AIBU to think it's not acceptable to smack your lips

(9 Posts)
TTwidow Wed 08-Jun-16 20:16:27

Argh it drives me insane but I do think it's only good manners to teach your children to eat with mouths closed.

Small family members aged 7 and 9 have both started to eat with their mouths wide open and, if that wasn't bad enough, they smack their lips with every thunderous mouthful. The parents say nothing about it. I have asked said children to eat with their mouths closed as has DH. How can the message be politely and civilly put across without me exploding in a completely irrational manner?

I have to point out that i can't bare to hear people eating but even my calm husband and tolerant children think it's disgusting.

Do these children have sinus problems?

I don't like the sight/sound of eating with mouth open.

Wolfiefan Wed 08-Jun-16 20:21:23

If they aren't your kids avoid meals with them. Not your job to tell them to eat nicely. It's up to their parents.

BYOSnowman Wed 08-Jun-16 20:27:50

How old are your kids? Could they have a word?

TTwidow Wed 08-Jun-16 21:04:43

Mine are 12 and 9 but too polite to say something like that.
I think I'll have to try and avoid eating with them, or at least place myself as far away as poss.
They never used to do it and I'm puzzled why it's started. It's been going on a few months now.

BYOSnowman Wed 08-Jun-16 21:11:33

I was thinking more if you had an older child they might look up to they could say 'hey dudes, that eating with your mouth open thing is not cool' (or whatever lingo the youth are using these days)

how close are you to the parents? If it were my sister I would tell her tbh

Or you could just avoid mealtimes with them!!

Arfarfanarf Wed 08-Jun-16 21:17:07

Could they be doing it to wind you up? Kids are buggers :D

Querty12345 Thu 09-Jun-16 00:43:19

'hey dudes, that eating with your mouth open thing is not cool'

Amazing 💃🏻

jusdepamplemousse Thu 09-Jun-16 07:32:39

YANBU. It's fucking disgusting. I have family members who eat like this. And they talk with their bloody mouths full and SOMETIMES FOOD FALLS OUT shockconfusedangry.

Conversely they think I'm rude because will finish chewing and swallow before replying if someone talks to me when eating. I mean it doesn't take that long but I've actually been asked if I'm ok before (wtf).

Sorry. This is a sensitive topic for me. Anyway YANBU and if these are your nieces and/or nephews and their parents are reasonably non hysterical people who won't go NC with you over it, tell them. Prob in a nice breezy casual but yet very firm way that leaves them in no doubt that their offspring are disgusting. Which isn't really possible is it grin.

I feel your pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now