is venison meant to stink ??!

(12 Posts)
SatansLittleHelper2 Fri 17-Jun-16 17:18:36

I took it out last night to.defrost, not doing much exciting with it just a stew. Anyways it stinks, as in stinky stinks.

My farmer friend gave it to me, so it 's completely free range if that makes any difference ??(( he shoots them.to keep numbers from getting out of hand )) is it usually so whiffy ?? Or am I likely to keel over ??

I've eaten.venison loads of times but this is the first time ive handled it raw.

acasualobserver Fri 17-Jun-16 17:21:41

Did it stink when you put it in the freezer?

WowOoo Fri 17-Jun-16 17:21:46

I've noticed it's quite smelly before. I'm sure it will be fine.

SatansLittleHelper2 Fri 17-Jun-16 17:23:03

No idea, I didnt smell it 😂😂😂 I just bunged it in. He's given me rabbits before and they havent stunk but do have a stronger, gamey smell.

But not this stinky stink.

Crispbutty Fri 17-Jun-16 17:26:32

I would bin it if it really stinks.. you wont enjoy eating it even if it is ok..

acasualobserver Fri 17-Jun-16 17:29:24

If you know what gamey smells like and this isn't it, then I would not eat it.

HildurOdegard Fri 17-Jun-16 17:58:22

I find game smells offensive, but tastes ok.

SatansLittleHelper2 Fri 17-Jun-16 18:00:40

It doesnt smell sour, just strong. Ive put it in and will see what it smells like then. May stick an emergency loo roll in the.fridge too grin

FiveGoMadInDorset Fri 17-Jun-16 18:02:21

it will smell stronger the longer its hung, so it maybe that farmer friend hung it longer than usual

tilder Fri 17-Jun-16 18:04:58

Venison does smell stronger than stuff from the super market.

What colour is it? Is it slimey?

At the end of the day, it's probably fine but I don't eat meat I am unsure of.

toolonglurking Fri 17-Jun-16 18:13:42

Yes, venison smells - it's a pretty strong gamey smell, especially if it's red deer rather than sika.

TipBoov Fri 17-Jun-16 19:35:33

It is strong, but I think you'd know if it was off.. Is it slimy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now