To object to people speaking WAY TOO loudly

(22 Posts)
pandarific Thu 09-Jun-16 18:58:41

Disclaimer: I hate noise in general, so I may possibly bu. However.

Why the arse must people speak at several decibels above normal level when they're just talking, not specially ensuring they are heard? Barring hearing issues of course.

I have just waited with a mum and kids at a bus stop, all of whom SPOKE LIKE THIS ABOUT A PARTY and then what was for dinner, and then new shoes. Nothing urgent or exciting, just LOUD. The smallest one (6ish) was the loudest but all three could have woken the dead. When I was on the top of the bus I could hear them on the bottom deck, while the bus was in motion. That's not a normal conversational level, is it?!

And I have a lovely workmate who SPEAKS VERY LOUDLY at all times too, even when face to face in very tiny meeting rooms. When they use the phone it's really, really loud. Like going through over-ear headphones playing music to try to drown it out- like a fecking bell.

Aaargh. am IBU? (I accept I may be a curmudgeon)

Gatekeeper Thu 09-Jun-16 19:01:45

nope; I agree 100%

me and dh were in a shop the other day where the manager was hollaring at the top of his voice aabout what he had for tea last night and talking to other staff
"SUSAN,SUSAN, CAN YOU MOVE THOSE TINS OF BEANS"
repeat

I couldn't concentrate on what I needed to buy with this and all his huffing, puffing and flouncing about

MistressChalk Thu 09-Jun-16 19:04:02

I hate overly loud speaking in offices. A colleague of mine pretty much shouts down the phone and bursts into raucous peals of laughter and it makes me want to staple my face. They also have a habit of standing at the office door and screaming someone's name if they are outside until they come in, just go and find them they can't be far!!! I hate shouting at most times because it's usually unnecessary. But I am a miserable cow and sensitive to loudness so we could both be unreasonable grin

Sprink Thu 09-Jun-16 19:04:15

Hmmm. I'm foreign and struggle to hear most English people, especially in small social situations.

Seinfeld did an entire episode about this. The girl was dubbed a "low talker," I believe. grin

AnnaMarlowe Thu 09-Jun-16 19:04:26

More people than you'd think have hearing issues, however I do occasionally have to bite my tounge from telling some particular relatives to use their quiet voices...

pandarific Thu 09-Jun-16 19:07:44

It's just so fecking annoying. It makes me want to shut a door on my head.

isthatpoisontoo Thu 09-Jun-16 19:12:25

I hate it, too, and I'm married to one of them. He has hearing issues, you wouldn't know because his lipreading and guessing is excellent. I think a lot of people just don't know they are being loud and have no one to tell them. Calling between rooms, on the other hand, I'm never nice about- it's just lazy.

WreckingBallsInsideMyHead Thu 09-Jun-16 19:13:40

Several people at work are so loud I can't sit near them or I can't concentrate. They're well aware of it and make no effort to speak quieter (not just me that complains btw, the majority find it difficult)

But yes, it especially annoys me on the train home from work when I just want s quiet half hour and some idiots are shouting about crap

LarrytheCucumber Thu 09-Jun-16 19:19:07

I have a loud voice, which came in very handy when I was teaching, but I do find it hard to moderate the level of my voice. When I was a student my friends used to say that if I was on the top deck of a bus they could hear me on the bottom blush
I do try, but unless someone reminds me I often forget.

iwouldliketoseethesemangoes Thu 09-Jun-16 19:23:18

YANBU. I had an ex who did this. Constantly bellowed in everyday conversation like he was performing on stage in a bloody Shakespearean play.

kelper Thu 09-Jun-16 19:25:59

Sounds like DS, he seems unable to talk normally, I'm forever asking him not to bellow at me, to come and talk at a normal level :-/
Mind you, DH is the same, talking at the top of his voice when I'm right next to him.

DeathStare Thu 09-Jun-16 20:00:54

I completely agree. Please could you come and explain to my pre-teen, who does it all the time, that I'm not the only one?

Caffeinator Thu 09-Jun-16 20:20:47

YANBU. It irritates me intensely.

dillydotty Thu 09-Jun-16 20:26:45

I was sat on the back seat of the top deck of a packed bus. I could hear every boring word of a conversation between two girls on the front seat. Why? Do they not realise?

BeautyQueenFromMars Thu 09-Jun-16 20:27:15

YANBU. Unfortunately, my son is like this. I have spent the past 8 years (he's nearly 10) constantly telling him to quieten down. Alas, it has been to no avail because he still sounds like a bloody forlorn!

BeautyQueenFromMars Thu 09-Jun-16 20:27:42

forlorn foghorn!

OurBlanche Thu 09-Jun-16 20:35:22

smile They occasionally get a bit of a reality check.

There was a young lady walking and talking into her phone - bellowing about her test results, the doctor had said X Y and Z, her fanny wasn't going to fall off but she would need drugs A B and C... "S'lucky he's away for a while"

It was a bit alarming and lots of people, including me, stopped and turned to look. She paused, shouted the only to be expected "Wotchewlookinat?" to be answered, by a frail old lady with a walker... "A dirty girl from the sound of it"

Cue everyone else rapidly looking away.

Now, this is a very small town, very, very small. Local FB pages carried all the details in less than 10 minutes. I understand that there is a gentleman who is ahem working away who may be in for a surprise when he gets home! smile or shock but definitely confused

abbsismyhero Thu 09-Jun-16 20:40:01

i have one son with no quiet voice a teenager who talks loud when she gets excited (and she is excited a lot) a younger son who has occasional hearing problems (he ignores me by closing his eyes which is cute but irritating) i really wish they would BE QUIET

Ankleswingers Thu 09-Jun-16 20:58:34

Oh lord, yes to this. Nothing annoys me more.

My FIL is unbelievably loud when he talks. In fact, in the whole time that I have known him, I have never known him to speak, only bellow. VERY VERY LOUDLY.

So much so, that when he comes to our house and goes into our garden, I get embarrassed and rather flustered. He will shout and bellow and everyone in the vicinity must be able to hear him and being quite private people, it's not great when he starts to ask, sorry bellow, to DH , questions such as how much money his last tax bill was etc

I can't bear it. I just want to gag him.

When he rings to speak to DH, I can be upstairs in the bedroom, DH can be downstairs in the Kitchen, and I can hear every word of what he is saying on the telephone. Admittedly, I do have very good hearing but, even so, he is incapable of actually speaking in a normal tone.

The only way I can describe it is like being in a nightclub ( many moons ago for me!) and yelling at your friend what she wants to go with her Vodka. "COKE or ORANGE?" "WHAAAT??" "COKKKE OR ORANNNGE?"

You get my drift?

Nightmare

ABCAlwaysBeCunting Thu 09-Jun-16 21:04:58

There are a couple of loud people at work whose voices seem to go right through me. Sometimes I have to put headphones on to block it out. It's not that I want silence - I hate it when the office is too quiet.i think it's just the pitch or tone of their voices or something.

There was a young guy on the tube the other week boasting very loudly and annoyingly to his mate about his job. It was obvious everyone in earshot was getting fed up, then a woman moved strategically at a stop to stand between them. I wanted to hug her. It must have been deliberate. grin

wasonthelist Thu 09-Jun-16 21:50:19

YADNBU Why in the name of feck do people do this?

pandarific Thu 09-Jun-16 22:08:28

"COKKKE OR ORANNNGE?"

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now