Sporadic contact?

(3 Posts)
sockrage Wed 01-Jun-16 04:02:27

Split with dc father a decade ago.
Initially met half way.
He got over our divorce, made new friends and eventually new partners which in term caused the visits to go less and less.
Currently the children have not seen him in person in about the last four years. For a year and a half of that he made arrangements and excuses. Then he stopped making arrangements.

Despite many free ways he can contact them (same phone network/skype/facebook) he never calls.

Fb messages are once to three times a year.
Sometimes he remembers to post happy birthday or Christmas on FB. Sometimes he doesn't.
Usually a message will pop up after months and months demanding info on what we are up to and info needs to be NOW. I.e if they don't reply immediately (given he messages so regularly) he messages again very shortly afterwards a bit snotty. This upsets them.

The kids don't even remember him and don't mention him at all in-between.

Kids are young teen age.

Do I keep flogging this dead relationship just for the sake of keeping open lines of communication for the future or ignore him.

Querty12345 Wed 01-Jun-16 08:06:53

Hello

My parents split up when I was 10 and my dad didn't make an awful lot of effort similarly to what you are describing. However my mum always pushed us to try and stay n contact with our dad as much as possible. When we got to 18 she left it to us to decide. As long as you try your best to make it work while they are children, you can't be blamed for anything. And the children will see that when they are older. Good luck op, it must be hard without a break sometimes. Is it too early for wine?!

Querty12345 Wed 01-Jun-16 08:07:15

Stay in*

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now