to afford nice things?

(8 Posts)
JoyOdell Sat 18-Jun-16 19:21:04

Because according to DM I am! Every time I inform her of anything that doesn't resemble absolute poverty I get "How can you afford that?" Like its any of her sodding business?

These things recently have been:
A nanny (4 children, cheapest form of childcare, get tax credits for this).
A second car. (For under £1000 and essential as DH and I work in totally different areas not accessible by public transport).
Moving House. (Not optional, we rent, we have to afford it).
Getting a cleaner. (£20 a week, worth every penny. Costs less than SHE spends on alcohol. We don't drink).
Dinner Out. (50% club card vouchers)
Three holidays in a year. (Because we can.)

So, AIBU to think it's bloody rude of her to ask this every single time I buy anything or spend any money? DH and I both work, if that's relevant. Clearly we should be living in a hovel eating solely beans.

Pinkheart5915 Sat 18-Jun-16 19:26:10

No not at all, I never feel guilty about buying nice things me & DH have worked very hard over the years and us and ds have a good life.

Could it be a generation thing with your mum? maybe when she was younger most people couldn't afford it. She maybe doesn't mean it to sound rude

rainytea Sat 18-Jun-16 19:44:06

"We manage our money well."
"Wow, I'm sure you don't mean that to sound quite as rude as it comes across."

Etc

CombineBananaFister Sat 18-Jun-16 19:50:06

Maybe it's more surprise if you earn low enough to get tax credits but can afford a cleaner and nanny, she may not understand how as these things are more normally associated with higher incomes?

We budget loads which means we can splash out on other things which i know surprises my ILs but its all about priorities. They would spend £s on beauty treatments and nights out and rent but we have bought and have nice meals in. Horses for courses

JoyOdell Sat 18-Jun-16 19:56:31

We're not low earning, well I don't consider us to be. We receive a small amount of tax credits that are higher than they would be due to disability and these help with the nanny. Point is though, that it's bloody RUDE!!

SaveSomeSpendSome Sat 18-Jun-16 19:59:08

I hate it when people make comments about what people spend money on.

Me and dh are high earners and only have one child.

We have fancy cars etc but i never brag or mention to them that i have bought things i wait for people to mention it to me and i hate it when they do!

I sometimes feel embarassed about the things i buy as i know some twat will make a sneery comment on it.

Im going to start getting snippy with people if it carrys on.

backwardpossom Sat 18-Jun-16 19:59:21

My parents can be a bit like this. To be honest, we work bloody hard for our money, and if we want to spend it on nice things, it's nobody's business but our own. So there. YANBU.

SaveSomeSpendSome Sat 18-Jun-16 19:59:46

We manage our money well

I love that comment!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now