Would you be offended at this?

(11 Posts)
namechangeparents Wed 08-Jun-16 11:02:11

Yesterday I was walking from a work event to Waterloo station in London (takes about half an hour) and was getting a bit fed up at people walking into me because they were looking at their mobile phones.

Anyway a lady with a wheelie case suddenly stops right in front of me to look at her phone. I mutter "for god's sake" as I swerve around her. She turns round and shrieks "mind your bloody language" (somewhat ironically I thought).

Did I swear? She had a Scottish accent so was she a God-fearing Presbyterian? I was somewhat flummoxed.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Wed 08-Jun-16 11:05:14

Wtf?!

She was probably having just as an annoying day as you OP. She probably picked on the only thing she could because she was embarrassed and knew it was her stopping dead that irritated you.

Ifailed Wed 08-Jun-16 11:05:27

Sadly, there are still some people who don't understand the Rules for commuting. You can either get worked up about it and go home angry, or shrug it off.

gabsdot Wed 08-Jun-16 12:11:08

Some people would consider using God's name is vain as swearing. It's the third commandment.

FlyingElbows Wed 08-Jun-16 12:13:44

Oh aye, wu'r aw God fearin' folk up here wi ur kilts an wu'r ginger hair!! Lol, she was probably just a bit fraught.

wasonthelist Wed 08-Jun-16 12:15:15

We have tried to dissuade DD from using Oh my God all the time as one of her Grandmothers considers it unacceptable. I don't like it but not for religious reasons.

Flumplet Wed 08-Jun-16 12:24:38

Unless she misheard you and thought you muttered 'for fucksake' ?

NeedACleverNN Wed 08-Jun-16 12:30:45

Yanbu OP. That irritates me no end

Or when people are walking through a narrow passageway and then stop right at the top to decide which way they want to go. Meanwhile everyone behind you is cursing because you have just randomly stopped

BarbaraofSeville Wed 08-Jun-16 12:37:00

YANBU

Infuriating aspect of modern life that people walk down the street staring at their screens and expect others to avoid them.

I wonder what happens when 2 of them meet head to head?

wasonthelist Wed 08-Jun-16 12:39:07

People who stop dead at the top of escalators are really fun, too.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Wed 08-Jun-16 12:39:25

You took the Lord her God's name in vain and she put you in your place.

Am wondering if my mother was in London yesterday and didn't tell me. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now