About gifts and cards?

(3 Posts)
HamletsSister Thu 23-Jun-16 12:38:41

Firstly, I am off away from the computer until at least tomorrow lunchtime (trip) so, apologies if I can't reply before then.

I work in a place where we are always collecting for something - staff leaving, a card for someone who is sick / bereaved etc. There is one person who has appointed herself in charge of this and it seems to have become very, very uneven. Some examples:

1. Three staff lost parents, all within a short space of time, plus one lost a FiL. Only the 1 out of the 4 who took a lot of time off (therefore, I suppose being judged as the most upset) got any kind of card / gift. The rest, including me, got nothing.

2. Three different members of staff have all been very seriously ill. 1 died. The one who died, and one other were off having chemo etc over a period of about a year. No cards, gifts. The other one is on her second round of collections, flowers etc.

3. The levels of gifts are dictated by the amount collected, which is fine. However, a current collection, where 2 people are leaving, seems to have been a single pot of money, then unevenly split between the 2 people.

I am only marginally affected (was bereaved, no card). And in all the other cases, I have sent my own cards, condolences etc. But AIBU to think that this is not really on and that, in a small organisation, there needs to be some recognition that we do notice. A colleague came to see me to say how sorry she was that I was being asked to sign a bereavement card the day after returning from my mother's funeral (no card for me). We all get on fine, no aggro.

Should I tackle it?

Nocabbageinmyeye Thu 23-Jun-16 13:15:43

Absolutely tackle it things like this will eventually cause resentment and it very unfair. Maybe suggest a flat rate of say £2 per person per collection and ask it be agreed in advance what it will be used for so births, death of parent/spouse, marriage and nothing else, that way everyone should in theory be treated the same

Sorry for this loss of your mother flowers

NarkyKnockers Thu 23-Jun-16 13:30:41

If there were people not being collected for I would ask the person who does collections about it and say I would do one if they were too busy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now