To be really freaking out about possibility of being pregnant despite having mirena coil?

(12 Posts)
MerchantofVenice Tue 31-May-16 08:52:19

Is this totally irrational? I've had the coil for 3 months - no probs. I think I was busy being smug about how convenient it is - after the initial little bits of bleeding, I've had no periods at all. Went for my 6 week check; all fine.

For nearly a week, though, I've had quite sore boobs. This is freaking me out. Anyone else had this with the mirena? I've taken three preg tests - all negative. But now I'm wondering if the hormones from the coil somehow 'trick' the test?? Anyone know about this?

Having no periods is awesome. Wondering if you're pregnant all the time is not. I have two small children and am NOT ready for another!

lostinabook Tue 31-May-16 08:55:26

I have this! I sometimes get phantom periods on it as well (pmt, back ache, need for choc)

Ebb Tue 31-May-16 08:57:28

I had the mirena for 3 years and ended up taking several pregnancy tests as I regularly got pregnancy symptoms. The hormones didn't agree with me for other reasons and I swapped the mirena for the copper coil. I quite like having a period every month for the reassurance of not being pregnant. grin

LegoClone Tue 31-May-16 09:03:17

Pregnancy boobs is a side effect of Mirena. The hormone won't affect pregnancy tests so if they say negative then you're not pregnant.

I'm nearly a year on from having Mirena fitted and I'm still getting periods plus I have pregnancy boobs and neck spots, so I'm most envious!

MerchantofVenice Tue 31-May-16 09:32:11

Thank you ladies! I really, really appreciate the feedback. Xx

maggiethemagpie Tue 31-May-16 10:16:00

I went for a sterilisation recently and when they checked my mirena it had fallen into my CERVIX and got stuck there and now needs to be surgically removed.

I was told that it wouldn't have been doing its job properly and i could have got pregnant. I had stopped having light periods, which they said was an indication the hormones weren't working properly.

If you're having no periods you're probably ok

Runningupthathill82 Tue 31-May-16 10:24:46

Mine moved too, Maggie. I went to get it removed when we decided to try for a second baby , only to be told by the GP she couldn't find it as it had "migrated".

When I went for a scan so they could find out where it had ended up, the sonographer said he sees quite a lot of Mirenas that have moved, and they often turn up in the bowel (?!?)

Luckily mine hadn't migrated that far, but apparently during the time it had moved it may not have been doing its job.

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Tue 31-May-16 10:27:35

Don't you guys check the strings each month?

Runningupthathill82 Tue 31-May-16 10:58:03

In my case, I couldn't, as after I had the mirena fitted I had to go back to the GP to have the strings trimmed. They were "poking" DH and making sex impossible.
They were then trimmed so short that I couldn't feel them.

MerchantofVenice Tue 31-May-16 11:18:37

Oh dear - didn't realise they could migrate... bit worrying.

I've never checked the strings. I know it's pathetic, but I'm really squeamish about ferreting around up there. I did try to steel myself to do it the other day, but couldn't feel anything - but not really sure if I 'went far enough'. Freaks me out.

But if we're agreed that preg tests are still reliable with coil in, then I should be in the clear...?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 31-May-16 11:48:20

I can't feel the strings confused must have burned off all the nerve endings making up bottles when I still had babies!

I get really sore boobs OP and I'm totally jealous because I still get periods, a regular ten day very light one hmm

maggiethemagpie Tue 31-May-16 12:53:56

I've had it with coils now. I'm putting my womb into retirement, not having any more kids so just had an essure sterilisation. But even if I wanted more, would go for the implant (the one that goes in your arm). At least then you can still see it's where it should be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now