To think this new contraceptive pill hates me!

(23 Posts)
sepa Sun 05-Jun-16 14:26:37

Started a new contraceptive pill since having DD - Cerelle.
Since starting it I have had 1 period after another (this one I am 12 days in) and get really angry for the smallest of reasons currently angry with OH for not answering the phone to me when I called even though he rang back 1 minute later!!
I need to be on a progesterone only pill due to a liver thing I had in pregnancy. Is anyone on one that doesn't cause these stupid side effects?
Currently trying not to get wound up with a hungry cat hmm

VioletBam Sun 05-Jun-16 14:29:40

I would come off it immediately. How old are you? I feel quite strongly that the pill is just bad news all round for most women.

PerfectlyPosed Sun 05-Jun-16 14:31:23

I was exactly the same. Went on Cerelle after having DD and it made me crazy. Tried a couple of others and they didn't agree either so now not on anything but considering a copper coil.

sepa Sun 05-Jun-16 14:31:40

I'm 28. After snapping at my mum just now for literally wanting to look at some lettuce I don't think I have a choice. The last pill I was on was perfect for me but due to this liver thing I can't go on it again

TheDuchyOfGrandFenwick Sun 05-Jun-16 14:31:50

Yanbu, be careful, the pill made me suicidal.

UnderTheF1oorboards Sun 05-Jun-16 14:32:51

YANBU. Cerelle caused me to have horrible flash visions of harming the DC. Never had anything like that before and they stopped within a couple of days of coming off it. I reported it to the yellow card website.

sepa Sun 05-Jun-16 14:34:47

Luckily (or not?) DD only ever makes me happy. It's just everyone else. I know I'm being a bitch too but can't stop it!

giraffesCantReachTheirToes Sun 05-Jun-16 14:37:23

I need to try the pill - I have brittle catamenial asthma - my flare ups get much worse just before my period.

I am more likely to land in resus at that time. So consultant, gynae and my GP have all suggested pill. I have beeen bad on all of them. The only one I don't remember having a bad reaction on was Yasmin and that was years ago. They now don't really precribe it cos of cost and increased risk of dvt but I have been given it.

Am on day 3. I feel a bit...off. And have been having headaches, but then it is really warm here so could be that. Will see how I am on it at work.

I despise hormonal contraception!

Bearbehind Sun 05-Jun-16 14:40:34

I started This thread a couple of years ago for similar reasons.

It was the work of the devil.

sepa Sun 05-Jun-16 14:43:56

Did you get on with any of the others bear?

Bearbehind Sun 05-Jun-16 14:46:58

Yes, I'm on Micronor now and it's been fine.

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Sun 05-Jun-16 14:50:01

Were you on a pill pre-DD? Can you go back to that?
I took Cerelle for 3 months having been on Cerazette pre-DS. Nurse said it was the same. It's bloody well not! The mood swings it caused were horrid.
I was going to suggest the copper coil, but see you need to be on a pill. Can you push for Cerazette?

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Sun 05-Jun-16 14:52:35

I should add that Cerazette worked beautifully for me, hence my suggestion, but Cerelle put me right off any hormone-based contraception.

sepa Sun 05-Jun-16 15:16:28

bony I was on Logynon pre DD. I had OC during pregnancy which means I can no longer go on a combined pill.
I will ask for either cerazette or micronor. I won't be taking anymore of the Cerelle. The periods I can deal with but the anger I can't. It will literally ruin my relationship if I stay on it with these mood swings

britespark1 Sun 05-Jun-16 15:53:07

I was on logynon for years but after having children but my bp was persistently high so they refused to let me have it anymore. Got given cerelle instead - awful!! Headaches, stomach aches but it was the anger and anxiety that really started to scare me ( weight gain was an issue too!) I was absolutely shocked to have all the problems I did. Came off it around 7 wks ago and I'm so glad I did.

tinyterrors Sun 05-Jun-16 16:15:15

I was like this on cerazette. I get bad pms anyway but I hated every one and every thing on cerazette, plus I had a consent period.

I've been on micronor for about three years now and while I still get pms it only lasts a few days rather than constant.

giraffesCantReachTheirToes Sun 05-Jun-16 16:23:39

I had violent impulses on mycrogynon or whatever it is called

Nicnak2223 Sun 05-Jun-16 16:52:36

I could have written the op I moved to the implant and I've had one 7day light bleed not long after getting it but nothing for the the last 6 weeks

WordsAreWind Sun 05-Jun-16 17:19:42

I hate the pill. I have bad enough PMT the week of my cycle. On the pill it's every single day i'm on it. I can't tolerate any of them.

oneplusoneequalsfour Sun 05-Jun-16 17:35:50

I had OC in my second pregnancy, probably in first as well but it went undiagnosed. I didn't have it badly but enough to be induced early. Initially I took cerazette but it made me depressed and I had loads of periods. I saw a different GP to ask to be swapped to a different pill, he asked which I'd taken pre baby and why I hadn't gone back on that, so I explained about OC and no longer being allowed it (was on a combined pill). He said it was only a recommendation and they are not sure what causes OC but that he was happy to prescribe combined pill but I needed to have a liver function test after 6 weeks and if that was clear then I could continue to take it. I've now been back on Loestrin 20 for 2 years with no problems. So worth talking to GP as they may agree to try a low oestrogen combined pill for you.

sepa Sun 05-Jun-16 17:42:09

I will ask my GP. Not sure how readily they will give it up as I take other medication that can cause liver problems so have to have regular blood tests anyway

Bonywasawarriorwayayix Sun 05-Jun-16 17:59:32

I felt the same as you Sepa . I stopped taking Cerelle in the middle of a holiday as it felt like my moods were ruining it.
Do your research and badger your GP. There must be a better pill for you.

sepa Mon 06-Jun-16 20:01:34

I didn't take it today and already feel better mood wise than I did yesterday. Not back to my normal grump free self yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now