To tell you all

(24 Posts)
TerriHatchet Tue 31-May-16 15:57:43

I did it! Had to post this in aibu because all of you lovely ladies who posted on other posts gave me the strength and courage to finally go and see my GP about my depression. Reading all your stories about going to your GPs and getting help with your pnd made me take the plunge this morning and I have been prescribed antidepressants which I have started today. I have also been offered counselling for my horrendous ocd.
I already feel better just knowing this is the start of my recovery. Just even saying that feels fantastic! I know it will be a long road with tears, some happy some sad, but I am so happy and relieved that I have finally
asked an accepted help. Thank you to everyone who encouraged me To seek the help me and my family deserve!

Wolfiefan Tue 31-May-16 15:59:06

Yay!
You deserve to be happy and you have started the road to becoming that. You should be so proud of you.
Good luck!
flowers

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 31-May-16 15:59:32

Ah, cool.

I live with depression and anxiety/OCD. I've been on a large array of meds.

PM me if you need advice.

brew

OhNoNotMyBaby Tue 31-May-16 16:03:25

Go you! You're on the right road now. Each day will be better than the previous one. Well done flowers

TerriHatchet Tue 31-May-16 16:04:39

I have only been given one type of AD, fluoxine....? Or something. Yeah I have what I would describe as anxiety with pnd and ocd. I'm a nervous wreck most days.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 31-May-16 16:13:58

Ooo, I take Fluoxitine. It's actually really helped me.

It will take a few weeks to work, so sit tight.

WhatALoadOfWankers Tue 31-May-16 16:15:55

So pleased for you . It takes a lot of courage

TerriHatchet Tue 31-May-16 16:16:09

King what happened when it first started working.. Did it just start feeling like things weren't as bad after a few weeks, I can't imagine right now how it will feel.

Wolfiefan Tue 31-May-16 16:19:09

Do hang tight and don't expect instant relief. Really hoping the pills and counselling will help you like they have me.
So proud of you!

TerriHatchet Tue 31-May-16 16:21:15

Wolfiefan I take it you had success with this type of medication?

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 31-May-16 16:22:49

Expect to feel:
Tired. Proper tired.
Numb.
Kind of resigned.

But you will feel better.

You need to do other stuff. Look after yourself - by personal hygiene goes out of the window when I'm depressed. Go for walks, even just round the block. Eat well. Watch nice uplifting movies or some comedy. Maybe take up a hobby, something mellow like cross stitch or baking. Have early nights and prioritise rest.

Look after yourself. You are ill. You have an illness.

TerriHatchet Tue 31-May-16 16:28:13

King the one thing I have managed to do every day without fail since my dd was born is shower. I always promised myself
No matter how bad things got I would never let my hygiene become poor. It's the one thing I always make myself do. If I am feeling down, not freshening up makes me feel worse.
I'm dreading feeling tired though, is that a symptom everyone gets?

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 31-May-16 16:37:36

It doesn't last. And when you're depressed you're savagely tired anyway.

Probably your body's way of telling you to slow down.

Just plan easy meals, low key activities, get shopping delivered, etc.

Are you on Pintrest? Pintrest is a mellow way to spend time. Also lots of lifestyle tips on there. Including living with depression.

TerriHatchet Tue 31-May-16 16:41:23

Do you remember when you first suddenly thought that you hadn't felt down?

JuxtapositionRecords Tue 31-May-16 16:41:46

Great news op! kingjoff gives good advice - the tablets will help but you need to do other stuff too. Did they put you through for CBT? Make sure you keep regular appointments with your Dr, even when you start to feel better.

It will all pass and in time you will be the one back here giving another woman who has PND advice and encouragement, because you will be able to say you got through the other side flowers

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 31-May-16 16:44:40

No, it creeps up on you. I honestly can't give you a tine scale.

Seriously, just chill out as much as you can for a few weeks and then reassess your feelings.

Not going to tell someone with anxiety not to overthink stuff because it's not possible. Try to distract yourself.

Maybe ask in the TV section if anyone can recommend a really gripping series you can get into?

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 31-May-16 16:45:48

I also take Propanolol for anxiety. I think it's fantastic. Maybe worth asking about.

TerriHatchet Tue 31-May-16 19:40:47

If make sense lol

TerriHatchet Tue 31-May-16 19:45:42

Juxta my partner just literally said that, that one day I will be giving the advice on here to other woman, he said even today somebody might read this thread and phone their Drs tomorrow for help, after hearing about my positive experience today. So that feels good

Lovemysofa Tue 31-May-16 19:58:32

Just wanted to add my congrats-well done-that is a major step forward.
With me, I found the first 2 weeks hideous- I was panicky and really low BUT because I had been warned to expect it, I just kept telling myself that it would pass soon, and then it really did start to get better- as a pp said, it was gradual but I suddenly realised that this was what normal felt like and i then couldn't believe I had put up with feeling so awful for so long. And then when i started therapy, which took months for my appointment to come through, I had so many revelations and it gave me the strength to do things I wouldn't have done otherwise, and i still carry it with me 2 1/2 years later. I can credit my therapist with changing, perhaps even saving, my life, even if I never get the chance to tell him.
Good luck with it all, I really wish you well.

allowlsthinkalot Tue 31-May-16 20:29:16

I take an antidepressant in the same class as fluorine OP and I haven't felt tired so you may not feel like that. I didn't feel numb either. They did lift my mood.

TerriHatchet Tue 31-May-16 22:11:48

Lovemy, that's what I always wondered, it must be weird looking back and thinking I can't believe I put up with feeling that way for so long!

dodobookends Tue 31-May-16 22:18:00

Well done flowers be proud of your achievement smile

Lovemysofa Wed 01-Jun-16 20:53:16

Sorry, only just had chance to go online. How are you feeling today? On the crappy days focus on one foot in front of the other and look up into the sun (metaphorically or literally)- you're on the way now. It's not been plain sailing, but when I was really bad, I took myself off to sleep at every opportunity because I thought I have real issues with exhaustion. I didn't realise it was my depression until my therapist told me. Now I fall asleep on the sofa when knackered but I don't check out of life like I used to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now