To think this is cheating?

(17 Posts)
sharksinthegrass Tue 21-Jun-16 08:55:54

Have name changed as don't want other posts linked.

DD does a martial art and has been going a few years. She is currently on Blue belt. The instructors son (we will call Joe) also goes to the same class and was there when dd started.

Joe was on green belt with a stripe as he had not done all the gradings, then the instructor decided to put Joe back down to the first belt you get after white. We were a bit confused about this but presumed it was because Joe had been messing about in class and he wanted to prove a point that he was in control of the class.

The reason then became clear when Joe was entered into the mix for the squad team as early talent. Of course this amazing first belt was so talented he got straight in and how amazing the instructor must be too to produce such talent. Again people were a bit hmm but no one said anything.

Joe now does regular competitions. Joe who has been going several years is competing all over the country and winning countless medals as a testament to his Dad and our club.

It doesn't affect dd but I have found myself getting annoyed about it, these kids Joe is going up against and constantly beating are mostly likely to be kids who have been going for less than six months and I have real issues with how unfair it is.

I must admit I am coming at this as a former coach of a different sport but it has effected my opinion of the club and the coach tbh.

AIBU?

Abinob Tue 21-Jun-16 08:58:37

YANBU that's definitely cheating.

RNBrie Tue 21-Jun-16 09:01:02

Er yes. Definitely cheating. And not at all in the spirit of martial arts.

Arfarfanarf Tue 21-Jun-16 09:02:51

Why dont you tell the people who are organising the competitions what you know?

Birdsgottafly Tue 21-Jun-16 09:03:38

YANBU and the sad part is that he's teaching his Son that bending the rules is fine, as long as you win.

He's also possibly setting his Son up to fail, in the long run, because he isn't a 'top talent', he's been unfairly entered into a lower category.

It does go against the Ethos of the Martial Arts that I know.

Leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Definitely cheating.

Is there anything you can do, or are willing to do?

Hagothehills Tue 21-Jun-16 09:06:31

Any other sports I would say yes this is cheating but martial arts are about discipline as much as anything else. He may have the ability and talent to get the higher belt but without discipline he doesn't deserve it. It's sort of an honour thing.
Otoh, he absolutely should not be entered into competition either, both because of the unfair advantage he holds in the extra training he's received and again because if he can't behave himself he hasn't earned the right to compete imho.
(I have reached high levels in a few martial arts and it's the same pretty much across the board, honour and discipline are very important in any halfway decent dojo)

sharksinthegrass Tue 21-Jun-16 09:13:16

I would report to the association but tbh I suspect given the associations head persons relationship with the instructor (Joe's Dad used to coach for them) that they are aware. I cannot see how they can't be.

Of course I could tell the organisers of the smaller competitions which tend to be inter clubs.

I fully understand that Hag hence why no one reacted when he was put down a belt. I remember being given a black belts belt in class in a different martial art as a kid for the lesson because he was behaving terribly and putting no effort in and I was so I get that.

I just find it awkward that within two weeks of being dropped belts he was put in for the squad and for competitions against kids who have been going for as few as 12 weeks possibly when he has been going years.

MetalMidget Tue 21-Jun-16 09:22:54

Sounds like tkd from the grading system? As far as I'm aware, the only valid reason to knock someone back a belt is if they've been inactive for over a year (or maybe two?) - for example, I was a blue belt, but took a break before starting up again, and had to retake my blue belt grading.

There's no way somebody should be knocked back from blue tag to yellow - that's back three or four gradings (assuming it's the same as TKD). Definitely cheating to allow them to compete at that grade.

cozietoesie Tue 21-Jun-16 09:29:32

Pull your daughter from the club right away. You can't allow her to continue with a coach who 'might' be bending the rules like that. They would have no honour or discipline.

margewiththebluehair Tue 21-Jun-16 09:31:21

I would 'secretly' report it to the martial arts federation as well as competition organisers.

ArmySal Tue 21-Jun-16 09:53:23

Too right it's cheating! Underhand as buggery angry

Fieryfighter Tue 21-Jun-16 10:28:28

What's the association? Sadly there are many dubious clubs and associations out there. Any tom dick or harry can set up a club and pronounce themselves a tenth dan grandmaster etc hmm I'd be very wary of a club whose own instructor is allowed to award belts anyway. I'm a third dan in the largest karate association in Britain and we have a small handful of very senior instructors who are allowed to do gradings and travel the country to clubs in order to do so.

This is must definitely cheating and very wrong. I would remove your daughter from that club, it does not sound like a decent club.

sharksinthegrass Tue 21-Jun-16 10:55:52

I don't want to name association as will massively out me as instructor is very very closely linked to them so I don't doubt his grade.

I am looking for another club though as I cannot stand by a club which promotes winning over all else.

Fieryfighter Tue 21-Jun-16 10:58:30

Pm me if you like, I be able to help.

cozietoesie Tue 21-Jun-16 11:20:26

You may not doubt his (official) grading but I would never be able to countenance leaving a child under somebody seemingly without the honour and discipline that the art requires. It would make a mockery of the work she's undoubtedly put in.

sharksinthegrass Tue 21-Jun-16 11:38:32

Exactly Cozie I agree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now