To think my neighbour is a PITA (parking related!)

(17 Posts)
thrillhouse Tue 21-Jun-16 19:59:27

I live on a small street of terraced houses. We're not exactly stuck for parking; most people park outside their own house but if for any reason you can't, there's usually space elsewhere on the street. The street is small enough that you can see pretty much all of it from your window.

My NDN has a real bee in his bonnet about always parking outside his house. I think it's because he has CCTV up and wants his car in view at all times. Which I guess is fine but sometimes he will come round to our house if someone has parked outside his to find out who they are. There are no driveways, nobody is ever blocked in anywhere.

Odd times this has been guests of ours. It's pretty embarrassing. It's the kind of thing you just forget to mention to people when they come round because, like I say, space isn't exactly at a premium. And it's a public road ffs, no marked spaces. Plenty of room for cars to get through when there are cars parked on both sides.

Today we were having some work done in the house. I wasn't home but DH was. When I got in he said NDN had been round to give them what for about parking their van outside his house. He once also accosted a friend of DH's over how long she was going to be parked there and when she mentioned she was coming to visit us he said "oh you won't be long then".

I've just had it. He's never outwardly rude as such with it, not aggressive, but I just think it's such a stupid busybody passive aggressive thing to get bothered by. DH's friend he did sort of apologise for, but I'm just like, it's a fucking public road!! Stop trying to be the parking police. Aghhhhh.

DuckAndPancakes Tue 21-Jun-16 20:02:34

He's an arse. Ignore him.
He can't tell anyone where to park on a public road.

booksandcoffee Tue 21-Jun-16 20:07:30

Next time he complains tell him to live with it.

SabineUndine Tue 21-Jun-16 20:07:42

He's a total arse and I would be paying a mate to park outside his house for a week.

MsMims Tue 21-Jun-16 20:09:17

His CCTV isn't allowed to be covering the public road, should only cover his private property.

RNBrie Tue 21-Jun-16 20:09:53

A friend of mine has this situation, she just asks people not to park outside ndn's house. If there is plenty of parking elsewhere then it's no hardship for the sake of a quiet life.

He's a knob but I wouldn't want to fall out about it, it's too trivial (note, this is only the case if there is plenty of parking!!)

Coughingchildren5 Tue 21-Jun-16 20:16:17

My MIL had neighbours like this and she wasn't inclined to stand up to them! She would actually go and park at the end of the road rather than outside their house if that was the only space. She asked visitors to park elsewhere too. It was a ridiculous situation as they felt free to park outside mil's house if it suited them.

I think she actually made the situation worse and encouraged them by cooperating with their parking scheme.

I would ignore him.

whois Tue 21-Jun-16 20:18:56

Gosh how annoying.

Next time he comes round, stand up for yourself. It's a public road, you can park where you like and if he wants to park directly outside his house he can go buy a house with a driveway.

blublutoo Tue 21-Jun-16 20:25:17

Eurgh it is annoying isn't it. My folks live on a street where there aren't any driveways but some houses have space to park outside their windows without blocking the pavement. they sometimes park outside their window but if you do that then you risk being blocked in (rightly so). neighbour up the road moans that people shouldn't park on the pavement outside her house but everyone else argues that it's her choice to park there!!

clicknclack Tue 21-Jun-16 20:31:10

I would just come up with a standard phrase and repeat the same thing no matter how much he rants. "It's a public road" "It's a public road" "It's a public road"

isitginoclock Tue 21-Jun-16 20:35:18

Do you have any friends who only rarely use their cars? Could you persuade them to park in front of his house for a week or so at a time?

Spottyladybird Tue 21-Jun-16 20:39:57

We have a neighbour like this. The phrases 'it's a public road' and 'taxed vehicles can park on public roads' have been uttered.

shazzarooney999 Tue 21-Jun-16 20:43:42

Hmmm I have a child on the autistic spectrum who is prone to running on the road, so i like to park as close to our house as possible, it seemeed every fecking timei went out the lady across the road would have her family or friend or uncle joe bloggs park in my space, i would nip to the shop, literally be 5 mins and my space would be gone, and yes its fecking annoying!!!!! nobody dare park outside hers though!!!! and i have common curtesy and wouldnt, although ive though about hiring a few camper vans and leaving them for a few months just to feck them off!!!! saying that this family think they own the street!!!!!!

Changesofmind Tue 21-Jun-16 20:54:44

I must admit I get irrationally peed off at that too blush

Our new neighbour bought a house with a two car drive but has FOUR cars. I find it massively rude that they park on the front of my house - we only have a one car drive and I'd parked in front of my own house for years until they moved in. Sigh.

And yes, I know IABU because it's a public highway but it doesn't stop me from being irrationally annoyed! grin

stubbornstains Tue 21-Jun-16 20:55:58

I think the best way to deal with this chap is a firm ticking off- hands on hips, wagging finger, the lot grin.

We have one of these- the road outside his house is fairly narrow, and passing tractors are, increasingly, stupidly mahoosive. So, he's worried about his wall which is fucking ugly, and it would improve the whole street if it was knocked down, to be honest - fair enough, but he seems to spend his waking hours standing on his doorstep policing everyone's parking, including watching you intently as you're trying to parallel park in reverse up a hill with one of said tractors in the offing!

He folds everybody's mirrors in without as a much as a "by your leave", and one day I crept up on him as he was trying to force the mirrors of my old VW Transporter van in. They don't go in- he was on his way to breaking them! A resounding "What on EARTH do you think you're doing? That's the kind of behaviour I'd expect from a teenage yobbo!"at the top of my voice, and now he hides every time he sees me. Result grin.

GnomeDePlume Tue 21-Jun-16 21:02:12

saying that this family think they own the street!!!!!!

Is the space outside your house yours or just convenient to you? If the latter then I am afraid this is just pot calling the kettle black.

thrillhouse Tue 21-Jun-16 22:29:32

Phew. I'm so glad people agree with me grin

The worst thing is he's done it on our behalf too! After the incident with DH's friend he was telling me that he's stopped people parking outside our house (he seems to think that people who work over the road use our street for parking all day). Ugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now