car boot sales? would you go if you had no money?

(14 Posts)
NoahVale Mon 30-May-16 10:19:49

I had a brain wave last night that a day out would be a car boot sale, just window shopping.
is there anything more depressing than skint no money window shopping? is it car boot sale skint window shopping?

IceMaiden73 Mon 30-May-16 10:21:14

Why not go for a walk near the river to see all the birds, or a playground (assuming you have children) x

RosieandJim89 Mon 30-May-16 10:21:16

I used to like car boot sales as a kid. There are some real treasures hidden amongst the crap. Maybe followed by a trip to a local park?

Chasingsquirrels Mon 30-May-16 10:21:23

Totally no money? Probably not.

NoahVale Mon 30-May-16 10:23:34

no children, well one teenager currently at home, others with friends. I thought she might like it.
as long as she has money, I will suggest it smile <<brain wave being she can pay wink>>

BadLad Mon 30-May-16 10:28:26

No. It's even more pointless than looking in shops when you're skint. With shops there's some chance they might still have items you see and want when paday comes around. With car boot sales you might not even see the same seller again.

It can be worth doing if you intend to buy and sell there regularly, I suppose, to get a feel for what the sellers have. I suppose you could ask stall-holders if they are regulars. I wouldn't do it as a one-off to kill time though.

GirlOverboard Mon 30-May-16 10:43:02

I would take at least £1, just in case (you can't be that skint). I always go to my local boot sale on Sunday morning. I hardly ever buy anything but it's fun to look at everyone else's junk and you never know what you're going to find (unlike in most regular shops, which I find pretty boring).

P1nkP0ppy Mon 30-May-16 10:51:48

The one's around here charge for car parking or entry on foot ........

19lottie82 Mon 30-May-16 11:26:38

that sounds like a pretty depressing day out, sorry.

However if you had £1 each you could have competition who could buy the best / tackiest item, and that could be fun?

NoahVale Mon 30-May-16 11:29:19

it does sound depressing doesnt it.
too skint even for a car boot sae sad

we are going window shopping in the big town instead

NeedACleverNN Mon 30-May-16 11:31:01

No I wouldn't.
Round here the carboots charge 20-50p upon entry anyway

blinkowl Mon 30-May-16 11:35:27

YABU! Terrible idea for a day out, sorry!

With window shopping in actual shops, you can at least imagine you might come back to buy the things you like when you get paid / win the lottery. With a car boot it's all about one-off bargains, available then and never again.

So many nicer things you could do for a day out.

listsandbudgets Mon 30-May-16 11:36:10

No. I think a walk with a picnic would be a much better way to spend a few hours

BeautifulMaudOHara Mon 30-May-16 11:36:24

I wouldn't go even if I DID have money. Hth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now