To think FIL should just shut up

(23 Posts)
Puffinity Tue 07-Jun-16 21:28:55

We live in a first floor flat. Our shower has been leaking into the flat below and this evening their ceiling came down. I was on the phone sorting something else out, so DP said he'd contact the landlord. I heard him in the other room, talking for a good 15 minutes, assuming he was sorting it out. Turns out he was speaking to FIL (trying to quickly return a missed call and arrange a better time to chat). Apparently he told him 'Sorry dad, now is not a good time, the ceiling downstairs has just fallen down' and FIL just kept on boring him to death talking. shock confused

fryingtoday Tue 07-Jun-16 21:32:01

Wow your neighbours must be livid!

Gide Tue 07-Jun-16 21:32:07

Your DP should not have returned the call. What a numpty!

How long has the shower been leaking that the ceiling came down?! That should have been sorted immediately. As a landlord, if I were notified, I'd have the contractor out the next day.

Jofo Tue 07-Jun-16 21:32:13

I'd be cross with DP, not FIL, for not ending the conversation earlier either by being firm or just hanging up.

Queenbean Tue 07-Jun-16 21:33:32

Your DP is an adult. He should've been more forceful and told FIL he had to go.

YABU.

Cookingongas Tue 07-Jun-16 21:33:57

Dp not fil is at fault.

Hassled Tue 07-Jun-16 21:34:21

This isn't FIL's fault. Your DP knew he was a talker when he chose to ring him rather than deal with the ceiling.

Creatureofthenight Tue 07-Jun-16 21:35:35

DP was a pillock I'm afraid.

Puffinity Tue 07-Jun-16 21:42:54

Ok Ok everyone, I know it wasn't the best call on DP's behalf pun intended but he thought that even FIL would realise that a collapsed ceiling warrants shutting up. Announces massive drip feed relations with FIL are difficult at the best of times, he gets very funny about phone calls and we're trying to keep relations good.

Re ceiling: it seemed like a simple, minor leak. Landlord came straightaway, had it fixed, it seemed fine for a few days. Then it started again, landlord sent someone round, we were following instructions to limit the damage. Tonight downstairs neighbour complained about it getting worse and as DP and neighbour were looking at it the whole thing collapsed. Neither landlord nor handyman are professionals, obviously.

Puffinity Tue 07-Jun-16 21:44:14

BTW - how does someone 'being like that' excuse them for being stupid??

CantAffordtoLive Tue 07-Jun-16 21:46:14

WTF? God Almighty! Your 'DP' is an utter pillock.. I hope that karma comes calling soon smile

I was in a rented house for a while, so the leak in the loft was no ones fault as such, it is shocking to see how much damage a water leakage can cause in such a short time.

Puffinity Tue 07-Jun-16 21:55:36

Can we all please stop calling my DP names? And anyway, it turns out he had already called the landlord. I can assure you FIL is the pillock here! I have posted about him before (probably under a different name), but how he behaves towards DP and me can be considered bullying when he's on form but that's a whole other thread.

Queenbean Tue 07-Jun-16 21:56:42

You posted on AIBU and then thoroughly drip fed OP. I'm not sure what else you expected to happen!

PotteringAlong Tue 07-Jun-16 21:58:05

No, your DP is the pillock for returning the call at that moment.

VocalDuck Tue 07-Jun-16 22:00:43

If someone called me and told me their ceiling downstairs had fallen down, I wouldn't assume it was that bad a time to talk because why would they ring if they were in the middle of an emergency!

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Tue 07-Jun-16 22:02:05

Less of a drip feed and more of a deluge (sorry couldn't resist)

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Tue 07-Jun-16 22:02:58

Water pain in the arse you FIL sounds

Crispbutty Tue 07-Jun-16 22:04:26

Why did your dp not just ring back when it was a better time. He is the one at fault here.

Puffinity Tue 07-Jun-16 22:04:31

Alright, keep the jokes coming grin

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Tue 07-Jun-16 22:07:37

I think you're going to have to pool your resources and get it fixed

foursillybeans Tue 07-Jun-16 22:09:10

Drip feed read and acknowledged....no, it's still your DP's fault. Why would he return the call before addressing a collasped ceiling? You call the landlord then you ring your FIL back. Your DP was daft and your FIL was not doing anything wrong. If someone has bothered to ring you then you would assume it was ok to actually chat to them otherwise why would they ring!

Applejack29 Tue 07-Jun-16 22:17:27

Tell your do not to be so wet wink

HowBadIsThisPlease Tue 07-Jun-16 22:17:29

"Neither landlord nor handyman are professionals, obviously."

Nightmare. I have had landlords like this. "I'll come and have a look...." ("Oh god"). I remember dashing up the stairs at the speed of light to close newborn dd's bedroom window, the summer evening LL came round with a half full can of Asda fly spray, stood on a chair, and started spraying the wasps's nest just underneath the open bedroom window.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now