Neighbours scaffolding

(13 Posts)
Fedupagain1975 Thu 16-Jun-16 15:10:03

Our neighbours started their extension last September. It was just meant to be a extension over their garage plus an extension out the back. Instead they knocked down the garage, which is on my boundary and build a new house around their old one and knocked down the old house inside! They then build a third floor! All this without planning permission, anyway council are involved and all work has stopped for the last four months while the sort out planning permission. We are all hoping they will knocked it down!
In the meantime, we have scaffolding over hanging into our property and in contact with our wall. We have no party wall agreement and they have never once asked us for permission. We have just moved here from overseas so had no idea about party wall agreement etc and then just thought the building works would be just 2 months (as they told us!)

AIBU to think they should remove the scaffolding off my property as they don't have permission to be there?

SquinkiesRule Thu 16-Jun-16 15:30:52

Can you call the scaffolding company and ask them to get it off your property. The ones I've seen have a sign on for the company with a number.

RortyCrankle Thu 16-Jun-16 15:31:53

That's really bad. I would definitely be telling them to remove scaffolding from my property. If they don't comply, I suggest you get in touch with the Council's Planning Office to ask their advice.

Good luck

FireTruckOhFireTruck Thu 16-Jun-16 15:32:45

I'd definitely try and get it removed - try the planning sept.

FireTruckOhFireTruck Thu 16-Jun-16 15:33:01

That should be planning dept, not sept!!

Mouikey Thu 16-Jun-16 19:58:24

Planning Dept cannot enforce what is, in essence a civil matter between two neighbours (in terms of scaffolding). The enforcement process will take some time (no doubt they will put a planning application in, then if refused they will appeal (or appeal the enforcement notice) and if that is dismissed take their time until they have to put it right. Just to be clear they will get some form of development on the site, so you will be sat next to scaffolding (even if not on your land) for some time.

In terms of the scaffolding, I would suggest firstly approaching them. You could contact the scaffolding company and threaten them or discuss with a solicitor to take it through a civil process.

This is going to go on for some time so get comfortable... try and keep civil with them as nothing would be worse than it going pear shapped early on

maninawomansworld01 Thu 16-Jun-16 23:42:18

Exactly the same thing happened to my in laws.
They tried asking the neighbours with no luck so wrote to the scaffolding company saying they had 24 hours to remove the scaffold or they would be charging a ground rent of £10 per day, backdated to when it was erected (about 3 weeks) and would also be charging a 25% surcharge for unauthorised use of their land, plus a £30 charge for writing the letter.
The letter was sent via tracked delivery and signed for st something like 9:05 am, I kid you not they were there dismantling by 12:00!

FIL still tells the story today.

Fedupagain1975 Fri 17-Jun-16 15:04:38

Spoke to planning department today, very helpful but they can't do anything as it is a private matter! So will have to get some legal advice. Love your FIL idea mania, I think this might work!!! Unfortunately our neighbours own the building company so I think he put up the scaffolding himself! Thanks for all your advice.

MurphysChild Fri 17-Jun-16 15:09:49

Oh my goodness, what sort of building company puts up scaffolding overhanging a neighbours property without asking and builds a house without planning permission?

I would be very concerned about the quality of the build too.

Cherylene Fri 17-Jun-16 15:14:22

Bum! Our neighbours are in the building trade and had scaffolding that overhung our garden for 6 months. Didn't ask or anything. Really annoying, but they are like that...... I think they must have had some sort of cheap deal going with the scaffolders.

I think legal advice of some sort is your next move. If they do end up continuing building, it would be a good idea to use this time to make sure your interests are not being compromised, as they sound like a herd of cowboys.

FireTruckOhFireTruck Fri 17-Jun-16 16:46:54

Good luck OP - these things unfortunately tend to take a long time to sort out.

Greyponcho Fri 17-Jun-16 17:04:20

Contact the scaffolding company. If for whatever reason they won't sort it, last line of defence here: remind them that for scaffolding to be suitable for use, it must be inspected and display a scaftag, signed by a competent person, for each week it is in use. Suggest they may be liable if it hasn't been inspected & someone got injured by the scaffolding - ask them if they'd like you to call the HSE for advice.
Really hope they can help you out without resorting to this ^^

Fedupagain1975 Sat 18-Jun-16 13:39:21

I didn't know the scaffolding needed inspections? There has been no building work for 3 months and no one has come round to look. Will definitely look into that! Thanks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now