to wonder where to get help, advice

(9 Posts)
winkywinkola Wed 01-Jun-16 15:00:35

and some focus on direction when I feel so utterly lost and underconfident in terms of work? It's depressing and I feel like a proper failure.

I sound like a child. I'm 45 this summer. I had 9 years as a sahm. Started freelancing two years ago. It was great to be working again but I didn't relish the actual work per se.

I really really want to start again. Am I too old? I seem unable to pin down what it is I want. I reckon I have at least 20 working years left and I want to do something I love.

Is that too much to ask? Where the hell do I start? Is there an organisation or company I can enlist to help?

EarthboundMisfit Wed 01-Jun-16 15:22:22

Oh gosh, following this with great interest, as I feel exactly the same.

formerbabe Wed 01-Jun-16 15:23:18

Ditto!

Haggisfish Wed 01-Jun-16 15:23:29

You could try a life coach?

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Wed 01-Jun-16 16:43:32

Few people are lucky enough to get paid to do what they love, but it is certainly achievable to find a job that you enjoy and love sometimes (iyswim)

What do you currently do and what is your dream job? What are your qualifications?

Is it realistic that you will get paid to do what you love? If not, what's the next best thing? Perhaps a similar role, or could you look into volunteering in a role you love in addition to working?

winkywinkola Wed 01-Jun-16 22:24:15

I feel like I have zero skills. I'm sure I don't have zero but it feels like it!

I'm ashamed to have got to this age and still not flourishing in a career.

A life coach could be an idea but I've heard they are expensive and fluffy.

There must be a lot of women who feel the same.

winkywinkola Wed 01-Jun-16 22:24:41

I feel like I have zero skills. I'm sure I don't have zero but it feels like it!

I'm ashamed to have got to this age and still not flourishing in a career.

A life coach could be an idea but I've heard they are expensive and fluffy.

There must be a lot of women who feel the same.

AgentProvocateur Wed 01-Jun-16 22:28:04

I'm the same. I have fallen into a well-paid job that bores me to tears. I have no idea what I want to do "when I grow up". And I'm even older than you!

winkywinkola Wed 01-Jun-16 22:31:27

Do you not enjoy the good pay though? Does that not make it worthwhile? Earlier retirement possibly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now