Neighbour CCTV facing door, what can I do

(16 Posts)
SmellyTelly Tue 14-Jun-16 17:50:12

I have a neighbour who I have been having problems with, we live in a converted house just me and him. He has installed a spy hole cctv which faces the communal door.

I have lived here for 2 years and literally i have NEVER run into him when I come in and he is going out, I know he looks out his window when he sees me leave, I have seen him. As I was putting my key in the door I can hear him running down the stairs, also never runs then he stood there staring at me.
I am mentioning all this as I am telling you what made me suspicious, all this was just unusal activity, so obviously I noticed the NEW spy hole which he never had before and I can see it is obviously a camera.

As I share the front door I do not like this, I dont want him spying on me when I leave and his above actions I think he wanted some sort o reaction from me.

What can i do about this?

Both Housing association flats.

miraclebabyplease Tue 14-Jun-16 18:00:41

Call the HA asap

Zucker Tue 14-Jun-16 18:05:52

Get your hands on a Jehovah's Witness leaflet and hold it to the camera every time you enter or leave passed the camera. or more sensibly contact the ha.

SmellyTelly Tue 14-Jun-16 18:08:07

lol zucker

SmellyTelly Tue 14-Jun-16 18:08:47

I did just speak to police who said it is not a police matter but I am going to phone the Housing association tomorrow about this.

Wonkydonkey44 Tue 14-Jun-16 18:24:53

Wedge chewing gum in the hole until you've spoken to the housing association or land lord. What a weirdo!

PreciousVagine Tue 14-Jun-16 18:26:56

Is it spy hole cctv or just an electronic spy hole? Sounds like no difference but one means potentially recording and the other is just a spy hole you can look through without pressing your face against the door.

Muchtosayaboutnothing Tue 14-Jun-16 18:28:29

Knock on the door and ask him what the hell he is up to ? Does he think you are the pizza man every time you come home and he is sick of running downstairs to only be disappointed by your face ??
Sounds like he's up to something .... Illegal. Go rattle his cage and tell us what he looks like. smile

Birdsgottafly Tue 14-Jun-16 18:34:33

So he's put in CCTV, that would identify any burglers etc?

I'd be careful how you put this to the HA, don't be spured on by the responses on here, it looks like you are the dodgy one and don't want finding out.

He could suffer with a level of paranoia, he could have PTSD, or a PD, or he could be a nosy bastard, but he still has the right to protect his home.

The reply would be that you shouldn't be doing anything in the communal hallway, that can't be seen.

SmellyTelly Tue 14-Jun-16 19:06:54

I have not been doing anything to him and as I knew he has called the police on me because I said to him "don't look at me"
I just spoke to them and they told me they think he has social anxiety which he probably does but then again if he did I doubt he would be doing what he has been doing to me which banging on my flat door and trying to kick it in and he threw paint on my flat door and put some slip stuff on the stairs.

SmellyTelly Tue 14-Jun-16 19:09:14

Well he does smoke cannabis so I am not surprised if he is paranoid, he also accused me of stealing his post which he actually does to me.

MustStopAndThinkBeforePosting Tue 14-Jun-16 19:22:39

It is an infringement of your privacy to have cctv recording your own property. Private cctv is only supposed to be installed where the only areas that are recorded are the property of the person doing the recording (property in this sense encompasses property you rent)

Janecc Tue 14-Jun-16 20:16:12

Definitely contact the ha. It doesn't sound right that an individual could film a private shared area.

snowgirl29 Tue 14-Jun-16 20:30:44

Zucker grin

Bananalanacake Tue 14-Jun-16 20:39:12

Stop right in front of it and pick your nose and make a big show of eating it and pretending it's delicious. Well that's what I would do, as long as he can't see INTO my flat.

EsmeraldaEllaBella Tue 14-Jun-16 20:50:28

Since when was religious prejudice funny? Zucker etc

Contact ha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now