Free Bus Pass

(16 Posts)
MarcelineTheVampire Sat 18-Jun-16 17:52:25

I have a disability which means I don't drive - this has never been an issue as I manage to get around just fine with public transport etc.

I have never claimed any benefits for this disability as I work and I have fortunately never needed to. However, I am now on maternity leave things are getting squeezed and with the ridiculously priced fares on buses the costs are adding up.

I tend to walk everywhere when the weather is good but can find myself housebound when the weather is bad which can be very isolating with a baby. WIBU to get a free bus pass for which I am eligible?

I feel bad as I am generally comfortable money wise, in that I own my homes etc. and don't want to be seen as taking unnecessary resources from government/council when there are those that are desperately in need?

Pico2 Sat 18-Jun-16 17:55:37

Go for it. You are eligible and those buses are running anyway.

BreakerofChains Sat 18-Jun-16 18:00:35

Go for it if you can but in Essex at least you need to be in receipt of DLA and have a blue badge in order to get the disabled bus pass.

notamummy10 Sat 18-Jun-16 18:01:34

If you're eligible then go for it!

RebootYourEngine Sat 18-Jun-16 18:14:08

I think you need to be claiming mid or high rate care or mobility DLA to get a bus pass.

MarcelineTheVampire Sat 18-Jun-16 18:20:30

The English National Concessionary Pass is for anyone who is registered disabled and some other criteria, for which one is to be refused a driving licence.

BreakerofChains Sat 18-Jun-16 18:22:25

Yes but many councils have their own criteria such as Essex County Council.

MarcelineTheVampire Sat 18-Jun-16 18:25:45

Sorry that wasn't meant to sound rude confused my council would see me as eligible.

Our council (Durham) also requires you to claim DLA or PIP

SauvignonBlanche Sat 18-Jun-16 18:28:22

I had one for a year when my driving licence was revoked on medical grounds. I didn't need it financially but it did help as the cost of bus fares and taxis soon mounts up.

As a PP said, the bus is running anyway, the only medical evidence I needed was the DVLA letter saying my license was revoked.

ALemonyPea Sat 18-Jun-16 18:30:56

Why don't you claim DLA? You can still claim it if you work as its not a means tested benefit.

MarcelineTheVampire Sat 18-Jun-16 18:38:22

I don't know Lemony, I don't really know what benefits I would be eligible for and too busy walking everywhere to sit down and actually look- still haven't completed the forms for child benefit either.

I think it might be a bit to do with what my AIBU is about too. I feel ashamed about potentially claiming money that could go towards someone who desperately needs it.

MarcelineTheVampire Sat 18-Jun-16 18:41:13

Just to add, obviously, anyone that does claim DLA shouldn't feel ashamed for doing so as they need it. I meant that as I can still get around and function that I am perhaps not the most worthy person to receive it.

nonline Sat 18-Jun-16 18:52:56

I sacrificed my license when pregnant (gave up medication allowing me to drive) and have only now seen I may be eligible for a bus pass. Like you, I've paid up to now, but mat pay just finished and bus costs mount up. Child benefit is my first experience of any benefit. Don't feel guilty.

OrangesandLemonsNow Sat 18-Jun-16 18:57:23

Why don't you claim DLA?

It would be PIP.

You need to be receiving it to get a pass here too.

SauvignonBlanche Sat 18-Jun-16 18:58:46

My disability doesn't affect my mobility and I did laugh once when the bus door opened, I realised I'd left my pass at home.
I ran back home picked it up and managed to run through to the next road before it got there. The driver was a bit hmm!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now