I know, I know. There's always one, but did I have to register seperately to vote today

(61 Posts)
SatansLittleHelper2 Thu 23-Jun-16 12:09:14

I keep seeing posts about registering to vote, I didnt bother as already registered or so I.thought. confused Im not so sure now.

WanHeda Thu 23-Jun-16 12:10:34

I turned up to vote today, to be told I had been unregistered shock I always vote and have never had a problem.

GreenSand Thu 23-Jun-16 12:11:25

Have you received a polling card?

DrivingMissLazy1 Thu 23-Jun-16 12:11:57

No. If you're registered for local elections then you should be automatically included in this referendum. Did you not get a polling card?

ShatnersBassoon Thu 23-Jun-16 12:12:21

Go along to your regular polling station. It doesn't matter if you don't have a card.

Somerville Thu 23-Jun-16 12:12:25

If you're on the electoral roll at your current residence then you can vote.

If you've moved house, even to the house next door, then you needed to register again at your new address.

YesILikeItToo Thu 23-Jun-16 12:13:33

You didn't have to register for this vote in particular. You don't need a polling card to vote. For all you know, you are able to vote so you should go and try!

OnionKnight Thu 23-Jun-16 12:14:59

Myself and my wife haven't received polling cards, we've received them in the past.

Can't work out what's happened, my parents for example have received their cards and they didn't register online as like us they have received polling cards in the past.

WanHeda Thu 23-Jun-16 12:15:38

I had no polling card. I have not moved house. I turned up to vote today to be told that I have been unregistered, even though I voted in the GE. So not all the info here is correct.

Imnotaslimjim Thu 23-Jun-16 12:16:27

AFAIK you should be registered automatically if you registered or the local election. If you haven't got your voting card, check aboutmyvote.com to find you're nearest voting office and they can tell you if you're registered. You might need to take photo ID

FlaviaAnsell Thu 23-Jun-16 12:17:51

WanHeda, did you vote, or receive a polling card, for the local elections last month?

WanHeda Thu 23-Jun-16 12:18:42

No to both. They must have unregistered me because of that?

purplefox Thu 23-Jun-16 12:22:32

There were changes to the registration process before the last general election, if you were registered to vote for that and haven't moved house there should be no mystery unregistrations.

OnionKnight Thu 23-Jun-16 12:24:02

Thinking about it, the last polling cards we received were for this year, maybe for the police or something?

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 23-Jun-16 12:24:49

We get asked to confirm our registration every year, might you have forgotten to do yours?

I was feeling twitchy last night when I realised we hadn't had polling cards (lived here for years), but we did vote in the police commissioner elections recently so I went along this morning and we were on the list.

WanHeda Thu 23-Jun-16 12:27:31

I must be making it all up then purplefox grin

WanHeda Thu 23-Jun-16 12:29:21

If it was a re-registering thing, why was my husband still on the list but I wasn't?

FlaviaAnsell Thu 23-Jun-16 12:29:41

The electoral register is updated every autumn. If you didn't receive a polling card in May, you probably dropped off when the new register was compiled last year.

FlaviaAnsell Thu 23-Jun-16 12:32:26

WanHeda, I think everyone is responsible for registering him/herself now, rather than someone filling out a form for the whole household, as used to happen. Presumably your husband did and you didn't.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 23-Jun-16 12:35:41

Wan Every so often we get a form from the council asking us to confirm who lives there for electoral register (and council tax purposes I think).

Could whoever filled in this form made a mistake somehow that has led the council to believe that you no longer live there?

Socksey Thu 23-Jun-16 12:36:42

The only people who can vote on this are British and (resident) Irish. All other nationalities, including EU citizens, who can vote in local elections and on EU matters usually, cannot vote on this occasion, even if you are on the electoral roll.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 23-Jun-16 12:37:31

Do they not send the form anymore Flavia? I can't remember now - if there are two people in a house do they both get a 'do you still live here' letter, rather than the previous form? confused

FledglingFridge Thu 23-Jun-16 12:37:45

If you're on the electoral roll at your current residence then you can vote.

I'm on the electoral roll but when I went to vote previously I was told I'd been unregistered. Because reasons apparently. I wouldn't have minded but when I didn't get my card that time I rang to check I was on the electoral roll. Got told yes. When I went to vote. I got told the voters roll and the electoral roll are now different things.

I wouldn't usually consider myself a dafty but I felt one that day when I couldn't vote. Apparently the info I'd given them didn't match what they'd had a on file. My married name caused the issues, even though I've voted in my married name twice.

AliceInUnderpants Thu 23-Jun-16 12:38:15

Wan, either I know you and you posted about this on FB at 9.09am, or this is a more widespread problem.

purplefox Thu 23-Jun-16 12:38:23

There used to be a joint form for the household, a while ago and before the election it changed to individual registration.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_Electoral_Registration

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now