Blanket 20mph restriction

(24 Posts)
LilithCrane Tue 07-Jun-16 15:22:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LurkingHusband Tue 07-Jun-16 15:28:57

Get used to it ...

www.birmingham.gov.uk/20mph

we didn't get a vote, so what we feel is immaterial. However, I was on a speed awareness course 2 years ago, and the take home message was:

1) Get used to a lot more "zones" - in particular 20mph
2) Get used to speed limits being reduced - even on "fast" roads (e.g. a road currently signed for 70 being reduced to 50)
3) Get used to a lot more camera enforcement.

All the above is the result of research by the Highways Agency and DoT - which trumps anecdote.

SquidTableau Tue 07-Jun-16 15:40:01

30 is not slow enough in areas where there will be pedestrians I think as the graphic shows.

Princesspeach1980 Tue 07-Jun-16 15:42:52

I sometimes wonder if councils impose 20mph zones with the aim of getting people to actually drive at around 30mph, on the basis that most people do a bit over the limit. The town where my kids go to school has a 20mph limit which is stick to, but I think the majority do around 30

LilithCrane Tue 07-Jun-16 15:45:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LurkingHusband Tue 07-Jun-16 15:46:49

most people do a bit over the limit

Then "most people" are in for a hell of a shock. There was a lady done for 31 in a 30 on my course. The vast majority of attendees were "oooohhh that's shocking". The instructors comment ?

"Get used to it."

CigarsofthePharoahs Tue 07-Jun-16 15:47:44

Where I used to live there was quite a long road that was a blanket 20mph the whole length. This was because there was a pelican crossing in the middle that was part of a busy route to a school.
Guess what? Vast majority of drivers did not stick to 20mph, many did in excess of 30. They'd have had more success if just the main approach to the crossing was 20, not the whole road.
There was a large police station not far from the road, so I saw a lot of police cars, none of which were ever sticking to 20.
I suspect most people will speed outside of the camera controls.

Greydog Tue 07-Jun-16 15:50:38

It's a complete waste of time, and only the people who make/put up the signs have gained from this. Our road has a 20mph sign on it - no one has ever driven up it faster than that as it's so narrow. Other roads have the 20, then 30 for maybe 200yards, then back to 20. If you try to stick to the 20 you have angry 4x4 drivers up the back bumper (and most of them are the doting mamas taking their darlings to the school) There are not enough police to enforce the limit - the whole thing has been a total farce. When we asked how many accidents had been caused in this particular group of roads due to speeding there was just one. And that was car on car at - you've guessed - the school. However, it's flavour of the month so it'll just happen

BrandNewAndImproved Tue 07-Jun-16 15:52:19

It's in my city.

Good for some roads, utter shit for others. No-one sticks to it or if they do they get beeped and shouted at. Everyone does 30 now whereas before it was 35/40 so I suppose it's good in a way.

The police don't park their speed vans on the 20mph roads.

peggyundercrackers Tue 07-Jun-16 15:58:19

I'm guessing you live in Dundee. yep its a shit solution and your right not everyone drives like a maniac. given the council need to make cuts to the tune of something like 90million I wonder how much it will take to change all the road signs to reflect this.

clarrrp Tue 07-Jun-16 16:01:20

I'm all for it. Here in Belfast you rarely manage to get over 20mph in the town centre anyway.

LurkingHusband Tue 07-Jun-16 16:04:51

I suspect most people will speed outside of the camera controls.

"Most people" had better get used to understanding average speed cameras ...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36399408

GoudyStout Tue 07-Jun-16 16:09:18

It's a 20 mph speed limit in our city centre too. Seems to work just fine (so many traffic lights that it's stop / start anyway).

And average speed cameras are going up on the local dual carriageways too.

Witchend Tue 07-Jun-16 16:18:44

Dm's village has gone down to 20 throughout. It rarely had speed an issue and the schools/parks etc. are far enough back from roads not to be a worry. Completely ridiculous. Many of the villages have done similar. There was no public consultation... Interestingly one of the towns did and it cane overwhelmingly out against the 20mph limit.

This means the council has spent into the tens of thousands (I think into the hundreds) on updating road signs etc. Which means they don't have the money to do other things like mending the many potholes, they've neglected the roads for years and they really are in a dreadful state.

And they don't bother monitoring it so it's made no difference to how most people drive. hmm Apparently the police said it would cost too much.

LurkingHusband Tue 07-Jun-16 16:20:34

Which means they don't have the money to do other things like mending the many potholes

To be fair, a 20mph limit does actually address the pothole issue smile

RiverTam Tue 07-Jun-16 16:23:26

Huge chunks of my London borough are now 20mph, on some roads it's ridiculous, huge wide roads with no schools and very few pedestrians. Also, the police don't support it so none of the speed cameras have been changed. You now have a situation where some people do 20 and some do up to 30. It's a mess.

HowardsEnd Tue 07-Jun-16 16:27:09

I long for a London-wide 20mph limit, but even more for the existing ones to be enforced... I'd love to be able to cycle around with my children - not on the main roads, on the supposedly quiet residential ones, and whilst they ARE generally quiet, and empty, every minute or so some lunatic comes barrelling along, and it's just too scary. For me the point of 20mph is making streets more liveable.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 07-Jun-16 16:29:18

It's in my city. Plenty of whinging from a vocal minority of car-drivers, but average speeds have come down which is much better for pedestrians from an injury/death point of view.

ThatStewie Tue 07-Jun-16 16:31:32

I would love a 20 mile zone here

lacktoastandtolerance Tue 07-Jun-16 16:33:22

If you have to drive five miles (a long distance in a town/city) at 20mph instead of 30mph it will take you five minutes longer, assuming you could even drive for five miles constantly at 30mph, which is highly unlikely anyway.

It's hardly the end of the world, is it? And it will save lives. Seems a fair trade-off.

You don't need to drive at 30mph, you're just used to it - if the limits had been 20mph to start with people wouldn't be complaining.

sleepwhenidie Tue 07-Jun-16 16:36:18

Howardsend I live on one of those roads in London and it drives me crazy ...20mph limit as in most of the borough but (mostly ups lorry drivers hmm) seem to think it's a dual carriageway, some doing up to 60mph, one actually overtaking someone on what really isn't a long road shock. I did see police talking to someone they looked like they'd pulled over the other day-no idea if it was for speeding, can only hope!

Motherwithflaws Tue 07-Jun-16 16:38:26

It's been 20 in my local area for years. I stick to the limit and on a daily basis have people driving right behind me shouting, waving, beeping. It's such fun.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 07-Jun-16 16:38:51

well if it is Dundee it's residential areas only for a start, not the entire city

Mind you with the amount of nonsense going on in town with roadworks, and new roads and the V&A you're lucky to get out of 2nd gear, never mind the heady height of 30mph

plus there is this in the local rag

tbh theyd be better actually enforcing the 40mph on the roads they already have instead of giving everyone carte blanche to drive as they please knowing it it virtually unenforceable.

MackerelOfFact Tue 07-Jun-16 16:46:03

My London borough and several neighbouring ones are 20mph throughout.

It doesn't seem to create any additional traffic, but strangely it takes a lot more concentration to drive at 20mph - you can't make a decision about a traffic light from 50 metres away, for example, because it's highly likely to have changed by the time you get there, so you have to keep looking at it. Likewise I find it much harder to drive alongside cyclists at 20mph because you can't safely overtake them, you just have to keep them in your mirrors for literally miles.

Maniacs will still happily speed though. I get tailgated a lot at 22-25mph.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now