Is this a stupid reaction?

(14 Posts)
Mapless Mon 20-Jun-16 07:10:48

My only sibling got married - big wedding, lots of bridesmaids and ushers etc. Photographer took lots of photos for a long time. There was one photo taken of all the guests and that's the only one I was invited to be in.

I just feel that in the future, all these friends may not still be around. He might look back at those photos - it'll be a shame that I wasn't included. (Neither was my husband or 2 children, one of whom was a flower girl). Our dad died many years ago so it was just us and mum for a while. (Mum was included).

FWIW my wedding photos were mainly of immediate family including siblings and partners.

DeathStare Mon 20-Jun-16 07:13:12

Different people do things differently.

If you wanted a photo of your family with the happy couple did you make sure someone took one for you?

PPie10 Mon 20-Jun-16 07:23:28

Well why didn't you make sure one was taken?

TheNaze73 Mon 20-Jun-16 08:38:52

YABU. It was there wedding

Batteriesallgone Mon 20-Jun-16 08:41:05

You sure it wasn't the photographers cock up? Did you check at the time? YABU to expect the B&G to be keeping track of all the pics its overwhelming on your wedding day how many are taken, so hard to keep track.

branofthemist Mon 20-Jun-16 08:44:55

The photographer usually asks for a list of shots that the bride and groom want.

Maybe they didn't want individual family photos. At the end of the day they are paying and it's up to them.

Dbro had a whole family photo at his wedding with a his wife's family, but not ours. But her mum wanted, and paid for, a whole family photo. That's up to them.

If you want everyone together why not organise a party and get everyone together and take some photos

CantChoose Mon 20-Jun-16 08:47:03

Sadly I didn't get a nice photo of me with my mum at my wedding. Was a complete oversight on all our parts... May not have been deliberate...

meowli Mon 20-Jun-16 10:07:41

I would have thought it unusual at a wedding with a professional photographer, for there not to be photographs of bride and groom with immediate family from both sides. Fwiw, at our wedding, the photographer took all the 'standard' shots unprompted, calling out for who she wanted for each shot - various combinations of relatives and bridesmaid/pageboy etc., then entire family both sides, group shot of friends, all the guests, then asked us if there were any more we'd like.

I do sympathise, op. It would have been nice to have an official photograph with your family and b&g in, apart from the group shot. Try not to feel hurt by it, I'm sure it wasn't personal, just an oversight. If it was a big wedding, I don't suppose an extra photo would have broken the bank! Could you pay for a studio photographer to take a nice portrait of you, dh, dm, b&g, and your dc, with dd in her flower girl outfit? I'm sure b&g would understand, if you explain that you'd love to have this extra group photo.

MargaretCavendish Mon 20-Jun-16 10:13:57

I don't think it's a 'stupid' reaction, but it's also not much use now the wedding is over! I think you should do your best to give it zero further thought.

Batteriesallgone Mon 20-Jun-16 10:35:48

Our photographer requested a list of the photos we want, plus also Responsible Guest who knew who everyone was to have a copy and check it off too to ensure no oversights. There was never any suggestion of charging more for specific shots and I'm shock that professionals do that.

BeYourselfUnlessUCanBeAUnicorn Mon 20-Jun-16 11:22:37

YANBU. I don't actually speak to any of the friends in had at my wedding, including the 2 that were bridesmaids. I'm glad I don't have loads of photos of them and not of family. I would have though family would have been more of a priority.

I was quite annoyed off that MIL organised a photo with DH and all the ILs and I wasn't included, ILs were included in all my family photos and DH was in them too, given he was the groom. She didn't even buy a copy of the photo so not sure what the point was.

Pinkheart5915 Mon 20-Jun-16 11:32:48

Yabu it was there wedding. People really can do nothing right at there own wedding these days somebody always picks on something.

I'd give it no further thought

Mapless Tue 21-Jun-16 00:25:36

Thanks everyone. I thought professional photographers did all the standard shots, 'creative ones' and those specifically asked for. We were given an Internet code to purchase what we wanted....lots of photos of their friends that mum and I didn't know. Shame. But as you say not one of life's major issues. Good to know some people understand smile. It's not something as I would ever mention as I lime to keep the peace. Weddings seem emotional enough without family butting in.

Anyway - thanks for responding x.

SparklesandBangs Tue 21-Jun-16 08:04:23

Not a stupid reaction at all, as the only close family I can understand why you would think there would be at least one professional shot with you and your mum only in.

If I look back at my DB and DBILs wedding where my DD were flower girls/bridesmaids at both. At one they were fully involved as were my DH and I, catered for and treated like princesses for the day by the bride & groom and in many pictures. It was a true loving family wedding.

In the other they were part of a huge bridal party and only there because of who they were not because they were wanted IYSWIM they were older and would have preferred not to have been part of the circus it became and in hindsight we should have said no. We may have been in some group shots but they were so many and it was so staged managed it would be hard not to! They pictures that we have from this wedding we took ourselves and don.t have the B&G in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now