To think this was a bit tactless of the teacher

(408 Posts)
callherwillow Tue 14-Jun-16 17:27:32

The teacher in question referred to friends daughter (Year 4) as 'bonny'. I realise that there are areas of the country where this is just a compliment without any other connotations but here it essentially means 'fat.'

The friends DD was a few minutes late due to helping set up the assembly and upon entering had gone to sit with her friends and was stopped by the teacher who tried to steer her to the year 6s and when she politely explained she was in year 4 the teacher commented (in a whole school assembly where the children could all hear her) 'well, you are a very bonny girl for year 4, aren't you?'

Not the teachers finest hour, I don't think?

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 14-Jun-16 17:28:48

Is the teacher local?

BrandNewAndImproved Tue 14-Jun-16 17:31:05

Bonny doesn't mean fat.

Bonny means healthy and glowing.

Teachers are in general friendly to children, they don't go around purposely insulting them fgs.

MidnightHag Tue 14-Jun-16 17:31:24

Never heard of "bonny" meaning "fat".

araiba Tue 14-Jun-16 17:32:16

i have never heard of bonny meaning fat.

pretty, beautiful etc yes

ive never heard a non scottish type saying it either

IoraRua Tue 14-Jun-16 17:32:37

Depends where teacher is from and how common the local slang is. I've never heard of bonny = fat.

NeverbuytheDailyMail Tue 14-Jun-16 17:32:56

The only context in which that sentence makes sense is if she was saying she was big. She would hardly be saying that she is very pretty for year 4 (which is what bonny means here). Yip - inappropriate. I'd be tempted to have a word with head or deputy head and ask them to remind teachers that commenting on children's weight/size is not acceptable.

callherwillow Tue 14-Jun-16 17:33:30

Yes, I remember a similar discussion last time 'bonny' was mentioned on these boards - I realise that for some of you 'bonny' doesn't mean fat but it definitely does here. The fact that 'bonny' isn't fat in some areas of the country doesn't mean it isn't in others - or indeed vice versa smile

The teacher is local.

araiba Tue 14-Jun-16 17:36:48

well, you are a very fat girl for year 4, aren't you?'

doesnt make that much sense either

RhiWrites Tue 14-Jun-16 17:37:48

Here's a link to last time this came up: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2628469-To-ask-what-bonny-means-when-describing-a-baby?trending=1

Bonny does indeed mean fat. My auto correct tried to make that "Nommy does indeed mean fat" which is probably also true.

mrgrouper Tue 14-Jun-16 17:38:07

no way the teacher was calling the girl fat

Egosumquisum Tue 14-Jun-16 17:39:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PerspicaciaTick Tue 14-Jun-16 17:41:31

Bonny Bobby Shafto wasn't fat.

BalloonSlayer Tue 14-Jun-16 17:41:32

araiba If the local meaning for "bonny" is "fat" and the teacher, who is from the local area, said "well, you are a very bonny girl for year 4, aren't you?'" by way of explaining her mistake, then she was saying that the reason she mistook the girl for a Year 6 is because she is big for her age.

callherwillow Tue 14-Jun-16 17:41:54

I appreciate (as I said in my OP wink) that it has regional variations, but I can very confidently state that the teacher was calling her fat, because here bonny means fat.

It was saying - you're big for year 4.

bumbleymummy Tue 14-Jun-16 17:42:26

Can't it mean kind of 'big' rather than fat? As in she's quite tall for her age.

BalloonSlayer Tue 14-Jun-16 17:43:01

willow steel yourself for 985 messages of "YABU, bonny doesn't mean fat round here" before the thread gets mercifully full.

steff13 Tue 14-Jun-16 17:43:13

Is she overweight? If she isn't, then it doesn't make any sense that she meant fat.

I am really glad I'm not a teacher.

callherwillow Tue 14-Jun-16 17:43:14

She is tall yes, which is why 'you are tall for year 4' would have been a kinder way of explaining her mistake.

readytorage Tue 14-Jun-16 17:44:12

Where are you from op...the only place in the country where Bobby means fat? It means pretty or cute.

callherwillow Tue 14-Jun-16 17:44:12

I am a teacher.

I've managed never to call any of my pupils fat! If I did, I'd deserve a parental complaint.

She is tall and rather portly. 'Solid' would be how my friend would describe her.

bumbleymummy Tue 14-Jun-16 17:44:54

Even from a baby point of view I thought it could mean just a big, strapping baby iykwim. Not necessarily a bad thing! (I know it typically means pretty - I just mean that this is the way I have interpreted its alternative use)

acasualobserver Tue 14-Jun-16 17:45:25

Complain. This order:

Governors
Ofsted
MP
Pope
MI5
Queen

kitchenunit Tue 14-Jun-16 17:46:04

We had this exact same thread a few weeks ago.

To save you the bother, the conclusion was that it depends which area of the U.K. you're from.

readytorage Tue 14-Jun-16 17:46:08

*bonny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now