"Dad-chelor" parties; is this a thing??

(17 Posts)
eatsleephockeyrepeat Sat 04-Jun-16 14:00:54

DPs about to ship out with the requisite jingly toy to an afternoon dad-chelor party for a friend expecting a baby with his DW. I mean, a DAD-CHELOR party... WTF? Is this a thing??

To be fair I find baby showers a bit bleugh, but this is just an excuse for a piss up, right? I don't mind that - any excuse to sit in a beer garden on a lovely day - but I do like to call a duck a duck. And this walks like one. And quacks like one. So AIBU to call this a duck? A beer laden, boozy duck?

Not sure how I'd feel if dp had done this while I was expecting either; probably jealous; I wanted beer. I don't actually have a grievance just interested if I missed some sort of memo that this was the done thing now.

Over to you!

Floggingmolly Sat 04-Jun-16 14:04:28

Never heard of this... But just because some halfwit does something ridiculous it doesn't make it a "thing", unless another load of halfwits are so entranced by it that they decide to copy.
That's certainly not unheard of.

EatShitDerek Sat 04-Jun-16 14:10:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SaucyJack Sat 04-Jun-16 14:13:24

It's just what used to be called "Wetting the baby's head", non?

Meh. I like any excuse for a piss-up meself.

Whose pregnant on here? I've got a bottle of chocolate Bailey's I've been saving for a special occasion. I'll drink it in service to your cervix.

EatShitDerek Sat 04-Jun-16 14:14:39

SaucyJack Sat 04-Jun-16 14:15:41

Your typos read like you've started already Derek.

Good work.

EatShitDerek Sat 04-Jun-16 14:16:49

TheFuckersBitingMe Sat 04-Jun-16 14:18:31

What's happened to just saying "I'm out out tonight love"?

eatsleephockeyrepeat Sat 04-Jun-16 14:19:19

Wetting the babies head is after the baby's born, no? I'm sure they'll do that too.

I think the fact this was presented to me as "I'm going to a dadchelor party, you know, obviously..." has caused my confusion. Although I think dp just didn't want to look behind-the-times in case I had a clue what he was talking about grin

ItsyBitsyBikini Sat 04-Jun-16 14:20:08

saucyjack due on Tuesday - drink the godawful baileys for me!
This is just a piss up dressed up as something fancy!

BYOSnowman Sat 04-Jun-16 14:22:08

Oh just googled. They can also be called man showers. That just sounds wrong.

It's things like this that make me think of the last days of the Romans.

eatsleephockeyrepeat Sat 04-Jun-16 14:29:26

Man showers!! Actually that sounds like something I might enjoy...

EatShitDerek Sat 04-Jun-16 14:38:16

TheFuckersBitingMe Sat 04-Jun-16 15:22:50

I want Jon Snow to man shower me please.

eatsleephockeyrepeat Sat 04-Jun-16 15:26:32

Hahaha, if the "man shower" is how the baby's made I'm not sure dp knows what he's letting himself in for going along to celebrate this; I think he thought just a couple of beers maybe confused

BYOSnowman Sat 04-Jun-16 15:54:58

Well it's certainly a way to maximise gifts

It's interesting because for women it is a baby shower - emphasis on welcoming a new baby

For men it is a dadchelor party or man shower. Emphasis on the man/dad.

BadLad Sat 04-Jun-16 17:00:36

Never heard of this.

If I ever get invited one I suppose I'll turn up with a small gift and drink more than the gift's value in booze.

Or, to put it another way, I hope they don't catch on. I suspect they won't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now