to go next door a with a hammer and smash their tv into a thousand bits

(39 Posts)
AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:15:28

im so tired.

im nearly 3 months pregnant and i am in process of buying a (detached!!) house with dp.

thank fuck!!!!!

because ive got elderly deaf old codger neighbours and despite asking them already to turn their tv down it may as well be in my bloody bedroom. they have ignored me.

im up a 5am tomorrow for work. i could cry.
wibu to turn my radio on full blast at 5am and hope they get it then??

howtorebuild Sun 12-Jun-16 22:16:47

They probably won't hear your alarm.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sun 12-Jun-16 22:17:02

If you're that tired you'll sleep through anything..

Oysterbabe Sun 12-Jun-16 22:17:14

That's rather unkind calling him an old codger.
Have you tried earplugs?

byjimminey Sun 12-Jun-16 22:19:30

Sounds very annoying. Despite the fact that hey are old and probably don't mean to annoy you. Why should you have to wear ear plugs??

AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:21:13

they are rude and unpleasant and ive given up being kind oysterbabe. i used to take their bin out with mine - they only ever brought theirs in and left mine in the street.

the last time they kept me awake until 2am a delivery driver woke me up with a parcel FOR THEM when they didnt answer the door....they were asleep.

i can hear evey single word of their tv. i can tell which channel their on an what program their watching.

ExitPursuedByBear Sun 12-Jun-16 22:23:11

Nearly 3 months pregnant. You poor love.

Let's hope you live to a ripe old age to enjoy your lovely child and grandchildren.

And get to piss your neighbours off.

AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:23:32

last night their son started shouting and bawling at 1.40am. its every single night. cant wait to move.

AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:25:55

ive tried being nice - ive explained that i work shifts and some days am up at 5am so just maybe after 11pm could they turn the tv down a tad. she said she was " a bit deaf"

yes. i know.

i walked the dog earlier. you can hear their tv on the street about 5 houses away.

How long have you got to put up with it until you move?

If it's a while, it might be worth starting the noise control process with council/environmental health? But, if it's not so long, I feel for you, neighbour noise and sleeplessness is horrible but be comforted by the fact that the end is in sight.

Oysterbabe Sun 12-Jun-16 22:27:09

It seems like there's a soundproofing issue then.

Notcontent Sun 12-Jun-16 22:29:22

You have my full sympathy. I live in a badly built small Victorian terrace and the only reason it's bearable is because the neighbours on both sides are reasonable and mainly quiet. But instill dream of moving to a detached house and hopefully will in the future...

AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:30:01

we live in adjoining grade 2 listed cottages - so yes a sound proofng issue. its rented. im going soon. got to give 2 months notice and not got a completion date for sale of new place yet.

im going to ring their letting agent tomorrow and ask if they can have a word before i ring the council.

i cant really be arsed to start the noise thing with the council but i might threaten it.
they said when they moved in they wouldnt be there long. i suspect they have had complaints before....

RiverTam Sun 12-Jun-16 22:34:23

We had an elderly nei our who listened to his TV at full blast. We eventually mentioned it to him and he bought headphones and only watched without when watching the odd match. I think the fact that his daughter had said the same helped, is there any family you could get on side.

Oh, and no, even if you're exhausted noise can keep you awake.

AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 22:39:39

the thing is i know im up at 5 so ill lay and fret until they turn it off which is often around 2am.
these are both rentals, not seen any family visit. their son lives with them but i think he has some special needs. he does an awful lot of shouting, which is fine but last night it was 1.40 am and he was screaming "i dont care" at the top of his lungs.

the more i try to ignore it the more i cant.
ive asked them to turn it down after 11, which they dont.

its miserable. some mornings i come in at 3am from work and the temptation is to turn something on full blast and see if they get the message.
ive resisted so far.

RiverTam Sun 12-Jun-16 22:44:49

If they're that deaf they won't hear it anyway.

That sounds really hard.

AliceInUnderpants Sun 12-Jun-16 22:55:22

I hear you (no pun intended wink)
My neighbours are not old or deaf, but the TV goes on in their room between 9 and 11pm, and it's louder than I'd even listen to in my room at that time of night. I've considered buying them some blue tooth headphones each wink

RunLillian Sun 12-Jun-16 22:58:56

You don't have to give two months' notice. The law says one month, and contract can't supersede law in England and Wales.

Just in case that helps smile

AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 23:02:07

thanks - i sort of agreed 2 months just because ive got a nice landlady.....officially we are on a 1 month rolling contract now but id mentioned id be leaving soon and she asked if i could give 2 months....

if they are still next door i might say 'tatas to that though.....

TooMuchMNTime Sun 12-Jun-16 23:03:32

talk to the landlord
they should seriously get some of those headphones if their TV is that loud.

AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 23:21:09

its currently louder than i have MY tv on in MY own room. i can hear every word.

and im seriously getting pissed off with it. its bearable when im not up early but when i am i dread it.

AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 23:24:32

should have known, first day they moved in i bumped into the man and he was moaning he couldnt get the tv to work. it was the first thing they worried about.

feel like cutting the sodding aerial.

AprilSkies44 Sun 12-Jun-16 23:25:45

their letting agent is getting a call tomorrow. tired asking. ill complain to the letting agent and threaten the council next.

RunLillian Sun 12-Jun-16 23:29:29

ill complain to the letting agent and threaten the council next.

Do, and make sure that your LL is informed; s/he will have to disclose any noise complaints if s/he ever sells the property and may be able to intervene on your behalf.

CornishTea Sun 12-Jun-16 23:31:45

Give 4 weeks, this is about your quality of life, not your landladys.

I know what its like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now