smart car!

(9 Posts)
Tryingtostayyoung Fri 03-Jun-16 07:52:02

Sorry I know this isn't an AIBU but need quick advise...

So I know that if you put a child in the front seat of a car you do forward facing and disable the airbag. Smart car has no function that I can see where you disable the airbag, what do people do? It's not something that I normally do but my car has died unfortunately and whilst trying to sort a new one my DM has offered to let me use her car when DH is at work with our other but is a smart car. Help pleeeease!!

enterYourPassword Fri 03-Jun-16 07:59:12

If the car has it, open the passenger door and look at the side of the glove compartment, it should require the ignition key to en/dis able it.

If you can't I wouldn't.

i1.adis.ws/i/washford/155393?$pd_main_v2$

enterYourPassword Fri 03-Jun-16 08:00:12

ps. it's an optional extra. If it wasn't specced then you'll need your wire clippers and various hex keys to get at it.

AliBingo Fri 03-Jun-16 10:14:34

I thought it was rear facing and disable the airbag but seat back as far as poss and airbag on for ff.

Smart used to do a car seat which would automatically disable the airbag but I think it needed a special mount which you could get fitted but was expensive.

dannydyerismydad Fri 03-Jun-16 10:21:10

A friend had an airbag disable switch retro-fitted by the main dealer. Kept her DD rear facing until nearly 5.

Tryingtostayyoung Fri 03-Jun-16 13:42:29

I'm so confused, i thought it was fine rondo forward facing with the passenger airbag disabled, should it be rear??

I've tried having a look for his special smart car seat which I've heard about which disables the airbag but can't seem to find it anywhere

tinyterrors Fri 03-Jun-16 15:28:54

I thought it was rear facing that need the airbag disabling and if it's forward facing you leave the airbag on and push the car seat as far back as possible.

wheresthel1ght Fri 03-Jun-16 15:49:12

Tiny terrors is right - rear facing you need to turn the air bag off but forward facing you can leave it on but set the seat to the furthest back it will go

dannydyerismydad Sat 04-Jun-16 09:27:12

Here you go OP. You can order directly from your local dealer http://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/smart/brochures/smart-genuine-accessories.pdf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now