Wrongfully accused of shoplifting!

(267 Posts)
user1465893706 Tue 14-Jun-16 11:10:28

Thursday I visited a well known supermarket that I frequently visit. Did my shopping fine (without the aid of kids....lovely) went to leave the shop and the alarm barriers went off, backed up my trolley (thought it may have been the gentleman walking beside me who had triggered the alarm) and tried again, same thing happened. I got the attention of the lady working on the self service checkouts and showed her my receipt. I told her the probable cause of the alarm was the razor blades I had purchased. She checked my receipt and couldn't find razor blades on it. I had to dig through my bags to finally find the razor blades in the middle of one of my bags. Was a little annoyed at this point as the checkout girl had obviously not scanned correctly (to busy moaning to me about supermarket and how she has got a new job lined up). I was then taken to customer services and I paid for the razor blades after pointing out that maybe they should have words with the checkout girl to make sure she scans products correctly. I then left the shop. Got to my car, had to repack most of my shopping as most of it had been taken out of the bags in search of the razor blades, loaded my bags into the boot, put the trolley in the bay, got into my car and went to put my key into the ignition (all this had taken a fair amount of time). Just as I was about to start the car I had a tap on my window. I opened my car door to a woman dressed in black who then asked to see my receipt?!? I explained to her that all this was sorted out in the shop and I had paid for the razor blades. She then continued to tell me that was not the issue and it was the fact I had a lot of products in my shopping trolley not bagged up??? At this point I was getting very frustrated. I emptied the contents of my handbag only to find receipts not their then realised they must be in my shopping bags in the boot. I had to get the woman to move out of my way (she had came round the side of my car door as if to block me in) to exit the car. When I got to the boot of my car I was astonished to see the manager behind my car and 4 other employees a little further up blocking the car park??? 6 people in total!!!! I'm a 5ft woman in her 20's!!!! At this point I was absolutely furious, shaking and on the verge of tears. I managed to find the receipts and got the woman to look in my car although after all that she wasn't bothered in checking all my bags and just simply said "I can see its all there" (how when its all packed I do not know) I then asked the woman and the manager for an apology. She begrudgingly apologised but the manager point blank refused saying " I don't have to apologise if I suspect a thieve" they then left me. Luckily there was someone who witnessed all this that knows me from sight from my daughters pre school so she calmed me down enough so I could drive home (although I do not remember actually driving home). Luckily my husband was at home that day and as soon as I got home I had a full blown panic attack. My husband calmed me down, got a friend to sit with me, and took all my shopping back and demanded a refund, he eventually got it. He asked to speak to the manager 3 times and each time he refused to come speak to my husband. On the 4th attempt he got the employee to relay on the phone that he was not willing to come and apologise as in his eyes I was still a thief? I have written a letter of complaint and am still awaiting I response.

YorkieDorkie Tue 14-Jun-16 11:14:09

Get this on Twitter to the supermarket. They hate the attention and will do just about anything to see you right. That's really disgusting behaviour and really from your reaction they should have seen that you were not a thief.

InSpaceNooneCanHearYouScream Tue 14-Jun-16 11:15:48

You poor thing. How disgraceful! Keep complaining to the highest level!

Baconyum Tue 14-Jun-16 11:18:27

Sod twitter if be using the gits! That's disgraceful behaviour ! And name and shame here too!

SugarMiceInTheRain Tue 14-Jun-16 11:18:51

THey treated you awfully. I agree with taking to Twitter, they'll hate the negative publicity. I for one would never want to shop there again.

witsender Tue 14-Jun-16 11:19:59

It's really annoying, but whilst they were heavy handed I'm not sure they were really in the wrong tbh.

user1465893706 Tue 14-Jun-16 11:20:30

As I was writing this I had a response to my complaint and I am fuming. I'm going to get some advise from my husband and if a ok I will post my complaint letter plus the response which will explain in detail.

acasualobserver Tue 14-Jun-16 11:20:33

Yes, you need to find the manager's manager ... and so on.

EveryoneElsie Tue 14-Jun-16 11:21:59

Thats completely ridiculous! Why was this not sorted at the checkout?

user1465893706 Tue 14-Jun-16 11:24:08

I thought it was sorted at the check out????

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 14-Jun-16 11:24:57

Twitter
Facebook
Local press.
Name and shame the fuckers.
They've made a cunt out of you. Now it's time for you to return the favour.
Or I'd even consider speaking to a solicitor. False accusations. You could have a case there

MeAndMy3LovelyBoys Tue 14-Jun-16 11:27:14

That manager is an arrogant bastard.

Definitely don't let this drop.

Waffles80 Tue 14-Jun-16 11:27:42

Sod that - European Court of Human Rights, all the way.

while you still can

user1465893706 Tue 14-Jun-16 11:28:58

That is what I am wondering is if I have a case. This has really affected me. I keep snapping at my family, I don't now want to go shopping, I cant sleep very well. I am wondering if them surrounding my car could be classed as false imprisonment?

PerryHatter Tue 14-Jun-16 11:30:30

I'd definitely put it all over social media, they'll hate it grin plus, you usually find the online customer service is much better than the miserable twats in store disclaimer: not all retail staff are miserable twats

You did attempt to leave the shop with an item that hadn't been paid for. However, if you presented it for scanning and the employee failed to scan it then you are not a thief. You had attempted to pay for all the items and it is the shop that failed to take payment - difficult to spot within a large supermarket shop being scanned quickly.

My only thought would be if the razor blades were in security box then you would have noticed that the cashier had failed to remove it when you packed it.

I think they have to wait for you to actually leave the shop with the items for it to be shoplifting. Hence confronting you in the car park.

I know people will tell you to get on to twitter and email the CEO but is that the best thing for you? If you already found the whole event very stressful do you really want it plastered all over social media with your name attached? Given that the manager isn't going to apologise but on the other hand he is a total irrelevance in your life what would help you move on. Why does an apology from an arsy supermarket manager matter? Would it better better to think fuckwits and move on? What would help you most?

BurningGubbins Tue 14-Jun-16 11:32:11

I had something similar once. We activated the alarm in a shop because a bottle of suncream we'd bought in another branch a few weeks earlier hadn't been demagnetised properly. The staff, including the manager, were appalling. It was finally resolved by the highly scientific method of comparing its weight by hand with a new bottle. Thankfully we'd used enough to make the difference noticeable.
When I complained to Head Office they offered me a £10 voucher, which I didn’t bother claiming. Now on my list of boycotted shops!

It's a horrible experience, having to justify yourself because of someone else's mistake.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 14-Jun-16 11:32:17

Definitely worth seeing into. Yes I suppose it could be seen as false imprisonment.
I'd also find it very intimidating.
Please do not let this go.

witsender Tue 14-Jun-16 11:33:21

You are joking surely?

TheseLittleEarthquakes Tue 14-Jun-16 11:34:00

How traumatising for you. The utter fuckers. I would be taking this as far as possible.

Notbigandnotclever Tue 14-Jun-16 11:34:08

I would complain in writing but I wouldn't take it further as I would need it to just go away so I could move on. I wouldn't use that shop again though.

Notbigandnotclever Tue 14-Jun-16 11:35:54

Also if you went through a manned checkout how is it your fault that the blades weren't scanned? You heard the beep, checked it was you then went to get things checked. Why would you do that if you were a thief? Also if they wanted to check the rest of your shopping surely THAT would be the time to do it as you had already been through the "exit" beeper thing.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 14-Jun-16 11:36:02

name and shame them.

I get pissed off by Boots now where I work who often stop me to see the receipt after I've bought something (and used my own bag).

it is not my fault they now charge for bags, i don't pay the bag charge! really pisses me off.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 14-Jun-16 11:37:07

Chaz - FFS - it was the cashier's fault not OPs that she hadn't scanned the razor blades! They could be the blades that come in a flimsy packet not with a security code on.

witsender Tue 14-Jun-16 11:39:45

I'm not denying they were wrong, but this all seems like a massive overreaction. Traumatised? False Imprisonment? Solicitors?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now