to think that it should be permissable to park transit vans and similar sized commercial vehicles anywhere that cars can be parked?

(145 Posts)
bibbitybobbityyhat Sat 04-Jun-16 21:03:06

Given that transit vans are not much smaller than some of the 4x4 monsters that people are perfectly happy to drive down to Asda and not much else?

Yes or no answers much appreciated.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sat 04-Jun-16 21:04:17

Yes

Babysafari Sat 04-Jun-16 21:05:28

No one likes vans, unless you own a van.

SpaceKablooie Sat 04-Jun-16 21:05:30

No grin

BombadierFritz Sat 04-Jun-16 21:06:23

Are there restrictions? If it fits in the space (including length) then that should be enough (altho if everyone parked up to the line we'd all be getting out of the boot)

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Sat 04-Jun-16 21:09:53

No

quietbatperson Sat 04-Jun-16 21:10:44

Vans are fine. They do come in a spectrum but I've seen some bloody massive SUVs that look far worse.

LongChalk Sat 04-Jun-16 21:12:28

Isn't this a TAAT?

ilovesooty Sat 04-Jun-16 21:13:08

As long as they don't park outside my house and fuck off to Tenerife for two weeks. grin

Noodledoodledoo Sat 04-Jun-16 21:13:17

Not without applying the same consideration you would when parking a car. I see to many just parked where they like causing the road/junction to become dangerous due to reduced visibility.

OddBoots Sat 04-Jun-16 21:14:11

While going about their business, yes. Overnight on residential streets, not so much.

ToriaPumpkin Sat 04-Jun-16 21:15:24

As long as they fit in the same space and you use the same consideration you would when parking a car then park wherever you want.

reup Sat 04-Jun-16 21:15:39

What restrictions are there? My road is full of commercial vans - it's a pain as parking is so hard.

bibbitybobbityyhat Sat 04-Jun-16 21:16:44

What if the van owner lives on the residential street OldBoots?

paniniswapx3 Sat 04-Jun-16 21:17:17

No - extra consideration required if it's a van & should always be parked on the owners drive if possible rather than outside random properties. Too many inconsiderate van drivers around who don't seem to give a shit about whoever they might be bothering.

StiickEmUp Sat 04-Jun-16 21:17:44

Yes

ToriaPumpkin Sat 04-Jun-16 21:19:09

My last house had several van drivers living in it. Some parked on their drives, some didn't have the space due to being multi vehicle families. As long as they didn't block junctions or bends then it was fine.

ToriaPumpkin Sat 04-Jun-16 21:19:39

The street where I had my last house, not my actual last house...

Sallyingforth Sat 04-Jun-16 21:19:41

Blatant TAAT.

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Sat 04-Jun-16 21:21:23

No.

And people with those monster warrior type vehicles should park at the back of the car park, too. They make it difficult for people to get out of their own spaces, safely.

OddBoots Sat 04-Jun-16 21:21:27

I think it's like with lorries, there should be spaces for lease at commercial vehicles parks for businesses to park vans in overnight if the owner doesn't have their own off road parking that is big enough.

Noodledoodledoo Sat 04-Jun-16 21:22:18

If they live on a residential street they should minimise the impact on the rest of the streets parking, they do take up more space than a 4x4 - most of which do not exceed a large Mondeo style car in length a MWB or LWB Transit will far out reach that (used to work for Ford in Product development so do know my facts).

They should use a drive, park sensibly so it doesn't cause problems with others using their own driveways - ie 3 point turns required to get off them due to poor parking, or source somewhere to park it away from home.

WorraLiberty Sat 04-Jun-16 21:24:10

Yes

bibbitybobbityyhat Sat 04-Jun-16 21:25:44

What do you mean by "blatant TAAT" Sallying and do you expect some sort of medal?

This is about the side issue of whether vans should be allowed to be parked on residential streets. I didn't want to derail the original thread, my question is about whether vans can be parked in residential areas at all.

There are posters on the other thread which I am trying not to derail, who say yes.

I am not going to hide my pov which is that if we want plumbers, electricians, decorators, roofers, gardeners etc to service our precious residential properties, then where are they supposed to live? How are they supposed to make a living? Where are they supposed to park their vehicles?

member Sat 04-Jun-16 21:26:58

What Noodledoodle said(except I didn't work for Ford) & 4x4 have glass so are less light-blocking than a solid -sided van parking outside someone's window.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now