Aibu to not give money back?!

(35 Posts)
Serenitymummy Fri 10-Jun-16 21:22:19

Sold a buggy on local Facebook selling page, it was expensive when bought, used for around a year then stored for just over two years. DH and I now decided we're not gonna have any more DC so sold it, advertised for £40 and was knocked down to £35.

Collected it on Monday, hassled me all of Tuesday saying that she needed the cosy toes (which I didn't specify I had) and if I don't have that bit she'd have to bring it back. Found it, she asked if I'd deliver it, I said no. She collected.

Wed she messaged to say she and her daughter love it thanks so much.

Today messages to say the wheel had broken/snapped and it's now unusable. Wants to bring it back and me refund her. Bearing in mind it was in great condition when sold as I wouldn't con someone like that, aibu to tell her to get stuffed?!

TowerRavenSeven Fri 10-Jun-16 21:23:56

Yanbu!

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 10-Jun-16 21:25:40

Caveat emptor.

IceMaiden73 Fri 10-Jun-16 21:26:08

Tell her sold as seen and its not your fault that it is now broken

limon Fri 10-Jun-16 21:26:53

sold as seen. yanbu.

wiltingfast Fri 10-Jun-16 21:27:26

I'd probably take it back tbh. She probably can't afford to be wasting money on broken buggies. Not your fault, shit happens.

Pearlman Fri 10-Jun-16 21:29:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KirstyJC Fri 10-Jun-16 21:29:59

If it worked when she bought it then she broke it. Why should you pay for her breaking something? No chance - tell her it was sold as seen and she seemed to like it well enough when she thanked you so it obviously was working then.

Senpai Fri 10-Jun-16 21:30:21

When you buy used, you take the risk of it being less sturdy than something new. She knew the risk and bought it as is.

I wouldn't refund her.

It doesn't cost must to fix a broken wheel.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Fri 10-Jun-16 21:32:29

Common scam where I am is to buy one in good condition, then demand money back for one the buyer already had that's broken.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Fri 10-Jun-16 21:33:05

I wouldn't refund. It functioned when sold. She was happy, you have the text. Not your problem she broke it.

Imnotacelebgetmeouttahere Fri 10-Jun-16 21:33:52

Yanbu .... However my sister bought a buggy this week from a selling page, obv checked it over when collected and appeared fine - paid the £150....

When she used it the next day it appears the handle bar is completely snapped off and only becomes apparent when collapsing / opening it ... The lady did offer q full refund but said it would only cost £45 to replace so dsis said ok not to worry.

1hr later she realises the front wheel doesn't contact the pavement correctly and now the woman says tough it was perfect when it left

So I guess the sold as seen makes it tricky as some issues aren't always apparent till later on

gamerchick Fri 10-Jun-16 21:35:34

Tell her it's not eBay, it's buy as seen and not to contact you again then block.

bloodyteenagers Fri 10-Jun-16 21:37:14

That's why when you buy anything you do more than a quick once over.

Jellybeam Fri 10-Jun-16 21:40:17

I would refund her the money. I bought a second hand maclaren from a woman for £40 with the brakes working. When I took DD out with it the next day both brakes stopped working. I texted the cunt and she refused to refund. You're not really losing out on anything if you take it back.

underneaththeash Fri 10-Jun-16 21:50:10

I wouldn't refund either. If it was fine when you sold it and then subsequently broke, how is that your fault? They probably did something to break it.

Jelly - she is losing out, by taking back a now-broken buggy how can the OP sell it on.

KissMyArse Fri 10-Jun-16 21:50:22

Hmmm, difficult one for me.

While I appreciate the 'caveat emptor' side of things I personally would feel guilty that something I sold broke so quickly.

I'd probably ask her to bring everything back (to make sure it was the stuff I sold her) and offer a partial refund.

EveryoneElsie Fri 10-Jun-16 21:54:33

Can you prove the one she brings back is the same one?
Can you afford to lose the money?

Legally, I dont think you are obliged to refund her. You dont know what happened to make the wheel break. They will do if you pile on the weight no matter how good the condition.

LyndaNotLinda Fri 10-Jun-16 21:55:01

I bet you a fiver she's trying it on. Don't give her anything.

happypoobum Fri 10-Jun-16 21:56:46

I bet it isn't the same buggy that gets brought back. Even if it is,she has broken it, so why on earth should OP be liable?

LizKeen Fri 10-Jun-16 22:01:09

When I took DD out with it the next day both brakes stopped working. I texted the cunt and she refused to refund.

What part of that warrants you calling her a cunt? hmm

Buying second hand is always a risk. Don't give her the money back. For all you know she broke it on Thursday.

TheWitTank Fri 10-Jun-16 22:04:39

Cunt seems a bit harsh confused

Serenitymummy Fri 10-Jun-16 22:07:42

Thanks for the input ladies, was feeling guilty but also the principle stands. I just think she broke it then tried it on to get her money back!

DaveCamoron Fri 10-Jun-16 22:09:08

She's trying it on, even if she wasn't YANBU to not give a refund.

PovertyPain Fri 10-Jun-16 22:16:21

Common scam where I am is to buy one in good condition, then demand money back for one the buyer already had that's broken.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now