AIBU advising friend

(7 Posts)
FantaIsFine Sat 04-Jun-16 20:40:35

I'm convinced marital assets and debts are equally liable/splittable. She has been advised otherwise. Any advice?

RainbowsAndUnicornss Sat 04-Jun-16 20:46:34

I think 50:50 is a starting point but no, that's not how it usually ends up ime. It's based on many factors. Is childcare 50:50?

TrollsAreCunts Sat 04-Jun-16 20:46:35

It depends. How long have they been married? What country are they in? Are their children? Was there a pre-nup?

TrollsAreCunts Sat 04-Jun-16 20:46:56

*there blush

Junosmum Sat 04-Jun-16 20:49:01

Tell her to get a solicitors advice! It depends on a number of circumstances, including length of marriage, kids, whose name they are in, pre or post marriage, who paid, etc etc. It isn't as simple as each is entitled to 50% of everything.

FantaIsFine Sat 04-Jun-16 21:46:01

Apologies that was poor starting data, I didn't think. Married 10 years, 3 kids, living together rented but equity from last house currently in savings in one name, debts accrued on credit in other name unsure of exact amount but not insignificant. No prenup and no whopping assets either side other than the property equity.

dillydotty Sat 04-Jun-16 21:49:50

All of it would go into a pot, the savings minus the debts, to then be divided between them. The resident parent is likely to get the majority of the assets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now