washing machine door - open or shut?

(52 Posts)
yespeeps Tue 31-May-16 00:31:11

when not in use!

there's some black stuff round the rubber rim inside, I've been told to keep my door open, does it make a difference? I'm concerned it'll trip me up due to its location

don't have time to clean the black stuff, v busy single parent

Sinkingfeeling Tue 31-May-16 00:32:37

Open, always, even if it's just ajar a little. The black stuff is mould.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 31-May-16 00:34:44

Open but not wide open.

I'd give the rim a clean. Nobody's so busy they want mouldy clothes.

Primaryteach87 Tue 31-May-16 00:35:07

Open

Iamalltheyhavenow Tue 31-May-16 00:37:13

Definitely open. And the powder dispenser drawer too if you can.

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 31-May-16 00:37:55

Open. Ajar will do as long as there's air getting to the seals and drum.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Tue 31-May-16 00:38:58

Open, but it's out of the way of passing traffic. Must remember to open the drawer more often.

80sMum Tue 31-May-16 00:55:21

In my 38 years of washing machine ownership, I have always found that simply keeping the door slightly ajar is 100% effective at preventing any mould or mouldy smells from forming!

Gwenhwyfar Tue 31-May-16 01:04:12

My clothes all come out of the machine covered in fluff. It's not the machine as the previous one did the same thing so I think it might be the water pressure or something. Does anyone have any ideas? (sorry, don't know about open or close, but I would walk into mine if the door was open).

ExtraHotLatteToGo Tue 31-May-16 01:13:42

I dry the glass (the lime scale is hideous here) and leave it open for a few hours, but due to the location it gets shut before I do too much in the kitchen (bloody old fashioned english house without a utility) because otherwise I'd be constantly bashing into it, even just 'ajar'.

If I had a cat or small children it would be shut & locked - sod the black stuff.

FabFiveFreddie Tue 31-May-16 01:17:22

Door and detergent drawer always left ajar

Topseyt Tue 31-May-16 01:21:06

Open. Always. It needs air circulation in order to dry out as much as possible inside and not go mouldy and smelly.

MadamDeathstare Tue 31-May-16 03:32:11

I always leave mine open.

We have a front loader and I hadn't realized that the door seal was u-shaped and that mold was growing in the gap (which I didn't know was there). It made all the clothes stink. DH bought some washing machine cleaner and it takes about a minute to wipe it over the door seal to clean off the mold. The washing smells much better.

Obviouspretzel Tue 31-May-16 07:01:00

Oh my God I didn't know you were supposed to leave it open! It makes complete sense though, I've just always kept it shut because it looks tidier.

MsJamieFraser Tue 31-May-16 07:05:07

Open, however not understanding you saying you don't have time to clean, if you've got time to MN, you've got time to clean a washer, it takes less then 5 mins to use a scourer and some hot water.

branofthemist Tue 31-May-16 07:06:22

Open. Just a little.

You do have time to clean it. It takes a few minutes. If not you are washing clothes in mould. We got rid of ours by putting it on a 90 degree wash, so it takes the time to switch the washing machine on.

SemiNormal Tue 31-May-16 07:14:06

Obviouspretzel Same here! Ooops! I do always clean the black scummy stuff off it though so that's okay?

acasualobserver Tue 31-May-16 07:17:31

Open. If you're worried about tripping over it then just leave it open overnight.

Didn't know about the detergent drawer though - thanks people!

peggyundercrackers Tue 31-May-16 07:18:15

I've always closed mine, never had a problem with mould either.

BertieBotts Tue 31-May-16 07:19:25

Open! Not sure about worrying about cats and children. I always check mine for stray socks etc before putting a new wash load in anyway so I think I'd spot them.

Gizlotsmum Tue 31-May-16 07:19:43

I always leave it ajar...Hubby always closes it! angry so we are both camps in our house. Ajar stops it staying damp and getting mouldy in my opinion. If you already have mould clean it and start leaving the door ajar

Pollyputhtekettleon Tue 31-May-16 07:20:36

Shut! Found my 1 yr old in it the other day. My 3 yr old would not find turning it on impossible and he might shut the door on his sister b cause she annoys him. So definitely shut at all times.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 31-May-16 07:21:25

Open, always (ours is in a corner though, so not in the way). I've never bothered leaving the detergent drawer open though, we use tablets and no FC and it stays spotless. I also do a 90C wash every now and then.

firesidechat Tue 31-May-16 07:24:56

I always leave the door open, however another cause of the nasty black stuff is using liquid detergent. You get a lot less if you use powder instead.

NicknameUsed Tue 31-May-16 07:31:00

If you run a few hot washes using bio powder it will get rid of the mould anyway. I used to use laundry liquid on low temperature washes and my washer developed mould and stank the kitchen out. I now use Ariel bio and do the odd 60 degree wash. The mould and the smell have gone, and also DD's eczema (it was caused by the mould apparently).

I always leave the washer door ajar, and remove the powder drawer, and clean and dry it before putting it back. It takes seconds to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now