to want to walk away from this job?

(24 Posts)
AuntieMeemz Fri 03-Jun-16 14:43:48

I'm nearing the end of my probation in a nursery as office assistant. Since I've been there, I've had very little help from the leader, but a lot of criticism for not being fast enough. At least half my time (I work part time) is spent changing nappies etc, which I don't mind, but having to spend so much of my time doing it means I don't get much office work done. The boss is always complaining that I don't get enough done (even though she is the one constantly telling me the children must come first, so I need to change nappies, assist with meals, sweep the floor etc). When I am in the office, the phone goes absolutely non stop, and I have to spend at least an hour letting parents in and out. There is no doubt the children definitely get the very best care, with dedicated staff, but I'm made to feel totally useless because I can't get the work done. I have very little time to do each office task, and no time to think about what needs to be done, and no time to properly learn all the details of the various databases used. Help!!
I've been told I can't do any overtime, but I could go in (unpaid) at the weekends to catch up!

araiba Fri 03-Jun-16 14:47:20

stay in the office and do your work, stay away from areas where the kids are so you dont get roped in

or say to the boss, do you want me to do admin or feeding, tidying etc as both cant be done on part time hours

or tell them to shove it

Leigh1980 Sat 04-Jun-16 11:23:45

Have a meeting with your boss and communicate. Why not draw up a working schedule according to how much time you need to do your job and ask for uninterrupted time but that you also value teamwork and would like to assist so you will be available for them.

For example to do your job effectively, you need to focus on it between 10-12 then from 12-1 you can offer assistance, then after lunch you need to focus on your work until 3 but then you're available after 3 to assist etc. a They might appreciate your pro activity for doing this and it will show them flexibility and a willingness to help.

Remember resentment can also come in to it as the staff on the floor are probably running around whilst they see you sitting. I know this was a huge problem for me when I was in management and staff used to complain about other staff members and that it wasn't fair etc.

britbat23 Sun 05-Jun-16 01:21:54

However competent you may be, I can't image either Ofsted nor the parents would be delighted to discover that their children's nappies are being changed by the office staff.

venusinscorpio Sun 05-Jun-16 01:33:56

I don't blame you OP. An office job is not a childcare role. The "staff on the floor" will have to get over themselves, office work is totally different and the OP is being exploited here.

purplefox Sun 05-Jun-16 01:34:35

Were the childcare tasks in your job description?

beetroot2 Sun 05-Jun-16 01:36:27

Stay there and look for another job, once you have one tell them to get stuffed in the nicest possible way of course.

lavenderhoney Sun 05-Jun-16 02:08:23

Why would you even contemplate unpaid o/t? In a word, don't. It's not your company and sounds like you won't get rewarded at all, just moaned at.

They are taking the piss, either its an admin role or or a nursery assistant role. And when you were asked to change nappies the first time you should have said " er, no, I'm here for the admin. But I'll pass on your concerns to Boss as you're clearly understaffed"

at probation just listen, and if they say no smile and say what an interesting experience it's been. You should get your cv out there anyway and start on linked in etc. You might make a lucky escape. Probation is a two way deal. Many employers forget that.

MrHannahSnell Sun 05-Jun-16 02:20:26

Leave. If you have something to go to, that's good but if I were you I think I'd just walk.

GettingScaredNow Sun 05-Jun-16 03:35:49

Not sure if this is relevant but do you have childcare/nursery staff training?

I know a fair few mums who would be absolutely outraged if their child/ren were being changed by the office staff. They would be claiming you haven't had the training, aren't qualified (in a purely certificate based way) and would be accusing the nursery of misconduct and not safeguarding the children.
I may sound dramatic but I can see at least one mum I know reacting exactly like that!!

Just say that you need to stay in the office to get your work complete and if they need more floor staff then maybe they should consider hiring? You could say it like 'if you need another nursery helper I could easily put up a vacancy on job centre?' (Or wherever)

AlMinzerAndHisPyramidOfDogs Sun 05-Jun-16 03:53:08

make a formal complaint to whichever regulatory body is in charge of all this. drop the management in it.
also - look for another job and then leave.

enterYourPassword Sun 05-Jun-16 03:53:45

beetroot2
Stay there and look for another job, once you have one tell them to get stuffed in the nicest possible way of course.

This!

And the absolutely nicest possible terms. Burning your bridges, whilst satisfying, is immature and helps no one.

Rebecca2014 Sun 05-Jun-16 06:12:54

You are an office assistant, you shouldn't be caring for the children! Crazy they snap at you for not being able complete the office work, pssh.

Frazzled2207 Sun 05-Jun-16 07:18:52

Unless it's specifically in your job description you shouldn't be doing any childcare stuff.
Don't do any extra unpaid hours!
Try and have a frank conversation with the boss and/or look for another job. Sounds shit.

insancerre Sun 05-Jun-16 07:21:52

You shouldn't be changing nappies!
Is the nursery short staffed and is the leader in the ratios?
I manage a nursery and while I have on occasions used my admin to cover staff lunches, no way would I expect them to change nappies

How long has your probation been and do you have monthly meetings in which you can discuss any issues that are stopping you from meeting your deadlines?
In my nursery the nappy changes are done by the child's key person every time, or the secondary key person if the key person is not in. Its an important part of their role.
If you are generally happy with the role, I would just raise your concerns and explkain that you need to concentrate on the admin side

I can't believe they have said you can work unpaid order me at the weekend. Even I don't do that!

TiredOfSleep Sun 05-Jun-16 07:48:59

You've had several threads about this I believe. It's just not working out. I'd stay but search for something else.

IamtheDevilsAvocado Sun 05-Jun-16 08:04:59

Life is too short to do these ridiculous jobs...
I've had a couple of jobs like this... Not obvs the same.... Unless you have a boss on side, you're being set up to fail.

CombineBananaFister Sun 05-Jun-16 08:24:46

I'd start to look elsewhere and in the meantime ask for a meeting to discuss your job role/responsibilities to be put in writing. Go in with a list of tasks you think you should be doing and the time you think it should take to do them. If you do this from your start time to finish time, you will be able to see if its a time management issue or unreasonable expectations from your boss. If they are still not happ eve though its in black and white, ask them to do the same and see if it can be worked out but suspect it won't, sounds like they want it both ways of having you as additional nursery nurse then doing your actual job unpaid - ridiculous!

pluck Sun 05-Jun-16 09:35:03

This is a very false economy, as it will become clear when money doesn't come in when bills aren't chased, or when the nursery gets a crap Ofsted mark because paperwork hasn't been done. However, you'd better leave before those things are blamed on you (rather than on puss-poor management, as of course they should be). Sorry. sad

venusinscorpio Sun 05-Jun-16 09:58:15

I agree the OP is being set up to fail. Obviously this person is her line manager, but I wonder if they are ultimately not the owner or manager of the business. It seems shortsighted to take on an administrative assistant and then not give them any support or even let them do any admin!

pilates Sun 05-Jun-16 09:58:45

What does the work description say in your paperwork?

Arrange a meeting with the Manager and explain you are finding it hard to complete your office tasks whilst changing nappies, etc.

If you find they are not willing to help you and come across hostility, then look for another job.

Kenduskeag Sun 05-Jun-16 10:01:50

Is it even legal that the office staff are changing nappies and preparing meals? Do you hold the relevant DBS checks and hygiene certificates for that?

insancerre Sun 05-Jun-16 10:05:41

Yes, its legal
All staff will need a dbs regardless of their role
Op doesn't say she is preparing meals, just assisting and no you don't need hygiene certificates to he!p children at mealtimes

Leigh1980 Sun 05-Jun-16 11:06:56

I actually had something similar like this myself. It was a completely different industry but I was completely set up to fail and I said umm when I spoke to my boss as he made me nervous and he sacked me because he said to me it irritated him when I said umm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now