House next door is a sodding Holiday Let!

(41 Posts)
RedBlu Fri 03-Jun-16 19:44:47

I will start by saying I do suffer with anxiety after living next to some absolute horrendous anti social neighbours a few years ago so this makes me very panicky about neighbours.....

The house next door to us has been empty a few months, before that it was rented out to people known to the owner, but no one seemed to live there full time, they would go "home" at weekends and seemed to use it as a base more than a place to live.

Anyway, they didn't cause any problems as they were rarely there but as I said, no one has been there recently.

I have come home today and discovered that the house is being used as a holiday let. I had suspicions that it was being advertised as such, but have now found the advertisements/pictures - and there are people currently there "on holiday".

I am very very on edge!

In my head I am picturing people making tons of noise, mess, blocking our driveway........ And not giving a shit because "they are on holiday".

I have found the booking availability and there isn't much booked (it's somewhat pricey I think) but I am feeling tense.

I know there is nothing I can do about it but AIBU to think the owners of the house should have mentioned something to the neighbours? It's a semi detached (not joined to us) on an estate!

I know I need to chill but the crap I went through with anti social neighbours makes me somewhat paranoid!

FloweryTwat Fri 03-Jun-16 19:47:30

I guess it depends on the market they are going for (if it says no single sex groups for example) but generally it will be a good thing I would think. Owners will keep it clean and tidy, people won't be there for long and will be out much of the day.

ABCAlwaysBeCunting Fri 03-Jun-16 19:49:12

In the nicest possible way, you're over-reacting. The owners don't have any obligation to tell the neighbours it's a holiday let.

On the bright side, if a few visitors do turn out to be awful, they'll only be there for a week or two, and you can complain to the owner.

YaySirNaySir Fri 03-Jun-16 19:51:13

Sounds a bit strange for a holiday let- on an estate. Not sure many people have that in mind more country barn or seaside cottage. Anyway a lot of people go on holiday to chill and if nuisances will be gone after a few days. You said they didn't cause any problems so why let it bother you?

londonrach Fri 03-Jun-16 19:52:26

www.gov.uk/introduction-to-business-rates/self-catering-and-holiday-let-accommodation

If you get bad people at least they only be there for a couple of days.

RedBlu Fri 03-Jun-16 19:55:25

thanks all. I know I am being ridiculous but I tend to focus on "worst case scenario".

We live near a "holiday destination", so I guess that is what they are trying to attract.

I need to chill out.

MsBlandingsBuildsHerDreamHouse Fri 03-Jun-16 19:57:00

I lived next door to a holiday house for years, with another two in my row of cottages.

It was honestly brilliant - there were long periods when it was empty and even when it was being used there were never any problems. In fact the worse thing was sometimes people wanted to be very friendly and have long conversations when I'd be trying to bring my shopping in from the car, or I'd just got home from work.

Honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to live next to a holiday let again.

It'll be fine. It's a semi but doesn't sound like you are the attached house, are you?

Even if you are, it will still be fine.

EveryoneElsie Fri 03-Jun-16 20:01:02

I know where you;re coming form, but think about it; most people are ok. Most people dont drive their neighbours round the twist. So most of the people who let will be like that.
If you do get a bad set they wont be there for long, and then you can complain to the LL and they wont be back.

MadameDePomPom Fri 03-Jun-16 20:05:02

I once lived next door to a holiday let and it was marvellous. Just lots of nice normal people there for a few days holiday. No major noise issues and lots of periods when it was empty.

IceMaiden73 Fri 03-Jun-16 20:07:12

Is it like Air bnb?

If i was your neighbour I wouldn't have mentioned it unless I happened ot be talking to you

MrsJoeyMaynard Fri 03-Jun-16 20:07:35

Do they share a driveway with you?

PILs used to live next door to a B&B - not attached to their house, but they had a shared driveway, and that did cause them some problems with parking. No other problems. They also live next door to a different holiday let now (not a shared driveway) and haven't had any trouble with that.

PearSoup Fri 03-Jun-16 20:07:44

We are attached to a holiday let and I was very anxious about it when we initially moved in. I was concerned about late, loud parties but in reality we have had very little disturbance. I can sometimes hear people arriving or vaguely hear laughter of an evening but actually much less than with permanent tenants. It is often empty during the week and out of season.

I guess it depends on the area. We are by the beach so attract families and couples rather than raucous stag or hen groups!

hesterton Fri 03-Jun-16 20:13:45

Worse case scenario would be for your new neighbours to be absolutely horrid and live there for years without ever going on holiday.

This was you get noone for very long.

It'll be fine.

summerainbow Fri 03-Jun-16 20:14:38

I think it as long it it not too big house ( house party's ) it not too bad I live next to one growing up too. Lots of different people . Yes the garden was used but this england and it it not hot a lot.

MilkRunningOutAgain Fri 03-Jun-16 20:16:31

We've been going to the same holiday let for a week every summer for many years. We've made friends with the couple next door and are usually invited round for a bbq ( & we reciprocate ) at least once a holiday!

HPFA Fri 03-Jun-16 20:19:23

I am utterly paranoid about noisy neighbours (although our current neighbours are great) but I'd feel quite relaxed about living next to a holiday home. It will probably be empty half the year and if you are unlucky with one group you at least know it won't last for long.

MadamDeathstare Fri 03-Jun-16 20:21:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Artandco Fri 03-Jun-16 20:22:24

I don't even know my neighbours and they have been the Same ones for at least 8 years!

Costacoffeeplease Fri 03-Jun-16 20:23:29

We have been surrounded by holiday lets for years, I live in the Algarve so most villas are rented out

We have long void periods in the winter, then through the summer it's changeovers every week or two. Some people can be noisy and annoying, but then they go

Two of our neighbours are now living in their houses and I'm not sure which I prefer tbh

yongnian Fri 03-Jun-16 20:31:17

I have neighbours from hell (so I totally get how that affects you) and they actually own the other next door which is a holiday let.
To be honest, I'd far rather hear the holiday people (and in reality don't hear them that much) than our actual neighbours. On the occasion they've been a little loud, we've politely asked if they could keep it down and in 5 years never had much bother.
In the early days I hated the idea - but frankly, everyone goes home after a bit and you never see them again! They also tend to be jolly cos they're on hols and out a lot visiting places.
It's really fine, and I very much value my privacy.
I actually feel a bit sorry for them as it's advertised as being a tranquil retreat in the middle of nowhere and nothing in the adverts shows that there is a house right next door which overlooks them. I'd be gutted if I was them.
I can understand why you feel anxious when you've had neighbour problems before, but you may find this is really not as bad as your worst case scenario.

NorbertDentressangle Fri 03-Jun-16 20:33:15

I wouldn't worry about it.

A house on an estate "near a holiday destination" is unlikely to attract raucous groups of clubbing young people who roll in from the clubs at 4am (they'll be in UK city centre flats near the trendy areas or in Magaluf or Ibiza).

As others have said too, the worst case scenario is you have one lot who might be louder than average but you know they'll only be there for a very limited time before you never have to see them again so you won't feel that constant dread.

Vickster99 Fri 03-Jun-16 20:34:08

YABU. Just chill out. I presume you probably live in a city if the last people "went home at weekends" - meaning they were working there. If its airbnb or similar then some renters will probably be on business. Others on a citybreak are most likely going to be out all the time. Nothing to worry about and if you do get the odd person who is horrid its shortlived & you can call the police.

purplefox Fri 03-Jun-16 20:34:39

If its pricey and in the middle of a housing estate I'd imagine there'd be less likely to be large groups having parties and causing problems compared to a cheap city centre holiday apartment.

Hassled Fri 03-Jun-16 20:34:57

Even if you do get a week of bastard noisy holidayers from hell, at least you know they'll be gone soon. It could be a permanent bastard noisy bunch of neighbours who will never leave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now