School dress ruined at school!

(245 Posts)
DianaMitford Mon 13-Jun-16 20:03:55

As the title says. New dress, bought at the beginning of the summer term. 9yo DD, doing art today and black ink has soaked through her apron onto her dress. I washed it immediately she came home with Vanish and it's faded but it's ruined. I mean, she can still wear it but it's got black ink all down the front angry

My dilemma is that a new dress is £40 and there are no secondhand ones. Do I say anything to the school?? If so, what?!

Pineapple5678 Mon 13-Jun-16 20:05:47

£40 for a school dress!?!

SparklesandBangs Mon 13-Jun-16 20:05:47

How is a school dress £40

HangingRockPicnic Mon 13-Jun-16 20:05:58

Can't you buy one of the 2 for £7 ones from Tesco?

kitchenunit Mon 13-Jun-16 20:06:18

Was the apron school issue? If so I would point out that they don't do a great job. No point the school spending money on shit aprons that don't protect their clothes.

kimlo Mon 13-Jun-16 20:06:51

Terms nearly over I would just keep using it. She was wearing an apron so it was an accident, she should have been protected.

MrsPigling Mon 13-Jun-16 20:07:07

I had similar with black paint when dd1 was in year 3. I took the dress in the next day and complained. I've no idea what the ta washed it in, but it all came out!

araiba Mon 13-Jun-16 20:08:18

sounds like the best place for a school dress

deste Mon 13-Jun-16 20:08:27

My DDs school dress was £35 and that was twenty five years ago. I suspect it is a private school and you have to wear the one specified.

acasualobserver Mon 13-Jun-16 20:08:32

Governors
Ofsted
MP
MI5
Pope
Queen.

(My thanks to a poster on another school thread who assisted me in making this list as helpful as possible.)

HangingRockPicnic Mon 13-Jun-16 20:09:58

Ha ha Casual. Are you a teacher?

OSETmum Mon 13-Jun-16 20:10:31

I'm assuming it's a private school, in which case YANBU because if they insist on £40 dresses, they should make sure they keep them clean.

If it's a state school, YABU for buying a £40 dress when there's perfectly good ones for less than a fiver in every supermarket.

Reapwhatyousow Mon 13-Jun-16 20:12:44

Please just send her to shool in a clean (albeit) stained dress. Otherwise it sends out entirely the wrong message to a young girl that she ought to be spotless. Whereas young people go to school to learn and experiment and yes come home less than pristine!

RubbleBubble00 Mon 13-Jun-16 20:12:53

Iv had two polo shirts destroyed in last two weeks with blue paint and then back paint. Irritating but that's life at school

PaulAnkaTheDog Mon 13-Jun-16 20:16:27

That's life. It's school.

Frankly I'm more concerned that you initially spent £40 on a school dress.

freshprincess Mon 13-Jun-16 20:17:09

This close to the end of term I'd be reluctAnt to buy a new one. Depends how bad the stain is and how much trouble she would get into for having a stained dress.

KleineDracheKokosnuss Mon 13-Jun-16 20:18:50

Summer dresses are £40 at my DDs school too, and have no give so the button holes tend to rip. So I currently send her in the boys uniform.

Keep using the dress. There's not enough time left in the term to bother changing it.

Mumonthesofa Mon 13-Jun-16 20:19:30

My DC's shirts are stained with white board marker. I still send them in them, they are always clean and it is clearly a stain. if it were photo day or a trip I'd be sending them in sparkly new, but day to day I'd rather they relaxed and didn't worry about keeping clean!

pristinechristine Mon 13-Jun-16 20:20:48

£40?!
£3 in the Sainsburys sale.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Mon 13-Jun-16 20:21:06

I send DD is with stained uniform. With about 5 weeks left for her at school, I havent got anything new. Plus she grows like a weed so no point buying anything until September.

NeedsAsockamnesty Mon 13-Jun-16 20:23:54

The dresses are £45 at one of my kids schools as well and you are not allowed to get them from anywhere else

OliveBranchCollins Mon 13-Jun-16 20:26:10

DD's dresses are always stained by the tool of satan that is the mud kitchen.
I don't know what they have in it I have no problems getting mud out of sports kits including cricket whites

AppleSetsSail Mon 13-Jun-16 20:28:10

What would you like the school to do?

I think you must live with the stain or buy a new dress.

Andbabymakesthree Mon 13-Jun-16 20:29:08

£40 dress here too . Fortunately lots of hand me downs from school office.

Tackle it from the apron point of view.

Hulababy Mon 13-Jun-16 20:29:35

DD did something similar, after 2 or 3 washes it did fade a lot more to just a couple of areas. I made her still wear it, and just hoped her other one (r was it two?) would stay nice enough for events when she needed to be more smart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now