there a few weeks ago and bought a few bits from Yankee candle too!
I buy bits and pieces as and when I see them.
Hope you're soon out of hospital OP.

ShelaghTurner Fri 24-Jun-16 18:45:53

I've started too. Christmas plus both dds birthdays a fortnight after makes it a very expensive time of year.

Sn0tnose Fri 24-Jun-16 19:52:11

I started last month. It's the first time I've started before December and I'm loving it!

If anyone is coming to Ashford specifically for the outlet centre, I'd suggest also nipping over to Sevington, which is just up the road. There's a Boots, Argos, TK Maxx, Dunelm Mill, HobbyCraft and a B&M, as well as a couple of other stores. It's a way out of the town centre, but definitely worth a look for a few bargains.

wheresthel1ght Fri 24-Jun-16 20:51:04

Another vote for the ashford outlet!

I haven't lived there for a while but the home shop place by the bollards at the top of beaver road used to be good for trinket type gifts as well as candles and the like

CakeNinja Fri 24-Jun-16 21:36:37

You need new friends shock
I'd glare and cold shoulder anyone who talked to me about Christmas shopping in JUNE grin
But then I do all mine in 2 days in December, and that's with 40 odd to buy for!!
And I do understand the spreading the cost argument, but then why not just put that money aside every month or whatever?
You then have to store things and how the hell do you know what people want or might like or be interested in this early in the year?!

Hope you got some rest and are well soon flowers

NarkyKnockers Fri 24-Jun-16 21:55:33

I get that spreading the cost over the year helps but I'd rather get less expensive stuff nearer the time that I know my dc will like than sale stuff in January that they may well have no interest in by December. Plus I couldn't put it away - I'd be thinking of the wasted 11 months that it could have been being played with!

woodwaj Fri 24-Jun-16 22:48:11

You need to join us on the Christmas bargains thread. Its quite quiet now but it's picking up and it does get very busy!

BestZebbie Fri 24-Jun-16 23:15:07

Not shopping yet, but yesterday I started looking for ideas for crafts that a toddler could give as xmas gifts to an adult, which an adult might actually use (if they really loved that particular toddler). I do also put stuff away during the year which then comes out at a suitable moment or for birthday/xmas if that arrives sooner, though.

PS. Currently I am trying to think of something slightly tasteful that could be done with sharpie chromatography, like maybe covering a notepad with part of some done on blotting paper - I am very open to further ideas.

Guiltypleasures001 Sat 25-Jun-16 00:06:43

Hi op hope you feel better soon

I've got a teen son and ASOS have a half price sale on, so I'll stock pile Superdry while I can grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now