Neighbours dogs

(19 Posts)
justalittlelemondrizzle Thu 23-Jun-16 16:27:42

So my ndn has two big dogs. They're constantly barking at us whenever were in the garden as well as the neighbours on the other side and at people in the gardens behind us. It's constant. They aren't taken for walks so are sent to the garden to do their business and for a run around.
Between our gardens are hedges. Part of which wasn't cut right in the past so is bare so they always see us. Another part of the hedge is where one of the dogs likes to push through and sometimes leave me presents. I keep my garden nice. I don't want your dog's and cats shit in my garden. I recently replaced the chicken wire he'd broken and today he's broke through it again. I came in and found him wandering round my garden barking. The other dog never comes in. He couldn't get back through the hedge so I had to coax him round the front and knock on their door. They said "oh" and that was it. I was surrounded by kids at the time so I said nothing. They didn't seem to care where I found him, whether he was on the road or up the street. Not even a thanks or an apology.
What can I do. I'm getting really sick of it.

fieldfare Thu 23-Jun-16 16:30:51

If you can afford to, put up a proper fence.
I'd actually talk with the neighbour and ask them to share the cost of a new fence with you as keeping their dogs in their own garden is their responsibility.

justalittlelemondrizzle Thu 23-Jun-16 16:34:42

They don't speak. So many times I've said hello and they ignore me. They do the same to DH and other neighbours have said the same. They're very unapproachable and I very much doubt they will pay anything out by looking at their house and gardens. I've looked into and really want fencing on that side but DH isn't keen.

DJBaggieSmalls Thu 23-Jun-16 16:36:38

Call the dog warden when you find their unfriendly dogs are out. They will have to pay to get them back.
Its up to them to put up a decent fence.

RebelRogue Thu 23-Jun-16 16:38:59

Call rspca next time and pretend you don't know who the dog belongs to?
Do they rent or own?
If they won't speak maybe pop them a letter through the letter box. It's not your responsibility to keep the dog out of your garden and/or return it,it's theirs.

justalittlelemondrizzle Thu 23-Jun-16 16:40:58

The dog never goes out the front. I've shamefully left my gate open the last few weeks. Thinking if he wanders out onto the front they will have to do something and make changes to keep him safe. (It's a quiet and safe road so no harm would come to him btw) They're perfectly happy for him to come in my garden. I think he was been doing it for years before we moved in. Can I call someone if he is in my garden?

justalittlelemondrizzle Thu 23-Jun-16 16:42:24

They own so no landlord I can complain to hmm that would have been easier

ineedwine99 Thu 23-Jun-16 16:48:21

I'd try RSPCA, they are irresponsible owners and maybe if they were visited by a welfare investigator they might start to look after the dogs properly

Laiste Thu 23-Jun-16 16:50:33

They have a responsibility to keep their animals on their own land.

Email the dog warden at your local council, explain the problem. You'll find the address on the council website. Ours was really helpful and responded very quickly when we had a similar prob recently.

Mycraneisfixed Thu 23-Jun-16 16:54:11

Get a fence! You can plant stuff in front of it to hide it. Doesn't address the barking though.

justalittlelemondrizzle Thu 23-Jun-16 16:55:48

To be honest I think it would greatly reduce the barking as it is us they mainly see and bark at due to the bare part of the hedge.

DJBaggieSmalls Thu 23-Jun-16 16:56:04

If the dog is in your garden you can call the dog warden.

AliceInUnderpants Thu 23-Jun-16 16:58:20

I would also be calling the dog warden every time you found the dog on your property.

justalittlelemondrizzle Thu 23-Jun-16 16:59:55

I think a letter is the best way to go before I get dog wardens involved. Any ideas on what to write for maximum effect. Regarding keeping dogs on their land, happy to go halves on fencing. (I do want the nice side of the fenceflowers)
Just to give you an idea of their confinement techniques.
In the past they lent a pice of wood up against the gap in the hedge. That didn't last long.

justalittlelemondrizzle Thu 23-Jun-16 17:00:58

Piece*

summerainbow Thu 23-Jun-16 17:17:51

Who owns the hedge?

justalittlelemondrizzle Thu 23-Jun-16 17:25:03

I have no idea. Dont we both own it. We only bought the house last year. The irony is when we came to view it the dog was in the garden. We thought a bit of chicken wire would solve it at the time.

Nanny0gg Thu 23-Jun-16 18:12:54

Why do you think neighbours that don't speak will respond to a letter?

And you need to check your deeds to find the boundary line before you put up a fence. (unless you do it your side of the hedge. But then you could lose a couple of feet of garden)

justalittlelemondrizzle Thu 23-Jun-16 19:13:22

Thanks Nanny. I think I know where the boundary is but I will double check tonight. I'm hoping DH knows where the deeds are because I certainly don't.
I really do want a fence now. I'm sick of the lack of privacy aswell as the dog issue. I hate being able to see into their messy, overgrown garden. I'd share a photo but it may out me.
I really don't expect them to actually respond to the letter but it may prompt them to take some steps to secure their side of the hedge in the meantime. We can't afford fences at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now