to think that Tesco "scan and shop" is rubbish?

(59 Posts)
MoreKopparbergthanKrug Sat 11-Jun-16 16:35:12

I've only used it a handful of times but I've been selected for a "random" audit EVERY time.

There's only one staff member covering 8 pay stations and it seems that everyone gets selected for the "random" rescan so you have to wait for ages to pay. It seems like they've taken the worst bits of the self scan tills (hyper sensitive, not enough staff) and added a slow down of the actual shopping process (you have to scan each item as you go rather than just grab off the shelf and lob in the trolley).

MidMay Sat 11-Jun-16 16:37:01

I had a lot of checks initially but barely any these days. Always use it now.

RunRabbitRunRabbit Sat 11-Jun-16 16:39:59

I love the self scan.

Your purchasing patterns must be waving multiple red flags in their "propensity to fraud" algorithms.

What are you buying OP? Formula and gin at 2am on the second last day of the month?

skivvywoman Sat 11-Jun-16 16:44:55

I love it! At first I was always selected now very very rarely do I get picked

MagicMonkeys Sat 11-Jun-16 16:47:45

I've never seen these? You scan on the way around?

MoreKopparbergthanKrug Sat 11-Jun-16 16:48:28

Lol Rabbit, no, not even beer/wine today. Tbh, they know my purchasing patterns already from my club card and I've not changed since I started s+s. The staff member who did my audit said she's been using it for ages and gets audited every time and every single pay station was being audited pretty much constantly today.

I did wonder if they audit more often in "my" tesco cus it's not a particularly naice area.

Crikeyblimey Sat 11-Jun-16 16:52:29

I love it. Rarely get audited but when I have been, they've usually been really quick and helpful. In our local massive shop it is way quicker that the regular tills cos I pack as I shop. No faffing unloading a trolley to have to then pack bags - I can pack much more tactically too.

MoreKopparbergthanKrug Sat 11-Jun-16 17:04:03

Sounds like it's just me then (luddite blush)

Do your tescos have holsters on the trolleys for the zappers? I might have found the shopping easier if I wasn't carrying the zapper and pushing a wonky trolley... and wrangling the kids, but that last one's probably not tesco's fault!

dementedpixie Sat 11-Jun-16 17:08:06

The trolleys at our tesco got wee holders added to them for the scanner so it's much easier. I don't get security checked often and when I do I normally only have a few items. I like them. Means you can price check stuff if there isn't a price on the shelf too

CPtart Sat 11-Jun-16 17:08:17

I love it too. Don't get selected for random check often. Can be in and out in half the time. There was once an issue when I was selected and the cashier during his check thought I had missed scanning one item (I hadn't). Was then made to endure the indignity of sitting in a holding area next to the exit with everyone staring like I was some sort of con, whilst he proceeded to unpack and scan every single item. "System error" apparently! No discount off my total shop for the inconvenience or anything!

dementedpixie Sat 11-Jun-16 17:09:33

And when the kids are with me they like to hold the scanner or push the trolley for me

Penfold007 Sat 11-Jun-16 17:13:44

The Tesco super store near me 'randomly' selects anyone buying booze (fair enough) or meat. Apparently meat is one of their biggest losses due to theft.

The80sweregreat Sat 11-Jun-16 17:15:43

its not without its faults and I do feel a bit guilty that someone is possibly losing their job over all this, but it is good. It does away with the faff of unloading, then re-loading all the goods and I can pack carefully on my way round. I know if I buy wine it will be checked so I try to catch the person's eye that is hovering around before I scan onto the screen. Some of the barcodes are a bit tricky to scan, but, overall, its not a bad system. They need a few more staff about when its busy I think. Its only in the very big tescos where I live and not in any other supermarkets that I know of anyway.

SelinaMeyerVP Sat 11-Jun-16 17:18:54

I can never work out how to get the scanner from the holders. I waft my clubcard through the scanner a million times and eventually one lights up on the other side hmm

MatildaTheCat Sat 11-Jun-16 17:23:00

Since our local Waitrose changed the self scan checkout to being self service I have never once had an audit. Before that it happened occasionally and always when I was in a hurry. Waitrose used to audit your entire shop so it took ages.

Sorry, not much help am I?

Sparklingbrook Sat 11-Jun-16 17:24:06

I think it's brilliant. I never have any problems with it TBH in fact there was a thread only last week...

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2654218-am-i-the-only-person-who-loves?msgid=61507877

But as much as I love it I don't love Tesco.

PippaFawcett Sat 11-Jun-16 17:25:46

I love it too! I get audited quite regularly too and it was v annoying when there was no-one around AT ALL to help but apart from that, it is so much quicker and cuts out a layer - the taking out of the trolley and putting it back in the trolley - so I love its efficiency! So much better than self scan tills.

sepa Sat 11-Jun-16 17:27:19

Scan and shop is hilarious (If you went with my mum one time) who scanned (by accident) only 1 out of 2 cucumbers. She then said to the young lad who had to scan her whole shopping through that she doesn't even eat cucumber. I was laughing so much and the young lad turning pink (it took my mum a while to realised how we had both taken the statement) but reading this maybe it's more a should have been there type thing....grin

Laiste Sat 11-Jun-16 17:28:10

Those scanner holder things used to poke me painfully in the belly when i was pregnant.

I tried scanning my own shopping 3 times and got checked each time. Didn't bother again. I do buy a lot of meat though, so perhaps that was it?

AmIthatbloodycold Sat 11-Jun-16 17:28:57

I rarely get checked, but even when I have been its been quick

I love it as a way of shopping, and don't think it's rubbish at all

VulcanWoman Sat 11-Jun-16 17:30:07

I think I would get distracted and forget to scan an item.

Groovee Sat 11-Jun-16 17:34:43

I had random checks for the first 3/4 times I used it. Since then only about twice in the 18 months I have been using it!

Tokelau Sat 11-Jun-16 17:35:35

I love scan and shop, it's so quick and easy. Sadly, they haven't got it in our local Tesco.

CheshireChat Sat 11-Jun-16 17:42:25

I love it as often it's a great way to avoid the massive queues. You get checked a lot at the beginning and then you get left alone.

Jessbow Sat 11-Jun-16 17:42:54

I thin there are triggers to 'checking'
alcohol
drugs ( paracetamol etc
Meat over a certain value
and n*th customer.

I have a friend that work in that section

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now