AIBU to wonder why some parents feel the need to...

(139 Posts)
AnnaToboggan Mon 20-Jun-16 23:10:34

Post the contents of their childs school report on FB?

It seems such an odd thing to do. I understand that they are proud of their achievements, but I just don't get why they do it.

School reports out today and we have photos of exam results, transcripts, snippets and full sections copied out.

Is anyone else as baffled as I am?

Itriedtodohandstandsforyou Mon 20-Jun-16 23:16:00

I hate this too..couldn't be prouder of my kids but I don't feel the need to broadcast their achievements to all. Detailed facebook posts about parents evenings drive me mad too. YANBU.

AnnaToboggan Mon 20-Jun-16 23:19:07

Glad to hear it's not just me - I could easily pick out bits of the report that make mine look like geniuses, and I could just as easily pick out bits that make them look distinctly average.

CruCru Tue 21-Jun-16 00:17:22

What I find weird is when they say "Congratulations to <Child> on another superb report! Blah etc" when <Child> isn't on Facebook.

CruCru Tue 21-Jun-16 00:17:35

And won't be for years.

FoxesOnSocks Tue 21-Jun-16 00:23:04

Probably will never be CruCru, Facebook is for oldies.

I must admit I felt so pleased with DS2's report (he has a learning difficulty) because he's teacher wrote that he admires and applaudes the sheer effort DS2 put in everyday I wanted to show off and was half tempted to post on fb. Didn't though.

Only1scoop Tue 21-Jun-16 00:39:33

Do they really

How grim

NoMudNoLotus Tue 21-Jun-16 00:49:11

OP I agree it's cringeworthy.

NoMudNoLotus Tue 21-Jun-16 00:51:54

Yesterday someone I know wrote on their FB page " happy Father's Day to a wonderful daddy blah blah blah you're just so perfect we are so lucky blah blah blah" written by the mother on behalf of the kids ?! hmmconfused

What is this weirdness ?

NoMudNoLotus Tue 21-Jun-16 00:57:22

Oranges Thankyou for your kindness.

In terms of the other creditors Stepchange will deal with them - from what they said today a car is pretty much seen as a necessity for many people so they have seperate rules for dealing with taking on extra credit .

CoolforKittyCats Tue 21-Jun-16 00:58:15

I don't get it either.

Tartyflette Tue 21-Jun-16 01:18:22

Because they're a bit bleeurgh.
And NoMud -- wrong thread? grin

Hopefully Tue 21-Jun-16 05:17:11

I like reading how well my friends' children have done! Makes me pleased for them. I'd far rather read a dozen school reports than a dozen 'happy Father's Day to the best daddy in the world. We love you to the moon and back.' Particularly when you know that the dad in question is a total fucking waste of space.

KittyKrap Tue 21-Jun-16 05:30:14

I have a friend that does this, her DCs are geniuses dontchaknow. Then I look at my lot confused

Comingfoccacia Tue 21-Jun-16 06:13:38

Yanbu. It drives me mad too. It's on a par with "proud mummy" parents evening statuses.

KERALA1 Tue 21-Jun-16 06:26:21

Ime the only people that boast in public about how clever their Dec are are abit thick themselves. Parents with properly clever Dc keep quiet...

SaltyMyDear Tue 21-Jun-16 06:30:17

The thing is every single child gets a positive report. That is the culture in schools today. Teachers aren't allowed to write negative stuff.

grumpmitchell Tue 21-Jun-16 06:33:04

YANBU, it gives me the rage. It's the weirdest thing to show-off vicariously through your child. Makes me have a lower opinion of the people who do it too confused

ThoraGruntwhistle Tue 21-Jun-16 06:33:32

Posting screenshots of reports is a bit odd but I don't think I'd be too bothered by 'very proud of X for getting a good report' style statuses.

Honeyandfizz Tue 21-Jun-16 06:33:45

Ew I hate FB for this sort of thing. My cousin does this all the time as well as boasting about every little thing. Particularly cringeworthy was on her 40th when she lined all of her designer presents up & photographed them just for FB, it's just crass!

Patterkiller Tue 21-Jun-16 06:40:05

Aren't they all just generic with a few bits changed/name inserted anyway?

Do those who FB post truly believe that us who don't post have damning reports that we couldn't possibly share?

They are in the same vein as the 'I love my kids sooooo much' brigade.

TheNaze73 Tue 21-Jun-16 08:38:43

I think it's wank & stealth boasting. Funny you never see the bad reports either. It's only FB though. The unfollow button is brilliant, has worked wonders of late, with the EU stuff

glamourousgranny42 Tue 21-Jun-16 08:51:50

I don't mind a bit of 'Im so proud of my XX, got a great report well done' . But copies of the report and copied chunks is a bit much. I have a friend who is either crowing how wonderful her child is, or asking if anyone has seen him, because if he doesn't come in soon she's calling the police again! It kind of puts the praise in some perspective!

contrary13 Tue 21-Jun-16 08:52:42

It's on a line with those who post photographs of their Mothers/Fathers Day gifts and what they were given for their birthdays/Christmas, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong... we've all bragged about what we were given for our birthdays at some stage in our lives. But most of us grew out of it before we turned 10.

One friend of mine posts endless photos on the relevant holidays, bragging about what her children gave her, and has endless "OMG, aren't you, liek, so lucky?!" comments from those friends who don't know the situation. It's all a little bit sad, though, because (a) she's in her mid-40s and (b) her teenage son refuses point blank to have anything to do with her after she physically assaulted him, and her younger child spends most of their time avoiding her and in other peoples houses. She also posts the school photographs of her children, with captions such as "aren't my babies so beautiful?!" and "can't believe how little they've changed in a year!!!".

So I hid her posts. I only see them if I go looking for them. Saves a lot of irritation on my part! grin

AnnaToboggan Tue 21-Jun-16 08:52:55

Our children are a disappointment to us Patter - didn't you know!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now