EU Referendum - Turkish Accession etc.

(9 Posts)
OldLeftie Wed 22-Jun-16 15:31:13

Just tried to post this several times on news, but for some strange reason it won't?!

First, Ilnor Chevik, a Turkish government official appears on Newsnight last night and tells us that:

“We are really, really flabbergasted, let’s put it that way. We thought Mr Cameron was our chief supporter for our quest for European Union membership. Turks thought that the British were the driving force behind our EU membership and that they were supporting us right to the hilt.”

Just after Cameron told us that Turkey won't be joining the EU for years, my Yahoo feed has just told me that Turkish accession talks are to begin on Thursday June 30th next week!

We also have the head of the German CBI, Markus Kerber telling us that

“Imposing trade barriers, imposing protectionist measures between our two countries – or between the two political centres, the European Union on the one hand and the UK on the other – would be a very, very foolish thing in the 21st century. The BDI would urge politicians on both sides to come up with a trade regime that enables us to uphold and maintain the levels of trade we have”

AIBU to think somebody has been telling porkies?

thecitydoc Wed 22-Jun-16 15:36:29

there are 35 chapters that Turkey have to complete. Since they began the process in the late 1980s they have completed one. At this rate it will taken them until year 3000 before they are ready to be admitted. This is just one more, to be added to the many other, lies by the leave group.

Ailicece Wed 22-Jun-16 15:38:18

The German CBI can say what they like, but they don't decide what the EU does any more than UK industrialists! Yes, in an ideal world the EU and UK would come up with a perfect trade agreement that would benefit everybody, but in the real world there are a lot of other countries involved, who would not benefit from the UK being given preferential treatment.

Turkey are a loooong way from being able to join the EU. Yes, the UK has been one of its strongest supporters, but discussions have hardly advanced in 10 years as there are so many hurdles, not least Turkey's human rights' track record.

rumblingDMexploitingbstds Wed 22-Jun-16 15:48:03

I just saw the newspaper and thought bloody hell- Ian Duncan Smith quoted in the Telegraph this afternoon:

"Now the Turkish government has confirmed that he (David Cameron) is the 'chief supporter' of their bid to join the EU. David Cameron has repeatedly claimed that Turkey is not going to join the EU despite it being government policy," said the former Conservative leader.

"Cameron also said that Turkey will not join until the year 3000 but Sir John Major has let the cat out of the bag - Turkey could be in the EU in 10 years' time. I'm afraid there is no conclusion you can draw from this, except that David Cameron is colluding with the EU and lying to the British people."

And Juncker confirming, Cameron has had every single concession the EU is prepared to give:

"He got the maximum he could receive, and we gave the maximum we could give, so there will be no kind of renegotiation."

Cameron has no conscience at all. angry

wasonthelist Wed 22-Jun-16 16:31:53

There are almost no solid facts on these issues. Turkey will be allowed to join if the EU judges it politically expedient - just as Greece was allowed to join the Euro despite not meeting the criteria. Whether you think this is a good or bad outcome depends on your opinion anyway. Saying people are "lying" doesn't make any sense, there isn't any real knowable truth about the longer term prospects.

IamSlavetotheEU Wed 22-Jun-16 16:42:14

Since they began the process in the late 1980s they have completed one

Interesting so why are we even talking to Turkey? Why have deals about visas been thrown around.

I will tell you why, Its because we have a powder keg crisis on our hands, that could explode at any moment. The EU is being held together by wisps of cotton wool at the moment and they are desperate to stop mass migration from Syria and all the other countries whose citizens are trying to get to the EU.

Turkey is in a very strong position isnt it?

Bend a few rules to get Turkey on side and save the EU or - keep it at bay and the EU fails.

Did all the EU countries tick every box before they joined?

parmalilac Wed 22-Jun-16 16:55:48

Just read in the Telegraph that talks about Turkey will take place next week - what convenient timing! Also says that British taxpayers are paying £675 million to help Turkey's accession. Seem that it IS going to happen, but we don't know when. I believe that other countries also did not meet the criteria but these were mysteriously 'overlooked' so those countries could join. Sorry I don't have the details but you could google it.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Wed 22-Jun-16 17:13:23

Old Leftie,
I think YABU* to think politicians won't tell porkies

* U for Unrealistic in this case...

I wouldn't mind £675m to sort out some of our overcrowded roads and schools... but hey ho we are in Europe to pay for others..

AugustaFinkNottle Wed 22-Jun-16 17:15:14

We certainly won't have money to pay for roads and schools if we leave Europe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now