Aibu to ask for the best places to live near Poole

(10 Posts)
strayduck Tue 07-Jun-16 14:19:34

Inspired by another thread....

For the last few years my husband and myself have talked alot about moving to Dorset, maybe Poole area. So would I be unreasonable to ask anyone from Dorset to recommend areas for living.

A bit of background about what we would be looking for:
1. We like to live on the outskirts i.e drive-able to amenities not too noisy.
2. Would need a good nursery and eventually school for DD age 2
3. We like the odd coffee shop and having a good pub nearby.
4. I guess being close ish to work for at least one of us would be handy, but we both have cars.

Actually that's it really, we have simple tastes :-)

Thank you.

Theonlywayis Tue 07-Jun-16 14:21:37

Wimborne is nice...

Theonlywayis Tue 07-Jun-16 14:22:06

Or sandbanks if you're minted 😀

strayduck Tue 07-Jun-16 14:30:42

Sandbanks....if only

Beth2511 Tue 07-Jun-16 14:41:32

Whitecliff and lilliput are lovely which are directly between sandbanks and poole centre, depending on what you are looking for you have a huge park, 15 minute walk to poole, 15 to sandbanks. It is certainly getting very pricey though, my parents live in what was a £350000 flat that they have just been offered 500000 for by developers. Its very much a knock down and rebuild area.

Failing that there are parts od branksome which are lovely, lower parkstone is too.

Im in the less nice area of branksome, hope to live in lower parkstone as its not fair from lovely parks, theres brilliant primary schools, coffee shops, nice pubs/bars.

The biggest problem with poole is the secondary schools are awful! One of the worst performing boroughs in the country but two very good grammar schools.

Little bit further out.. Wimborne is lovely, christchurch is too. Avoid boscombe/pokesdown like the plague.

I was raised in christchurch, the schools are amazing and i loved my childhood (only 23 so not long ago). Its an older population but beautiful! About 20 minutes drive from poole.

witsender Tue 07-Jun-16 14:54:53

I agree with Christchurch. We lived there up until a year or so ago (moved to the Island) and loved it.

strayduck Tue 07-Jun-16 14:57:08

Will take a look at christchurch, thanks

SisterViktorine Tue 07-Jun-16 15:01:17

Does it have to be Poole? I think West Dorset is nicer.

Maybe Dorchester? Good schools, easy trip to the beach.

Beth2511 Tue 07-Jun-16 15:05:06

West dorset is stunning, just a bit scary what they are planning to do to the hospitals, especially the maternity and a&e plans!

strayduck Tue 07-Jun-16 15:46:21

No, I don't think it has to be specifically Poole. Will take a look at Dorchester as well, thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now