Beavers sleepover concerns

(42 Posts)
Banderchang Mon 06-Jun-16 18:12:29

DS (just 7) is due to go on his first ever Beavers sleepover on Saturday night. Initially we had a letter about the annual beavers picnic, and replied to say he would attend this. Then there was a follow up email stating that there would be a sleepover following the picnic. We agreed to this too, around 10 days ago, thinking more info would follow.

Now, with only 4 days to go, there has been no further communication. No kit list, no itinerary, no parent meeting, nothing. Parents at school were discussing today and several of us are thinking of withdrawing our kids from this event as it seems so disorganized. WIBU to withdraw DS? It's his first one, so I'm not sure what level of organisation to expect, but a friend who runs cub camps was quite shocked when I told her today how little communication we'd had with the leaders about this given the time scale. I really want his first sleepover to be a good experience, and am rapidly losing confidence in this one!

LouBlue1507 Mon 06-Jun-16 18:13:40

Why don't you get in touch and ask, then suggest that they let other parents know too? x

Banderchang Mon 06-Jun-16 18:14:31

We have chased for info during half term, but no replies. Others have asked too. That's what's concerning me, really. Lack of detail this close to the event seems worrying.

MrsBobDylan Mon 06-Jun-16 18:18:10

I think all you're missing here is the kit list and drop off /pick up times and an address- if there is a fb page for the cubs your son is a member of, could it be on there?

topcat2014 Mon 06-Jun-16 18:20:24

What detail are you looking for though: surely kit list would consist of clean pants, socks, toothbrush.

Coat etc for playing outside if it rains.

Are they camping in tents, or what?

DD went on this, and probably slept in the same clothes etc.

Part of the fun of cubs etc is that it is a bit less regimented than school.

JennyOnAPlate Mon 06-Jun-16 18:24:01

You probably haven't had a response because it was half term. I wouldn't withdraw him from it if he really wants to go.

LunaLoveg00d Mon 06-Jun-16 18:32:27

A parents' meeting? Really?? For a one night Beaver sleepover? Madness.

Also assuming they are doing an indoor sleepover somewhere you can easily guess what's going to be on the list - sleeping bag, pillow, pyjamas, change of clothes, wash bag etc. All you really need to know is when to drop him off, and when to pick him up again.

LIZS Mon 06-Jun-16 18:32:38

When is their meeting this week , suspect info will follow then or you can ask. Isn't 7 the older age for Beavers? I doubt there will be anything dramatic planned, just pack an overnight bag with change of casual clothes, wash stuff and sleeping bag/pillow. Maybe a torch.

Banderchang Mon 06-Jun-16 18:33:32

Ok, useful replies, thanks all. Maybe I am too concerned. I was expecting to be sent a rough idea of what they're doing, as I don't even know if they are sleeping indoors or outdoors atm. Yes, I can guess a kit list, but it just struck me as far less organized than I was expecting in terms of communication so it's got me worried.

mustnotwait Mon 06-Jun-16 18:36:59

Tbh it doesn't sound like its organised very well. That doesn't mean your son won't enjoy it. Contact the beaver leader and ask about times etc.

Our group seems far better organised. Always remember it's run by volunteers!

temporarilyjerry Mon 06-Jun-16 18:38:31

Will he be going to a Beavers' meeting before Saturday? Maybe you'll get the details then. I don't think the kit list islikely to be too complicated for one night.

GeorgeTheThird Mon 06-Jun-16 18:39:19

You're just panicking, op. They know what's needed and they've forgotten you're not psychic! You'll get a list at some point. There'll be nothing unusual on it unless God forbid there is a theme and you'll be running around at the last minute. It'll be fine. It's only one night, you're overthinking it.

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Mon 06-Jun-16 18:41:31

In my experience
Ds2 slept in the scout hut and went to the activity the next day.
They need sleeping bag, pjs toothbrush/paste, clothes for next day warm jumper/coat if it rains, teddy bear (yes they bring them even into Cubs) and any medication given to the leader.

You can sling in a towel & soap but don't expect them to come back usedgrin

TheFallenMadonna Mon 06-Jun-16 18:47:05

You should have got a Nights Away form certainly. You need to hand in your contact details, and they need to give you a contact number. There is a kit list on the back of the Nights Away form. The leaders should have submitted all this to the District Commissioner 2 weeks b fore the sleepover. So says DH (scout leader). Never a parents' meeting though!!

TheFallenMadonna Mon 06-Jun-16 18:48:34

By "all this" I mean all names, a breakdown of activities etc. Not the forms you fill in.

BertrandRussell Mon 06-Jun-16 18:49:30

Beavers alwqys( in my experience) sleep in the Scout hut or wherever meetings are held. I don't think they ever sleep in tents.

BusStopBetty Mon 06-Jun-16 18:51:08

They'll probably have a standard kit list they'll hand out for all sleepovers. A letter will probably come home after this week's meeting.

They'll probably also need a sleeping mat, a pillow and a snack for a midnight feast. And sun cream. And a small day sack. And a water bottle. And a torch.

Snowinsummer Mon 06-Jun-16 18:54:09

Remember they are all volunteers & unpaid. Sounds to me like they could do with a few more parent helpers.

Jenijena Mon 06-Jun-16 18:59:22

Beavers can sleep in tents as long as there is an alternative nearby. It sounds disorganised, yes but it's a volunteer. Maybe they had a crap week at work. Maybe one of their other leaders had an emergency family situation. Even s kit list and timing is a pain if you're having a rough week. Hopefully something will follow after the colony meeting this week.

And seriously, don't criticise before volunteering...

TheSnowFairy Mon 06-Jun-16 19:00:22

We had a kit list, a theme AND a parents' meeting for ours.

For one night away, from 5.30pm Sat to 11am Sun!

AlmaMartyr Mon 06-Jun-16 19:01:14

I really wouldn't expect a parents meeting. There should be a Nights Away form though. Kit list should be fairly simple. I imagine they'll be sleeping in the hut if there is one. No replies might be because of half term?

topcat2014 Mon 06-Jun-16 19:08:16

When DD slept in tents, they were set up at the 'county' scout HQ, which had huts to use in the event of bad weather.

Piffpaffpoff Mon 06-Jun-16 19:11:00

We've just had a sleepover. We had a nights away form to fill in, with a kit list on the back. Our Beavers always sleep in teeny tiny 2-person tents inside a hall. Our group usually has a 'drop in' session for any first-timers with questions.we never get told what they are doing in any detail. Just contact them and ask for details, but I second the PP who said remember everyone is a volunteer so don't go in all guns blazing.

Banderchang Mon 06-Jun-16 19:18:30

Thanks everyone. I know it's run by volunteers, which is partly why I wanted to start a thread here rather than email the leader again in case that looked too critical. I volunteer with various things at school and church (though not Beavers) and know how disheartening it is to be questioned over how your event is being run.

I don't think they're short of helpers, as several parents I know have offered to help and been turned down. We have the weekly meeting tomorrow, so I guess we will be told more at that point. If not, I'm going armed with some questions, at least about whether they will sleep indoors or out! Thanks everyone for putting my concerns in perspective.

CountessOfStrathearn Mon 06-Jun-16 19:24:55

"And seriously, don't criticise before volunteering..."

I'm a Brown Owl and would find this all rather unimpressive. DS wouldn't be going on a sleepover with such little notice or planning. For a start, as others have said, there is quite a bit of paperwork to have been completed and sorted out with the District Commissioner in advance, and it suggests that other things like risk assessment will be missed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now