To strongly suspect that no parents faffs about making cardboard toys from toddler magazines?

(30 Posts)

Because ARGH! They take soooo looong... with a toddler shouting "is it done?" every 5 seconds for an hour. They're so fiddly.... making jupiter from fireman sam out of a glossy magazine cover is NOT FUN. An hours work for 20 seconds of toddler amusement. Argh! Surely hardly anyone bothers with these?

Parent. Without the 's'. Hrmph.

ThomasRichard Sun 12-Jun-16 22:23:26

No, I don't bother even presenting making the things to the DC as an option. They run riot with the stickers and that's it.

TheImprobableGirl Sun 12-Jun-16 22:23:54

I do!!!! Surely that was the point of having children? I also made a junk model dinosaur today

CaptainCallisto Sun 12-Jun-16 22:24:00

I spent a fucking age making a cardboard diorama thing out of the Thomas magazine last week. I feel your pain, OP.

Boogers Sun 12-Jun-16 22:24:06

My in-laws do. They've bought both DCs a comic every week for many years and always painstakingly assemble the crap that comes in it, but unfortunately said crap comes home to us where it is squashed and ruined and binned within a week.

TheImprobableGirl Sun 12-Jun-16 22:24:58

Sorry, whilst drinking wine. And dd1 and me majorly fell out, because she tried to "help" grrrr ..... You did mean without the children?

annandale Sun 12-Jun-16 22:26:58

I think they did that sort of thing at preschool.

To be fair, ds used to pile things on top of each other and tie string around it and around other things. I used to do the knots.

I did once also draw eyes on an egg box. When ds showed no immediate interest I stopped that carry-on.

GeekyWombat Sun 12-Jun-16 22:29:15

YNBU

My LO gets a magazine as a treat when we do a big Tesco shop together (usually as last resort if I'm working while she's at nursery). She gets to choose which one she gets but somehow sometimes when we get home a lot of the time whatever was on the front seems to have fallen off -and into the bin-

I know it won't last forever (eventually she'll remember!) but for now she's more into the colouring and stickers than the plasticine, mini post office kit or make your own Furchester Hotel Isobel that went astray...

froddyanddaffy Sun 12-Jun-16 22:29:19

My dh does!

ceeveebee Sun 12-Jun-16 22:31:30

I do! We make all the mister maker stuff!!
The problem is what to do with it afterwards, DD caught me putting some in the recycling today and was not happy.

ThomasRichard Sun 12-Jun-16 22:32:12

Surely the point of having children is so you can have another few years of going down the wavy slide at soft play centres?

Cakescakescakes Sun 12-Jun-16 22:32:30

I always do. Then recycle them the next day.

emsyj Sun 12-Jun-16 22:33:12

I had to make some glasses for DD1 a couple of weeks ago. There was a template to cut out in her CBeebies magazine and she is totally obsessed with glasses (no idea why) so I had to spend hours colouring the frame template in as instructed in detail by her, and gluing it to a cereal box to strengthen it etc etc etc.

The next day I went to Claire's Accessories and paid an extortionate price for some plastic 'fashion' glasses so I could bin the rubbish magazine cut out ones.

throwingpebbles Sun 12-Jun-16 22:36:15

I do!! Or rather I did before my boy started school. I am not at all arty and we both really enjoyed doing these projects together.

Muddlingalongalone Sun 12-Jun-16 22:39:47

Oh dear Lord no - just the stories, colouring, stickers & puzzles in this house.
I have a rule with all the crap DD1 wants to keep for making things - toothpaste boxes, loo rolls, Amazon boxes, tissue boxes - that if she hasn't used it within 2 weeks then it goes in the bin next time I'm emptying it

TeaPleaseBob Sun 12-Jun-16 22:49:16

My husband made a vroomster for go jetters from an egg box, foil etc as instructed by CBeebies magazine. My DD loved it, played with it a lot but then peed on it last week In the garden (she's only just 3. It was an accident not deliberate just incase anyone thinks it was a protest against übercorn's finest recruits).
Ah well, maybe we'll make something tomorrow and see if it can survive longer grin

Pumperthepumper Sun 12-Jun-16 22:51:26

I do! But I can't bring myself to read the stories, they're such a load of crap. DS adores Thomas the Tank and the antics of the engines are so dull I just can't bring myself to read them. His dad does though, he can't stand the arty junk.

Minniemagoo Sun 12-Jun-16 22:51:49

Yep, a roll of sellotape and stick of pritt stick later the cardboard Dino has enough of my DNA to replicate a very frustrated mammy for the next Jurassic Park movie!

I don't know whether to feel comforted that others are sharing the pain, or bad for being a terrible parent smile

megletthesecond Sun 12-Jun-16 22:58:28

Yanbu. Mine would never sit down to concentrate on them.

birdsdestiny Sun 12-Jun-16 23:03:16

I still remember the octonauts mobile I made 4 years ago, it took hours and was utter shite.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Sun 12-Jun-16 23:05:46

Christ no. Once or twice maybe. The only reason mine ever wanted magazines was to get the bit of shite strapped to the front of it, the actual stuff inside would rarely get looked at.

Iambubbles86 Sun 12-Jun-16 23:08:39

Ooh I made the Jupiter, it was really easy but I did use sellotape instead of glue. Ds2 has been wearing it as a hat

Iambubbles86. I also used sellotape. It was not easy. It was really fiddly. Hrmph.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now