AIBU to expect my NEW CROWN to last more than 2 WEEKS?

(12 Posts)
NoonarAgain Fri 03-Jun-16 21:56:03

i had a porcelain crown on a lower molar that lasted about 8 months. Then in broke and was cemented back in. i decided to stick with the patch up job down by his colleague as an emergency treatment, as it was working well. But this then failed again after 3 months. The dentist then decide to make the crown even larger, covering the whole tooth, as he felt it would be stronger. He guaranteed his work for 5 years . it's lasted 2 weeks. It fell out today whilst eating a boost bar. i was starving and it was the first time that i've bitten something chewy since it was done.

I'm just so fed up. In 2 years i must have had 6-8 trips to the dentist over this same issue. Twice the proper crown has fallen out and then the temporary has failed at least once whilst waiting for the porcelain. Twice its coincided with travel abroad.

dentist suggested gold but agreed that its not a great look for a large crown.

if there are any dentists out there, AIBU to think my dentist doing something wrong? he has a great reputation locally but i'm starting to think he should be offering a different treatment e.g. implant of some kind.

any thoughts?

Outfoxed Fri 03-Jun-16 22:02:24

I don't know what is says about me that I clicked this hoping it would be about a spangly golden headdress...

Teresalosingtheirleaves Fri 03-Jun-16 22:05:58

Me too!! I was hoping for the queen, complaining her 90th birthday present ... A new crown/tiara wasn't living up to her high expectations!

DraenorQueen Fri 03-Jun-16 22:06:07

I had my crown done when I was 19 and I'm now 31. It's never given me a scrap of bother. YANBU!

Querty12345 Fri 03-Jun-16 22:06:58

I don't have advice as I'm very interested in relies. I'm having 2 crowns soon and don't know whether to stick with the metal as they are stronger or fork out for the white ones so They look better. But at 380 each I don't want to pay for them to just fall out!

Querty12345 Fri 03-Jun-16 22:07:16

Advice but*

Teresalosingtheirleaves Fri 03-Jun-16 22:07:17

Sorry I don't know a thing about your crown. Hope you get it fixed though. For freeeeeee!!!

cdtaylornats Fri 03-Jun-16 22:09:23

I've had a white one in for 2 years now with no problem, perhaps what you need is a better dentist.

CallarMorvern Fri 03-Jun-16 22:27:56

I have 5 crowns and a bridge, because of corrective dental work after a cowboy dentist damaged my teeth. 2 on one side are no trouble, they are white and have been there about 7yrs. One on the other side occasionally comes out, but it is just the cement weakening and it is no problem to refit. My fixed bridge attached to a crown was a problem for years, sore and would come adrift. I changed dentist due to relocation, she said the bridge was a bad fit, but would do her best with it, it has been no trouble since. The dentist who originally fitted was an expert who was brought in to sort out the mess left behind by the previous cowboy dentist. I have a very low opinion of dentists.

NoonarAgain Fri 03-Jun-16 22:44:53

You guys really cheered me up, but am v sorry to disappoint- rOFL outed and Teresa!
Maybe I should ask for a diamond encrusted replacement.
Also pissed off that the emergency phone number is not being answered and still no call back despite 2 messages left at lunch time.
I'm going to insist on something different cement wise.
Trouble with finding a new dentist is that I have £400+ worth of work under guarantee and don't want to pay twice...

BananaInPyjama Sat 04-Jun-16 03:34:55

my crown with a 5 year guarantee has been going strong for 11 years, and the one with 10 year guarantee for about 8 years - no trouble with either.

For the second one the dentist told me that the better material they use now means the crown will definitely last longer.

(this is Australia though and my crowns cost about 750 quid each...so 400 sounds like a bargain!)

frazmum Sat 04-Jun-16 08:42:59

Mine has fallen off I think 4 times. The last lot of glue has finally held. Dentist thinks my teeth grinding hasn't helped so I have a night mouth guard. Got to the point I'd just walk into her surgery & she could tell by the look on my face. Good luck, persevere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now