As a middle aged mother of 6, I've never been to A&E, dont know if I should go today?

(87 Posts)
PeppasNanna Tue 31-May-16 10:08:29

More of a WWYD then AIBU, Sorry!
I think I've broken my finger. I hit it off a door frame last night. Instantly I had a searing pain in my hand.

Went to bed got up this morning to a swollen, blue & very sore finger.
Is it worth going to A&E?
I've strapped my fingers. Taken nurofen. Its still very painful.

What else should i do?

Typically crap timing. Half term & going to a wedding in a few days. Million things to do rather then sit in A&E!

CMOTDibbler Tue 31-May-16 10:11:10

Is there a minor injuries unit near you? Usually much shorter queues than in A&E, but if its broken it does need strapping properly so it mends straight

reallybadidea Tue 31-May-16 10:12:21

I would go to A&E. Just occasionally they need treatment other than strapping up. If nothing else then you can ask for stronger painkillers!

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Tue 31-May-16 10:12:31

Do you have a nhs walk in center/ minor ailments place near you?

PeppasNanna Tue 31-May-16 10:13:22

Nope no minor injuries or walk in centre locally.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Tue 31-May-16 10:15:29

In that case I would probably go to A&E. If you go this morning it will probably be pretty quiet.

imip Tue 31-May-16 10:15:31

I did this last holidays (mum to only 4!). As I was cleaning the oven, I bit of oven cleaner flicked into eye! Worth going to checked out! Could you ring your gp and ask for advice??

Shirkingfromhome Tue 31-May-16 10:15:40

Is there a triage number you can call attached to your a&e department? They might be able to advise if you should go in or not.

SoupDragon Tue 31-May-16 10:16:25

I would probably go, yes.

Whitelisbon Tue 31-May-16 10:17:15

Yep, go get it seen to.
I broke my finger last year (slammed it in a gate at ikea hmm) and didn't bother seeing anyone at the time. It now has a funny bend in a place it really shouldn't, and I don't have much movement in it.

lljkk Tue 31-May-16 10:25:28

Can you move the finger normally?

PeppasNanna Tue 31-May-16 10:25:38

I cant go anywhere til this afternoon as all the dc are at home so will need to organise childcare.

A queuing system on both the GP and local A&E phone systems.

I will try & ignore it as much as possible. I will go this afternoon if its no better. Ive already cancelled our plans for today.sad

Feeling rather guilty & bit stupid!

PeppasNanna Tue 31-May-16 10:26:44

I cant bend it. Im feeling increasingly sick as well

elvislives2012 Tue 31-May-16 10:29:18

Sounds like an A&E jobby

RomComPhooey Tue 31-May-16 10:33:15

If you turn up with 6 kids in tow this morning, I suppose its possible you might get seen quicker, if only to free up some chairs in the waiting room. Call it an anthropological field trip.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Tue 31-May-16 10:34:03

go to a minor injuries unit , you will likely get seen faster too

blankmind Tue 31-May-16 10:40:06

Can you rig a sling out of a bit of fabric until you're seen by medics, or just hold it at opposite shoulder level whenever possible, keeping it elevated can stop the throbbing pain which can reduce the sickness feelings too.

vjg13 Tue 31-May-16 10:43:38

Definitely go to A&E, if you wait for a GP appointment they will probably send you for X Ray and they may then send you on to A&E if there is a break. I found Naproxen (prescription) when I broke a bone in my foot.

vjg13 Tue 31-May-16 10:44:57

Sorry, meant to say found Naproxen a good pain killer..

PeppasNanna Tue 31-May-16 10:45:07

Thank you all for replying!
I feel like a real plonker! blush

PeppasNanna Tue 31-May-16 10:46:35

Do you all reckon they will just strap my hand up? They wont put it in plaster... Will they? confused

LobsterQuadrille Tue 31-May-16 10:46:59

Don't feel like a plonker - they will have experienced far worse - but definitely go and get it checked. This time of day isn't usually busy.

LobsterQuadrille Tue 31-May-16 10:48:04

Unlikely to be plaster but they will x-ray and put in one of those straps on a bandage things - depends what the break (if a break) is like. Good luck.

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 31-May-16 10:48:33

Yes! You've got broken fingers! shock

EveryoneElsie Tue 31-May-16 10:48:46

When you go, go prepared for a wait. Take a book, kindle, drink, snacks and money, including change for the machines.
Besides, Sods Law dictates if you go in weighed down with enough stuff to sit out a siege, you'll be seen straight away grin flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now