Another parking one...

(18 Posts)
lurkerspeaks Sun 05-Jun-16 20:25:00

I live in a block of flats. I bought a parking space when I got my flat. I don't have a car but friends use my space fairly regularly (not this weekend though).

I've just popped out and have noticed someone is in my space.

It is a stack parking system though and you need a key to bring the space back down to ground level to get the car out. WIBU to lock the car into an undriveable position.....

Part of me thinks IWBU to do that as it could just be a visitor who has made a mistake or a new tenant (but you need a key fob to get into the private car park) and it isn't really fair to do it without telling them who to approach to get the car out and I don't want an angry person at my door at some point overnight.

The spaces aren't marked but you only get a fob if own one/ rent a property with one so whoever let them in should know that it isn't their space.

People do sometimes use one anothers spaces but the convention is we put a note on the car saying who it belongs to and how to contact them.

This car has no note.

lurkerspeaks Sun 05-Jun-16 20:27:07

Stack parking... www.externalworksindex.co.uk/entry/122212/Double-Parking-Systems/Stack-parking-systems/

WorraLiberty Sun 05-Jun-16 20:27:23

Put a note on it yourself, explaining their mistake. That's assuming it is a mistake.

Allbymyselfagain Sun 05-Jun-16 20:29:14

How do you get your car out if someone parks below you? Sorry I just can't work those out!

MakeItRain Sun 05-Jun-16 20:30:06

I wouldn't lock it this time. I'd put a note on it saying this space is owned and could they not park here in future. See if that works first!

amroc18 Sun 05-Jun-16 20:30:34

I probably would just leave a note asking them not to park there in future. But would definitely move it if it happens again with the same car!

eurochick Sun 05-Jun-16 20:31:21

Do it. Leave a number they can reach you on.

lurkerspeaks Sun 05-Jun-16 20:31:57

There is a well so the car in the lower space drops down there to let the upper car drive out.

I've put a polite note on it.

MyMurphy Sun 05-Jun-16 20:34:19

Wow, didn't know these existed! intrigued as to how you get your car out from above?

lurkerspeaks Sun 05-Jun-16 20:37:05

To get a car into my space you drop the lower car into the well. Which makes my bay level with the ground.

To get the lower car out you raise the carin my bay up into the air (which is what I could do to punish the person who has parked in my space). But as it might be a genuine error I'm going to err on the side of caution.

Pooseyfrumpture Sun 05-Jun-16 20:38:18

So you've raised their car and parked underneath? I don't understand.

MyMurphy Sun 05-Jun-16 20:39:40

Ooh just been on youtube, how clever is that? Never seen it before. Question is, do you have to lower the car to put a note on it?

SauvignonBlanche Sun 05-Jun-16 20:40:24

Jack it up!

Nicnak2223 Sun 05-Jun-16 20:41:31

So can the person under you theoretically lift your Bay up to park their car.

So if they Park tonight it will be raised?

Lurkedforever1 Sun 05-Jun-16 20:44:28

I'd leave a note too on the off chance it's a new tenant that wasn't told. But then if it happens again jack it up.

Catzpyjamas Sun 05-Jun-16 20:45:17

Pooseyfrumpture, I suspect the intruder parked while lurker's space was at ground level and its not been moved. She could move it up to prevent them getting it back out if they don't have a fob.
lurkerspeaks, I think you were right to go with the polite note.

lurkerspeaks Sun 05-Jun-16 20:48:31

For those struggling it is a pit with a motor operated metal frame which makes two parking spaces. You need a key to operate the frame to flip it between the upper bay (mine) and the lower bay (which belongs to antother flat).

So if the person who owns the space below returns tonight they will lift my bay into the air with the car in situ (and I won't be involved). They usually leave it in the air as well.

We both have keys to move the bay. I have just realised I haven't seen the car that used to live below my bay for a few weeks so I actually wonder if this is a new tenant who has made a mistake.

My bay is currently accessible which is how the car drove onto it.

I have put a note on and left the car at ground level resisting the childish temptation to raise it into the air thus blocking access.

Oysterbabe Sun 05-Jun-16 20:59:56

I'd block it so you can talk to them. Someone parked in our space a few times and eventually we blocked them in and left our phone number on their car. Eventually we got a sheepish phone call and it hasn't happened since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now